1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What will i gain with 7.1??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Poolsharkie69, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering adding presence speakers to my current 5.1 set up as listed in my signature. I know I need to at least add a rear center to get to 6.1 but the layout of my room is weird so that makes it difficult from teh get go. Will I really gain that much more by buying 2 more presence speakers and a rear center? If I do shoudl I stick with paradigms? I know not alot of dvd's take advantage of 7.1. I just want to get the best our of the set up I have now and if getting more speakers will help then im all for it...just need some expert advice since I am a newbie of sorts.

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    My personal opinion is that 5.1 is adequate for most living rooms. I think you would notice a difference with 6.1 sound, but imo the difference would be marginal.

There aren’t that many dvds that are encoded in 6.1 so it depends whether you want to spend the spare cash on speakers or buy some more dvds instead :smoke:

3. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well to tell u the truth I only spend money on renting dvd's because I have a dvd burner that makes a copy of them for me anyways... :thumbsup: I do have the lord of the rings the two towers which I think is 6.1 or 7.1 and I have the star wars trilogy which has thx but not sure of 6.1 or 7.1. So you don't think I will notice that much of a difference with at least a rear center added? I listen to my sat box in 7 ch stereo caus ethat seems to provide the biggest sound. not sure if that is the right thing to do...but I like rich full sound.

4. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To the best of my knowledge in a 7.1 setup, its usually a case of having a pair of rear centre speakers as opposed to front presence speakers, but I could be wrong.

I've heard of 9.1 setups using front presence speakers as well as the two rear centres, as to whether its worth it, highly doubt it.

I'd like to try 7.1 using a pair of rear centre speakers but as Tejstar rightly pointed out there are hardly any DVDs at the moment with a DTS-ES soundtrack that would fully utilise a discrete rear centre, as DD EX is still matrixed.

5. teabag1605

teabag1605

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Poolsharkie,

I would suggest it is not a good idea to discuss illegal activities :oops: on this noticeboard as at best this thread will be locked and at worst you will be banned from the forum altogether.

As for additional speakers with the Yamaha RX-V1500 you can only use either the presence speakers or the 6.1/7.1. depending on the source. It is not possible to use both simultaneously as there are only 7 amps in the box.

Therefore you may want to try just adding one pair of speakers and trying them as rears for 6.1/7.1 and then move them to be presense fronts and see which you find best for the movies that you watch.

Regards

Teabag

6. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Opps I do apologize for my previous post. Done with haste and with no forethought. I do buy some DVD's. Once again I do apologize. Shoudl I even bother getting a rear center then liek the Paradigm CC-170 like I have for the front center or is that overkill? :rolleyes:

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    There will be a difference, but it will only be subtle.

Only you can tell whether it's worth it in terms of money, space in your living room etc. etc.

8. Jordans Norks

Jordans Norks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I have to say that 6.1 makes a real difference for me...even DVD's without "proper" 6.1 DTS or Dolby 6.1 EX tracks mostly seem to have a matrixed in rear centre track

9. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm I may consider a rear channel purchase soon then. You can view my set up in the members gallery. I can not fathom how I will add the rear center though.

10. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Personally I would just get some more bookshelves and not a proper centre speaker for rear duties preferably the same as the rears you already own.

I have presence speakers attached with a complete 7 speaker system as well and almost never use them. mainly use the normal 7.1. IMHO 6.1 is better than 5.1 as it fills in the back space much better than the 2 rears on a 5.1 system.

11. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I have 2 'rear centres' attached to my Denon 2805 and I find this 7.1 makes a heck of a difference, but it all depends on the disc you're watching. LOTR in DTS-ES is great and seems to make good use of the rear speakers, whereas some other films don't. Definitely worth going for, IMO, for LOTR trilogy alone!

Just to clarify the above, my rear centres are Eltax bipolars - wouldn't recommend a traditional centre speaker, i.e. like the 'dialogue' one below/above your screen for your rear centre(s)!