What will Lucas change in the originals and what SHOULD he change?

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I think if Lucas is going to change anything to improve the original Star Wars trilogy further he should improve some of the duff effects in all 3.
3PO looks too false at the arrival at Mos Eisley.
In Empire the stop motion AT-ATs and speeders look crap and asteroid chase suffers from blueing of the dark elements.
Also some effects in the Ewok battle are iffy. Like the speeder getting wrapped around the tree.
One thing I'd put money on, though is the removal of the visual of Han cutting open the TomTom. I bet Lucas replaces it with Han making Luke a nice piping hot bowl of Readybrek.

Lucas will modify almost all the effects shots in all three films. Most likely new scenes will be added or modified in order to fit in with the prequel trilogy (eg Alderaan, gunguns, different face on Anakin maybe etc) There may even be some conitinuity errors corrected, such as the bleeding arm in Mos Eisley cantina and the different Emperor actor in Empire.

As for the AT-AT's in Empire, I really don't think they need to be altered, except for cleaning up the composites. The stop motion effect gives them a real mechanical feel which to me defines what was clever about them.

The Jedi speeders - definitely agree with you.

And to continue your breakfast theme - C3PO can now shout "Because he's holding a hot bagel".

In the same vein as removing the TomTom guts (which follows on from shooting Greedo first and removing several of the blaster hits on troopers in the cellblock battle) I bet Lucas steralises it even more by removing the severed arm altogether.
Watching Empire again today I really felt like Yoda - at the end of his life - had lost all the dignity he had in Episode II and had become too much of a fuddy miss piggy type character.
I don't think for a moment they'll replace Alec Guinness.
But I agree they'll probably replace the Emperor.
I really hope they change the Greedo shooting back to it's original form. It was far, far better having Han shoot first.
Another thing which strikes me as possibly inappropriate is the comic death of Boba Fet.
Backpack fires uncontrollably, sending him crashing into the sail barge and falling into pit of Sarlac to be swallowed with a resounding belch. mmm

He should change nothing!

The first 3 star wars are far beyond PM and AOTC.

Originally posted by Sinzer
He should change nothing!

The first 3 star wars are far beyond PM and AOTC.

Agreed - infact if anything the poor quality of I and II have diffused my interest in owning DVDs of IV V and VI.

The shot of the Super Star Destroyer crashing into the Death Star in ROTJ definitely needs updating - very poor sfx...

I agree about the meteor chase, and the battle on Hoth - the Rebel Snow Speeders are often completely out of scale...

keep the original films as they were but update the special effects would be good.

The main bits that bug me are.

1. The Rancor.

2. When the Millenium Falcon is chased out of the asteroid. Is it a worm? or is it Lucas cutting the budget by stuffing his nob through a potato?

Remaster the special effects so they are exactly the same sequence but with with modern cgi.

And change back the fobbed up bit with solo shooting the bounty hunter in mos eisley, I couldnt believe it where they spent ages redoing it and it looked poop!

Remove the solo walking over jabas tail, Thats naff.

The problem is that you put new CGI in with the old footage and it makes both look lame.

The remastered editions are already a travesty and I reckon he will just make it worse. I am not really a Star Wars maniac, but I know when I see over meddling.

What should he change: Nothing.
What will he change: Everything.

Someone else made a good point regarding this. Think of all the original FX teams who worked their asses off to create (at that time) cutting edge effects which revolutionized the film industry. In a couple of years, none of their original work will be left. How would you like to be one of these people, knowing that your contribution to film history has been digitally removed and abandoned?

I don't really care what he changes as long as the dvds have the option to watch either the original or the remastered editions.... like that's ever gonna happen

I am with monkey boy on the Rancor in ROTJ, it is by far the worst scene in the first (last) 3 films.

I thought they would of given it some attention when they did the special editions but looks the same to me.

I think rather than replace scenes in the original three, he should remake them completely from scratch.

The only things that need changing are the only things that ever needed changing - the poor opticals (ie the Rancor). Even the stop motion Tauntauns looked pretty good. They definately need to put the cardboard cutout rebels back in.

And apparently that worm thing had Alec Guiness's hand in it.

i am a star wars maniac and i dont think i would like them changed again,i liked the original the way they were and whenever i need to watch them i pop the old definative collection lasers in,the 1997 sp editions were great for the clean up etc but i hate the greedo scene like allmost everyone else,he cant touch empire because that is the best of all movies,in jedi he could edit the rancor scene and clean it up a bit,other than that i think lucas will add scenes to explain the bail organna role more and extra scenes on alderaan,

Originally posted by MrFurious
i am a star wars maniac and i dont think i would like them changed again,

I don't think we get a choice in the matter! :rolleyes:

I'm not a big fan of lucas, what as he ever really done as a director other then star wars. The new films are poor imo, and the best of all the star wars films- The Empire Strikes Back, was not even directed by him

keaneyboy-what has he done as a director,come on mate,how could you forget the magic that is HOWARD THE DUCK:eek:

Originally posted by MrFurious
keaneyboy-what has he done as a director,come on mate,how could you forget the magic that is HOWARD THE DUCK:eek:
I saw that once when I was drunk about 10 years ago and thought it was great. Haven't dared watch it since, 'cause I know it will be sh*te!

Cheers,
Liam

Oh i take it all back, because i loved howard the duck. No, i really did.

I looked at his biog today, i never spotted that

He should put Vader saying 'Bring my Shuttle' back in EpV
Re-do the CGI image of Jabba in EpIV as he looks too skinny
Oh, while he's at it should he re-do EpI & II get rid of Jar-Jar Binks,
The worst bit of CGI ever created IMO....:mad: :mad: :p :devil:

Do you think he is embarrassed about Jar Jar et al after watching The Lord of the Rings?

I wouldn't think so, why should he be? As annoying as Jar Jar is, he is still a great example of CGI, one of the best.

Ok Gollum probably is the best to date, but most of that comes from the actor, gollum doesn't "look" any better than Jar Jar, Yoda or Watto(who I might add doesn't even come across as CGI, totally awesome stuff) but he definately has more of a character driven role, it's great to watch him argue with himself, kudos to Andy Serkis.

Anyway, about the originals, I dunno...I don't mind what he does, the more Star Wars the better imo. I think he should give the option to watch either the Special Editions or Originals, hopefully he will.

I think people criticize the Prequels and Special Editions too much, mainly because they are WAYYYY too attached to the originals. It's all the same, it's all Star Wars, let go of the attachment, stop wanting to hate them because you don't want them to be better than the originals...

Ep I and II were, imo, excellent so he can leave them alone, possibly edit some of the stupid lines Anakin/Jar Jar have but the bulk of it is good.

I agree i love episodes 1 and 2, but for me WETA are a better company than Lucasfilm and have shifted the goalposts and all the other digital effects companies are now playing catchup.

Gollum is the best CGI work to date in any film, you can feel the emotion in this character (( you can't with Jar Jar ))

Perfect scenario for me would be if they ditched the Greedo shoots first scene, ditched some of the added sound effects from Empire (( Luke falling down Cloud City with that annoying ahhh ))
Add some visual effects using CGI but don't go overboard on it and completely redo the soundtrack from scratch so it sounds superb in Dolby EX or DTS ES for the home.

Thing is that in there own right, the new films are very poor imo.

Completely forgettable

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom