What will make the biggest difference?

Personally I would get a used CM Centre 2 (or S2 version) to go with the CM2s up front. Both use 6.5” drivers and have good sensivity. Some on eBay right now.

I have an HTM6 in my living room system (with 606 mains and 607 side surrounds) and it’s OK but nothing special. It’s relatively inefficient and lacks the scale of the larger 6.5” driver B&W centre speakers. It is nowhere near as good as the 15 year old twin 6.5” driver B&W LCR600 S3 centre in my HT room where I watch movies.

Had an lcr600 at one point , they are a lovely center

Personally I would get a used CM Centre 2 (or S2 version) to go with the CM2s up front. Both use 6.5” drivers and have good sensivity. Some on eBay right now.

I have an HTM6 in my living room system (with 606 mains and 607 side surrounds) and it’s OK but nothing special. It’s relatively inefficient and lacks the scale of the larger 6.5” driver B&W centre speakers. It is nowhere near as good as the 15 year old twin 6.5” driver B&W LCR600 S3 centre in my HT room where I watch movies.
Just checked and it's CM1s I've got at the front 🤦🏻‍♂️ Would the same centre speaker still be best option? I would be slightly worried about buying a second hand one especially as they are quite old now!

Had an lcr600 at one point , they are a lovely center
I think so and will be very careful when I eventually get round to replacing it. I bought it on run-off in 2007 with a pair of DM603 S3s which make up the LCRs in my HT room - these were the last 600 series to be made at the Worthing factory.

Just checked and it's CM1s I've got at the front 🤦🏻‍♂️ Would the same centre speaker still be best option? I would be slightly worried about buying a second hand one especially as they are quite old now!
Well, the "CM Centre" was designed to be paired with the CM1 so technically that's the best match. There's one on eBay for £250 but open to offers. I wouldn't be too worried about age as the rubber surrounds used on these should be good for at least 20 years.

Re. other options, any B&W centre with 5.25" drivers would probably match reasonably well so I guess you could use an HTM6. You could then always swap the CM1s around with the 607s which is supposed to be the best match for that centre. As I said I have one of these and it's not a bad speaker at all, it just lacks the dynamic punchiness you get with a larger, more efficient speaker.

If you have the space and budget though, personally I would be looking to create a front soundstage that comprised 6.5" driver speakers. Unfortunately, B&W no longer make a larger 6.5" driver centre speaker in the 600 series so if you're buying new you'd have to move up to the more expensive 700 series or look at other brands.

Have you compared the 607 and CM1 at front which sound you like more? The CM range suppose to be better, more "audiophile range" over the budget 600s. CM / 700 serie. The new B&Ws suppose to sound quite different to some of the older models. It`s questionable why they boost the high frequencies so much. There is much better speakers out there these days.

Do you have this S1 model at rear of room now?

Have you compared the 607 and CM1 at front which sound you like more? The CM range suppose to be better, more "audiophile range" over the budget 600s. CM / 700 serie. The new B&Ws suppose to sound quite different to some of the older models. It`s questionable why they boost the high frequencies so much. There is much better speakers out there these days.

Do you have this S1 model at rear of room now?

Thanks, yes have the CM1 at front as I thought they sounded better and have the ones you linked to at the back. I guess I should have got HTM7 for the front as i believe the 7 series at the updated CM? I am sure that the HTM6 + CM1 at front (with 607 at back) will be good enough for my needs short term. Currently using the TV (Sony A90J) in centre so if the HTM6 is not a noticeable improvement I will just return and look at HTM7 or another solution.

Thanks, yes have the CM1 at front as I thought they sounded better and have the ones you linked to at the back. I guess I should have got HTM7 for the front as i believe the 7 series at the updated CM? I am sure that the HTM6 + CM1 at front (with 607 at back) will be good enough for my needs short term. Currently using the TV (Sony A90J) in centre so if the HTM6 is not a noticeable improvement I will just return and look at HTM7 or another solution.

Sure it´s better than the "soundbar" speaker in your tv, but for 279£ i feel it´s still overpriced but that is how B&W products are priced sadly. @goatlips had that one for some time and i remember he wasn´t specifically happy with it. I think the 603 towers were good, but the center channel lacked, maybe he can write few words.

Center channel still most active speaker in your system and i would rather choose something larger/higher range than other way around. You kinda know it`s compromise and never be happy, taking hit when selling it forward later on too.

