What will i need to pay for sky HD?

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
right im trying to work out how much this is going to cost me.

im a new subscriber never had sky before. il need dish, install and everything.

i see on skys website they normally waive the install fee. but will they do that for a new product?

it seems hardly fair that il get a new dish and everything while others pay the same for just a box?

so what will it be? any experiance from skydigital and sky+ early adopters?

EDIT: Also will i be able to get first 4 months half price?

andypearce

I suspect you will have to pay whatever the current deal is for new installs which I think is free installation and 4 months half price on the main package. You will then have to pay the additional cost of a Sky HDbox as apposed to a standard Digibox - prive tbc. If you are subscribing to the full pakcage then you will have to pay the HD sub (my guess is still £10 per month) which will also give you Sky+ functionality.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
ha ha, id need a first first! stupid council accomodation :mad:

well i've rang BT and they are installing me a phone line on the 23rd. £10pm is the cheapest i could find (needs to be installed as no box on the wall!)

still think its stupid that i have to get a phone line just so i can watch sky! :mad:

homerdog

I heard today that the HD box will cost £300 for new subscribers and between £150 and £200 for existing subscribers.

Please don't flame me for saying this, just repeating what I heard :)

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
well if thats the case i may aswell subscribe to sky+ then upgrade to HD and save myself a packet :p (not to mention getting a box for free!)

blakey1

Cant see the above. Was the Salesman trying to sell you Sky+?

Sky are well known for treating existing customers badly. Sky+ is £260 for existing customers and therefore I cant see Sky HD coming in cheaper.

If anything new customers will get any deals. I can see Sky HD being £399 for existing customers who wont take out multiroom.

Jonstone

I know why they do it, but I for one am getting a little fed up at the better offers for new subscribers than for existing ones.

Having been a subscriber to sky almost since its inception, mostly on the full subscription, I would like to think that keeping a proven loyal subscriber happy should be just as important as luring a new customer who may or may not stay with them.

If sky offer cheaper hd installation to new subscribers as I suspect they will, then I will just cancel my sub until christmas to pay for the box and installation so they will be no better off.

Tbh now I mention it, that doesn't seem like such a bad idea at all :)

silverswood

Had + installed today and the bloke said he went to a seminar thing yesterday where they said the boxes would be about £300 and subs would be the similar to + ie 2 premium packs and you get it free otherwise its £10 per month....Just what I was told so please dont shoot the messenger:)
Advised me to wait though as not all HD channels are true HD at the mo plus the fact that prices are bound to fall in about six months (that was a no brainer really)

Starburst

Distinguished Member
silverswood said:
Advised me to wait though as not all HD channels are true HD at the mo plus the fact that prices are bound to fall in about six months (that was a no brainer really)

Yep a channel like SKY1 does not have enough new content to go native HD 24/7 especially if it is a simulcast in SD and HD.
A lot of the content will be upscaled by SKY at source but that will still be a better image for a HD display than the plain SD version.

Prices will fall but as to the time frame that is anyones guess, if it sells well then any price reduction either via subsidy or through a second gen prioduct may be delayed until the market levels off.

Pebb

Distinguished Member
This whole Sky HD thing could cost either an arm and a leg, so guys get your arms and legs ready to sell on. Or it will either cost not an arm and a leg.

M-C-P-M

Jonstone said:
If sky offer cheaper hd installation to new subscribers as I suspect they will, then I will just cancel my sub until christmas to pay for the box and installation so they will be no better off.
unfortunately you can't do that they have a record of anyone who has had sky in the past and won't let you close your account and then re-open at a later date:oops: at least i don't think so I tried to do that when Sky+ was out and it was cheaper for new customers they just said they wouldn't let me!!!!:nono:

Pebb

Distinguished Member
the_caretaker, so you will not have to sell any of your arms and legs to rise the cash to buy Sky HD + or will you lol.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
the_caretaker said:
unfortunately you can't do that they have a record of anyone who has had sky in the past and won't let you close your account and then re-open at a later date:oops: at least i don't think so I tried to do that when Sky+ was out and it was cheaper for new customers they just said they wouldn't let me!!!!:nono:

im sure you could enforce them to drop it by law. i think companies are not allowed to keep details of ex customers longer than 6 months(or something like that)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom