1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What will I gain with a high quality component cable?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Funkybase, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Funkybase

Funkybase
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I''ve recently bought a new DVD player Denon DVD-2910 and contected it to my 42" Viera. It's connected through a pretty cheap component cable, apporox £40 for 5 meters. What do I gain by changing to a more exclusive and expensive cable?

Thanks!

2. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More than likely you will end up with a lighter wallet and a feeling of why did I bother.

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    If you're thinking of changing cables then look to Mark Grant cables on this forum. (I only recommend these because I've recently bought a Co-ax cable from him and i'm impressed with the build quality) TV Cables also seem to be well thought of.

I do agree with Stuart though. Throwing money at cables can often end in tears. GOOD cables are very important, the problem is expensive doesn't always mean good.

4. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Agreed. Cables are important but they are not miracle products. I recently upgraded from some cheap component cables to Mark Grant ones. The picture quality improvements were even noticed by my wife.

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I got the same component cable as the Mark Grant ones from Bluejeancable.com. It is definitely worth it but, I don't see spending anymore money.

It only cost £25 for a 1.2m cable.

6. CfP

CfP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funkybase,
    If you're current cabling is 75Ohms and is being used for component connection (ie: 3 cables for video, not 1) then you're probably already getting 80% quality of the possible picture.
    The steps up from here are limited by your wallet and, as has been noted already, may not warrant the cash outlay.

Decide what you REALLY want to spend, find the brands in that range and see if you can see them in action. If you like what u see, buy it. Otherwise, save your bikies for other component area upgrades.

CfP