What about the black CM S2 i linked was it 300£? Definitely better than the HTM6 as they can´t make big jumps with budget ranges due to given budget engineer has to work with. Drivers, cabinet, audio crossover component quality...

Sure it´s better than the "soundbar" speaker in your tv, but for 279£ i feel it´s still overpriced but that is how B&W products are priced sadly. @goatlips had that one for some time and i remember he wasn´t specifically happy with it. I think the 603 towers were good, but the center channel lacked, maybe he can write few words.

Center channel still most active speaker in your system and i would rather choose something larger/higher range than other way around. You kinda know it`s compromise and never be happy, taking hit when selling it forward later on too.

What about the black CM S2 i linked was it 300£? Definitely better than the HTM6 as they can´t make big jumps with budget ranges due to given budget engineer has to work with. Drivers, cabinet, audio crossover component quality...

Yeah just a bit apprehensive about buying second hand. Have messaged the sellers with a few questions about condition. Not discounting them yet.

As you are getting the Mono sub you could consider the new Encore C6 centre speaker and then at some stage swap out your current L&R for the B6 bookshelf speakers. At their prices it would cost very little to change as the centre is only about £230 new.

American audio will have them in stock shortly.

As you are getting the Mono sub you could consider the new Encore C6 centre speaker and then at some stage swap out your current L&R for the B6 bookshelf speakers. At their prices it would cost very little to change as the centre is only about £230 new.

American audio will have them in stock shortly.

Lets see how I get on with the sub first!

Quite, I guess we will know by end of the week then😁 if you don't love it I will be very surprised.

Have set up a poll as can't make my mind up on centre speaker.

To summarise, I've bought the HTM6 - audiot.co.uk/p-9900238-bw-htm6-centre-spkr-matte-black.aspx

This is other option - B&W CM Centre S2 Speaker Black Bowers & Wilkins | eBay

Or something different.
CM S2 if you going to keep the CM1s. The below model is new version of the one you looking. Just to show it probably costed about same back in the day and should be good step up from HTM 6.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
CM S2 if you going to keep the CM1s. The below model is new version of the one you looking. Just to show it probably costed about same back in the day and should be good step up from HTM 6.

Hmmm so £750 for a new HTM7 or £300 for the old CM S2. Is £300 a good price?

Hmmm so £750 for a new HTM7 or £300 for the old CM S2. Is £300 a good price?

No idea how much those typically go, but if you compare the 300£ to the older one (S1) going 250£ i would certainly pick this newer one! I believe ebay is on buyers side if the product is not in shape mentioned in the add or if it has fault. You should call the person if that is possible and talk rather than message. I would feel safer.

This is all going well. Upgraded my receiver to the new Denon 3800. Now i have that 5x B&W speakers (2xCM2, 2x606 and HTM6) and the Monolith sub. Now I've got a more capable receiver am considering Atmos/ceiling speakers.

Any recommendations on whether I should just get upfiring Atmos ones or ceiling speakers?

Any recommendations on whether I should just get upfiring Atmos ones or ceiling speakers?
If you fit the inceiling speakers and providing your ceiling is not too low then correctly placed inceiling speakers will be the best. You will have to make sure you have the locations in respect of your seating right first time otherwise you'll be drilling holes in the wrong place.

If you are going for upfiring speakers then, again the ceiling plays an important part. It should be bertween 7.5 ft and 14 ft in height, be made of a reflective material and perfectly flat. The upfiring speakers should be placed on or as near as possible to the front and surround speakers and no more than 50% of the height of the ceiling.

A third alternative, which can be covered by upfiring speakers because they no invariably come with keyhole fittings, is to place them on the front and back wall as high as possible and in line with the front and surround/rear surround speakers.

If you fit the inceiling speakers and providing your ceiling is not too low then correctly placed inceiling speakers will be the best. You will have to make sure you have the locations in respect of your seating right first time otherwise you'll be drilling holes in the wrong place.

If you are going for upfiring speakers then, again the ceiling plays an important part. It should be bertween 7.5 ft and 14 ft in height, be made of a reflective material and perfectly flat. The upfiring speakers should be placed on or as near as possible to the front and surround speakers and no more than 50% of the height of the ceiling.

A third alternative, which can be covered by upfiring speakers because they no invariably come with keyhole fittings, is to place them on the front and back wall as high as possible and in line with the front and surround/rear surround speakers.

Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom