1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What will happen when HD-DVD's are available to europe?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Dom H, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What will we watch them on, don't they produce HD resolutions compatible with the HDTV sets they already have across the pond?

I understand we won't see HD broadcasts in europe for a long time but what about all the other HD sources, games consoles etc.?

Dom.

2. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD has been designed as a totally new format and is not compatible with PAL, SECAM, NTSC, Etc.

To enjoy HD you will need a HD capable set or projector and a source. Some fortunate HC Guys over this side of the Atlantic, will have CRT's capable of viewing 1080i at the mo, but they'll need the D-Theater tape player as the relevant enclosed DVHS tape. Otherwise there is no otherway for us to sample this leap in resolution.

Rgds

Nathan

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I think you wont have to worry about HD-DVD for a while. From what I understand the propsed standard for it is much lower spec than current D-VHS.....At present, if the powers that be agree what it should be, you're looking at 4-5 years before there's any players and discs.....

Gordon

4. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, George you say 4-5 years, would you say that's likely for europe aswell?

I presume we will have HDTV sets here by then, maybe with or without actual HD broadcasts.

Any idea if Dolby Digital at a rate that's compatible with todays processors will be the main audio in the HD-DVD spec? What I'm getting at is will current receivers be able to be used with HD-DVD, maybe if only external decoding using the anolog inputs.

Thanks

Dom.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Dom: You can call me Gordon.....

To watch hidef just now you will need a new tv (can't think of any hi-def compatible ones in UK though...). Or if you have a plasma or front projector you mayl be OK. There are no plans for HDTV broadcast in UK so I don't think that manufacturers are going to be running over themselves to use more expensive parts to make getter quality or performing units for this country if there is no requirement.

Regarding HD-DVD. There is no standard as yet. For either encoding or for what type of signal (digital, analogue copyprotected or not) that the things will output. Chances are, if it does ever happen, the things will have digital video outputs that are encrypted with some form of copyprotection. So all display devices are likely to have to be changed. This is just speculation on my part.

Gordon

6. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gordon, I have absolutely no idea why I wrote George...doh

What about the american people who have already purchased a HDTV set in the US, sounds unlikely they will be able to display HD DVD?

Why doesn't the HD-DVD spec mimic the HDTV spec, i.e a maximum of 1080i and dolby digital?

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Dom I believe at present it is lookinG like 1080i. Which incidentally is one of over twenty HiDef specifications that can be used in US....(they seem to have settled on 1080i or 720P now though). That's what is going to go on the disc. Bit rate lower than D-VHS...but the question is how will such players output such a signal? We'll have to wait and see.

Gordon