1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What will I need?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rb10, Jan 23, 2005.

1. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

im a new member but been browsing a couple of weeks now. after reading through a lot of posts I've come to a stage where im considering buying:

Pioneer 505XDE

TOSHIBA RDXS32 for the recording business
    and a
    PIONEER DV868AVi DVD PLAYER

now got a few questions which I would be greatful if some of you could answer.

1) which speakers should I get to complete the setup? im looking for satellites costing max £300-400?

2) will I need an AV receiver or will the pio 868 coupled with decent speakers do the job? if so then any recommendations?

3) what else will I need to complete my system, Im gonna get the JS tech RGB-VGA converter as recommended here but what else? will i need any scart/component boards etc? I've also got sky+ and another satellite receiver to connect + a PS2

4) decided to go for the Toshiba combined with the 868 (rather than say the pioneer 920H) as i will be playing using HDMI not really recording (as sky+ not HD yet anyway and blu-ray etc. coming later on) so this way I've got two top systems rather than a good DVD recorder and an average (as ive read) player. what do you think? wise choice in getting these two?

any opinions would be much appreciated.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    A DVD player cannot run speakers, so an amp will be needed. Forget the RGB to VGA converter, not suitable for your choice of screen and in any case you have 2 RGB scarts on the media box. There are no expansion cards available for this model, so forget that, and I'd reckon a mid range Denon better value than the Pioneer DVD in general, but with Pioneer you can make do with 1 remote between them I believe, and as you know, simple is good in remote controls.

3. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply MAW

was considering getting a Denon but comments on this board didnt exactly instill me with confidence, also obviously want HDMI which is in the 2910/3910 only I think, 2910 being about £200-250 cheaper than the Pio 868 which is good but then as you say having a single remote would be good but reviews for the Pio seem to be all good.

any advice on the amp + speakers? looking for satellites only, but dont mind going the seperates route.

cheers

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Satellites only? You gonna use the xde speakers for L&R? What about a centre? Or you mean use the xde for centre and then 4 satellites? If the former, you might get away with a Yamaha 800 processor, a DECENT centre and 2 small surround speakers. Bit of a funny idea, but would give you TV in stereo for east benders etc, and full surround for DVD, the rugby etc. Balancing it would be tricky, but possible.

5. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    was considering using the xde as the centre.

ok what if going for a complete speaker package sats, centre + sub? and obviously the amp.

thanks again

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Just personal, but the XDE speakers are a bit underwhelming with a stonking great screen like that, but then any surround system for £400 is going to be too. You might run to a VSX100 pioneer and a tannoy FX5.1 system for that, which would be the strangest mix with an 868 and a 505!!! You really need to kick some butt here. Go for the denon, and spend the change on sound.

7. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cant really argue with that, makes sense. so what will it be then? say I spend an 200-400 quid on the speaker package (£800 max) and get the Denon 2910 instead of the pio 868.

by the way any opinions on the Toshiba RDXS32 anyone?

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    C'mon guys it's my day off, where are you all? The world is your oyster almost, there. Maybe a Yam 650 amp? Onkyo 502? speakers, very much a matter of style, think of splitting your budget 40% amp 60% speakers, have alook at some sub/sat packages. You must be able to find something in that price range that 'er indoors can stand looking at and kicks your furry little butt! Mission? Tannoy? Elac?

9. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers MAW, really appreciate it.

the mans right where are the rest of you samaritans??? :)

10. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also in regards to the 505XDE, am thinking of doing a pricematch from John Lewis (with the 5yr warranty) with a local shop which is doing the XDE for £3850 including delivery. but the JL website has the 505xde as PDP-505XDE-TE. whats the TE bit at the end for? is it another model?

by the way still looking for more recommendations on amps+sub/sat speakers for £700-800.

RB :thumbsup:

11. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    rb10

You've fallen into a Classic trap - choosing components based on price is no way to go about selecting your best options.

You need to achieve a balance between Sound and Vision in your listening/viewing environment.

You don't say what size your room is and if you like to listen loud or not - most folk do :)

The PlasmaTV speakers are OK for watching the news but that's about it.

You seem mixed-up re the Pioneer DVR-920-H player/recorder its an Analogue Input (SCART RGB or S-Video) Recorder with integral Hard Drive and a Digital (HDMI) Video Output.

In absolute Video terms the DVR-920-H is probably slightly behind the DV-868AVi Player - even though they both output via HDMI; where your budget is tight it makes no sense to buy a DVD Recorder + DV-868AVi and then have no budget left for a decent sound system.

How much of your viewing is DVD vs. Broadcast TV - no sense in piling loads of cash into the expensive DVD player + duff sound system if you watch mostly broadcast material.

