What will I get from a BP via spdif if my receiver doesn't do TrueHD or DTS-HD

Sun

Hello,

I'm looking at investing in a Blu-ray player, i'm new to the party and my av receiver, a Pioneer VSX-1016 does not do DTS-HD or TrueHD however it does have multi channel inputs.

It seems the number of players with analogue outputs is pretty slim (although I'm open to recommendations if they have some good NAS streaming capabilities too).

If I cannot find a good multi channel option that leaves me with optical and coax. I will be content if I can get normal DTS or 5.1 from a Blu-ray player but how straight forward is that? Will it just downmix naturally from the new variants and will it be as good as normal 5.1 or DTS?

For instance I was just reading LG BP520 and it says I have the following options, would I choose Bitstream?

[PCM Stereo] (HDMI, OPTICAL)
Select if you connect this unit's HDMI OUT or
DIGITAL AUDIO OUT jack to a device with twochannel
digital stereo decoder.
[PCM Multi-Ch] (HDMI only)
Select if you connect this unit's HDMI OUT jack
to a device with multi-channel digital decoder.
[DTS Re-Encode] (HDMI, OPTICAL)
Select if you connect this unit's HDMI OUT or
DIGITAL AUDIO OUT jack to a device with DTS
decoder.
[BitStream] (HDMI, OPTICAL)
Select if you connect this unit's DIGITAL AUDIO
OUT and HDMI OUT jack to a device with
LPCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby
TrueHD, DTS and DTS-HD decoder.
It's very confusing but there must be lots of people who don't want to upgrade their receiver yet.

Thanks
Sun

toodeep

For instance I was just reading LG BP520 and it says I have the following options, would I choose Bitstream?
Choose the re-encode option for players that have it (typically LG or Samsung) for the best audio via optical/coax. These players will convert the audio into max rate DTS or DD for audio that, whilst not being HD, can still better DTS or DD found on DVDs. Even players that don't re-encode will output the DTS or DD core of the respective HD audio variant over optical/coax. In the latter case HD PCM will only be rendered in stereo though.

CJROSS

Do a search on DTS Re Encode in this forum. Plenty of threads and reading.

Sun

awesome thank you toodeep, I now see you have previously answered many a thread on this too CJROSS, thanks.

I will only look for players that do re encode then, no point having it in stereo.

toodeep

FWIW DTS re-encoding can offer higher bit-rates than DD re-encoding and might sound better. Cambridge Audio & Oppo players will also do what you want but only re-encode if there is a secondary audio stream on the disc I understand - this being the players' potential mechanism for blending audio - which not all discs have.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Amazon Prime Video in August 2020. Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom