What will I get from a BP via spdif if my receiver doesn't do TrueHD or DTS-HD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Sun, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hello,

I'm looking at investing in a Blu-ray player, i'm new to the party and my av receiver, a Pioneer VSX-1016 does not do DTS-HD or TrueHD however it does have multi channel inputs.

It seems the number of players with analogue outputs is pretty slim (although I'm open to recommendations if they have some good NAS streaming capabilities too).

If I cannot find a good multi channel option that leaves me with optical and coax. I will be content if I can get normal DTS or 5.1 from a Blu-ray player but how straight forward is that? Will it just downmix naturally from the new variants and will it be as good as normal 5.1 or DTS?

For instance I was just reading LG BP520 and it says I have the following options, would I choose Bitstream?

It's very confusing but there must be lots of people who don't want to upgrade their receiver yet.

Thanks
    Sun

2. toodeep

toodeep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    Choose the re-encode option for players that have it (typically LG or Samsung) for the best audio via optical/coax. These players will convert the audio into max rate DTS or DD for audio that, whilst not being HD, can still better DTS or DD found on DVDs. Even players that don't re-encode will output the DTS or DD core of the respective HD audio variant over optical/coax. In the latter case HD PCM will only be rendered in stereo though.

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Do a search on DTS Re Encode in this forum. Plenty of threads and reading.

4. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    awesome thank you toodeep, I now see you have previously answered many a thread on this too CJROSS, thanks.

I will only look for players that do re encode then, no point having it in stereo.

5. toodeep

toodeep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    FWIW DTS re-encoding can offer higher bit-rates than DD re-encoding and might sound better. Cambridge Audio & Oppo players will also do what you want but only re-encode if there is a secondary audio stream on the disc I understand - this being the players' potential mechanism for blending audio - which not all discs have.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012