In an 'average' 3m x 4m room you'll want to consider something more along the lines of a:

DVD Player/Recorder - VDR-920-H (see http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=9550&taxonomy_id=62-125)

AV Receiver - Pioneer VSX-2014i with Automated set up (see http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=9148&taxonomy_id=62-98)

5:1 Speaker system - Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro + MPS150 Sub. See http://www.roundsound.com/micro.html and http://www.roundsound.com/mps150.html

If your budget allows then you could equally go with the DV-868AVi DVD player plus entry level DVD Recorder - but not if it means sacrificing on the sound system to such a drastic extent as per your initial post.

If your budget is tight and unless you have a big DVD collection I'd want to stick with the AV Receiver + Speakers as shown above and go for a much less costly DVD player (the DV-575A is still around and is an excellent unit for sub 200 GBP).

I find that for many of our customers SKY or a Freeview tuner are the 'main' viewing source and DVD an 'occasional' source - no sense watching many hours of Broadcast TV with duff sound to ensure you've got a crisper Video signal on the odd occasion you watch a DVD.

Go with a decent dealer who can ensure your system is pre configured and installed correctly - much more valuable than any savings JL can offer you :)

Any questions please do shout!

Best regards

Joe

PS PDP-505XDE-TE is simply the stock code for the 50" XDE bundled with a Table Top Stand and the Short (Silver) under mount/side mount speakers.

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well said, Joe. It's normally me who dares to be up front about these things. Indeed ditching the separate player makes sense, and getting even better sound. I was too timid by half! And the 2014 and Pioneer DVDR will give just 1 remote, saving £500 on a programmed pronto.... must be right. It's Pioneer's marketing of HDMI that causes this 'mis-education' of customers. I find it's common amongst XDE buyers in particular. I have one client with an XDE 50 who we had the most terrible struggle to sell any sound at all to.

14. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply Joe

well to be honest, as far as loudness goes, i'd say loud would be good, though I do live in a flat and we've got the neighbours upstairs to think about too. the room size is about 5m X 7 m so a reasonable sized room. Also most of the viewing will be from Sky and not DVD's.

Im glad I posted on this forum before buying anything. I was under the impression that the Pio 920H was HDMI IN+OUT didnt realise it was just output. cheers for that.

in terms of budget I had previously set aside £1600 for bits and bobs apart from the plasma. I do want a DVDR/HDD as part of the package, but was hesitant on the Pio 920H as like you said theres a difference between its output and the 868's. having decided that I'd like the HDMI feature in the screen, I thought it would make sense getting HDMI in the DVD player. if as you guys say I should cut down on how much I spend on the DVD bits and use it to get a better sound system then what would you think of the following,

the 2014 receiver + Anthony Gallo sats + sub as Joe recommended + the Tosh DVDR + the samsung 945 (HDMI) which i read about in another thread. this should come to about to roughly £2100 (if top notch then I could swallow it JUST!!). any comments on the Samsung?? or should I get some Canton speakers for nearly a quarter of the price of the anthony gallos and get a better DVD player.

also might be considering a scaler later on depending on how the plasma beds in with the sky so want to leave some dosh for that too.

keep it up guys been a great help already. :thumbsup:

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    rb10

The combination of the Samsung 945 for DVD playback and Toshiba DVR for archiving seems pretty sensible - the Samsung players do seem to fair pretty well for sound and video playback.

It would be good to know if the Samsung supports Interlaced (480i and 576i) on its HDMI output - that way you can best benefit from the addition of an external Video Processor; many HDMI equipped players only output Progressive signals; which will still work with the Video Processor* just not as well.

(*Not all Video Processors are capable of Processing an HDMI signal).

The Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro/MPS150 + Pioneer AV Receiver is a tried and tested combination we've supplied on numerous occasions; I certainly wouldn't advocate going for a less costly 5:1 speaker set up (especially so in a 5m x 7m room).

Again keep in mind its a mater of achieving a 'balanced' system - which is difficult when the PlasmaTV is such a big chunk of the budget.

Numerous times weve been called back to a customers house who insisted on a 'big' PlasmaTV + all-in-one 'Lifestyle' Home Entertainment system and were asked to 'Fix' the sound! Its dead easy - rip out the 'Lifestyle system' and install a decent AV Receiver and 5:1 speaker set-up :)

Best regards

Joe

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    With the size of your room, may I back Joe up on his suggestion for sound again. That's a lot of air to push around, there are a few other amps you could consider, but the Pio is a sensible choice. At this point in the market there are few holes to pick in any of them. Not the case with all speakers, and the Gallos have an awesome reputation, wholly borne out in practice too. They are quite astonishing from such cute little things. I use them for the 3 rears in my system. (my fronts are built in)