Question What would be a good Onkyo TX NR818 replacement?

shaft120

Standard Member
So, my 7yr old system is starting to creak a little.

I have an Onkyo TX NR818 feeding a Dali Zensor 7 5.1 set-up and dual outputs to TV and a Epson TW9000 1080p projector.

It's been generally a great set-up, bar the HDMI board failing on the Onkyo with a common known fault which luckily was service repaired under an warranty Onkyo finally agreed to extend to cover the known fault.

However, today the Onkyo died and I thought it was done. It's actually switched itself back on a couple of hours later - so presume was a protection circuit which tripped - but I'd already started thinking about what sort of replacement I would need, hence the ask about suggestions for a decent replacement.

I wouldn't mind adding a couple of speakers to the set-up if possible, and I'd want a new amp to cover the latest standards for video and audio and preferably support streaming to, and streaming from other devices, such as Chromecast and Google speakers in other rooms around the house.

In terms of projector I'd wanted to only upgrade when a decent price for a laser native 4k came along. One which could be used in a ambient lighted room. However, it seems this tech is being stubbornly expensive with only the 'fake' 4k offerings from Epson and Optima even in the ballpark price range.

Anyway, anything you guys and gals could suggest would be welcome!

razy60

How much are you willing to spend?, Would be the first question. .
I've got a Denon 2300 running into a 4k tv and a Epson 9300.

shaft120

Standard Member
How much are you willing to spend?, Would be the first question. .
I've got a Denon 2300 running into a 4k tv and a Epson 9300.
Thanks for the reply.
Well I paid about £1000 for the Onkyo, but obviously if I can fine a replacement which gives me the same sort of quality as the 818 and adds some channels and functionality for £500, then I'd opt for that. I saw the Denon 2500 / 3500 and 4500h, and the Onkyo NR686 (786 looked good as a 9.1 version, but looks like not available in UK??), and the Sony DN STR1080. All seem to have good reviews, with the Denon top end 4500 taking the most plaudits. However, I have no idea if the extra money would bring an equivalent value add, vs my quite happy experience with the fidelity from the 818.

As an update the AMP has been switching off and on, intermittently, restarting the HDMI card and some of the video occasionally looks a little choppy. It's usable but not sure if on its last legs or just has a short. I'll give it a proper vacuum and inspection at the weekend and see if it makes a difference.

andym81

imo I'd go for the 4500 if your going to use the features. If not go for the 3500.
I went from an onkyo 646 to a x4300 a few years back, definitely worth the money. The

denon has better overall sound and more detail than the onkyo but does sound more laid back.
The UK version of the 786 will be the rz 730 although I'm not 100%
If you wait the 4500 will probably drop near £800ish

razy60

If you only want to add a couple of channels then I'd say the Denon 3500. Possibly the Marantz 6012 or 6013 or Denon 4500 wou give you the best options for connections with 9.2 channels.

badgerman

Just to bump this. Thinking of upgrading my NR818 to get 4K pass through. I only use 5.1 with B&W 601s3/60/600/XxLS400. Firestick 4K stream and Xboxone.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Just to bump this. Thinking of upgrading my NR818 to get 4K pass through. I only use 5.1 with B&W 601s3/60/600/XxLS400. Firestick 4K stream and Xboxone.
That´s a good quite beefy receiver with a hefty 40lbs weight! Marantz SR8012 & Denon X6500H would be similar level, but as you don´t need so many channels you could look lower ranges aswell depending of your budget etc.

Denon X3600H - 689£ from Peter Tyson with 6year warranty. X4500H should drop again down to 800£ and some members got it through ebay for 750£ with some discount thing.

Yamaha RX-A1080 could drop down to 700£ mark on June after new models come, possibly some demo unit could come available also. Fine option if you are just running 5.1 system.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom