what will system stats be like in about 10 years from now?

oxygenuk

Banned
well i say 10 years as everything deserves that saying related to computer and video games (eg. look at 1985 then 1995 ;) ) (and look at 1995 to 2005! :eek: )

now graphics is a big player in all of that but graphical horse power isnt the only thing that runs them type of things and look at apps like nero and adobe photoshop and norton for instance (resource eaters)

the current realistic approach to specs these days is probly about a 3.0ghz processor and 512mb of ram with something like a 80gb HDD if your a mainstream customer and dont build them yourselfs

so coming from that angle what will the specs be like in 10 years from now?

i currently have 2800 sempron, 768mb ram, 120gb hdd and geforce 6200 256mb graphics

if i was to transform that pc into a pc from the year 2015 i think my stats would stand like:

7800mhz quad core, 8gb ram, 2 TB hdd, geforce ???? 1gb graphics card.

some of the above we may not see till further past 10 years but thats my opinion right there

whats yours?

i expect replys as this took about 10 minutes to write :devil:

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
I think your extrapolation is quite conservative...If Moore's law continues it will be much better than that...The problem is how do you measure better? A good example is a trend that Apple (amongst others) has started where better equals less Mhz/Ghz, so better becomes more efficient...You see that today in AMD who (to not loose the public support) keep quoting Intel figures whilst their are actually much more efficient...And even Intel is starting to go back now....

I think organic and self-chaning (the Rise of the machines) is going to make the real difference...That is if Moore's law is coming to an end soon....

Ah well, it's all speculation but you have you reply ;-)

Pezerinno

Will we still be using silicon chips in ten years time? I don't think we'll see 8ghz chips, they'll just be much more efficient and multi core. Ram disks will be the norm with physics chips helping the gfx.

eternaldark

theres only so much you can do with silicon until the laws of physics throw a strop, so in todays terms you would probably be hard pushed to get beyond the 4ghz barrier.

The real increase will be the advent of quantum computing or using quasi-organic processors so the definition of Xghz will be meaningless as the processors operate on different principles and therefore the calculation to measure speed and raw processing power will be different to what we are used to now.

Just to point out a quantum processor will be WELL fast, and with such processing grunt behind it, there would be no need for graphic cards as everything could be done with software :lesson:

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
eternaldark said:
Just to point out a quantum processor will be WELL fast, and with such processing grunt behind it, there would be no need for graphic cards as everything could be done with software :lesson:
I've heard that several times before in my lifetime :rotfl: Never seen it happen. Reason: Our expectation equally raise the game, by then I want to go on my virtual holiday to see the triple breasted w&*(e's from planet Beta Z....

Unless hardware becomes software....But then again even that technology is already available...Nah as long as we play it by the rules as science does today we won't see any shocking change...

P

Peachy

Hi all, newbie here.

Its an interesting subject. There are some who think we are approaching a technological singularity. Which in laymans terms (the only ones i understand) is where if you have an exponential graph of technological advancement vs time, the tech line goes vertical. In other words you wont be wondering what the spec will be like in 10 years time rather what the spec will be like tommorow.

Needless to say i'm lookinf forward to it.

Slinkoff

as people have already pointed out, ideas like x amount of ram and y mhz cpus will most likely be irrelevant and obsolete. System architecture will have changed by then, maybe even quantum computing will be a reality.

My belief though is that everything will become centrally served and centrally processed. We'll all have WYSE-type terminals and we'll stream all the media we want. play games online, all subscription based all you need to do is login using your fingerprint or retina scan, which can be built into your input device or screen, perhaps even VR headset. The internet will no longer be predominantly text based but an immersive fully multimedia experience, websites will become channels and all that will matter will be the speed of your connection to the virtual world, and that will probably be of the order of a multi-gigabit link.

I think it's quite frightening actually. Forget brave new world or 1984, I reckon the real problem that lies ahead in the centuries to come is that we'll be so immersed in our technology, entertainment and escapism that real-world interaction will suffer. The virtual world might be more attractive than the real one for a lot of people.

Don't think we'll be quite there in 10 years though.

Top Bottom