What will happen to my Sky+ box

mda1974

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello

I've ordered Sky HD (well, i'm on the waiting list to order Sky HD) but just wanted to know what will happen to my old Sky+ box.

I know I wont be able to watch any recordings on it (my wife is trying to work her way through a series of Brothers & Sisters) but will I get to keep the box or will the engineer take it with him?

I am going to set up a magic eye to the kitchen and thought the old remote would be useful.

Thanks

Marcus

Hello

I've ordered Sky HD (well, i'm on the waiting list to order Sky HD) but just wanted to know what will happen to my old Sky+ box.

I know I wont be able to watch any recordings on it (my wife is trying to work her way through a series of Brothers & Sisters) but will I get to keep the box or will the engineer take it with him?

I am going to set up a magic eye to the kitchen and thought the old remote would be useful.

Thanks

Marcus

The box is yours. Don't let the installer try to take it away.

The box is yours to keep so make sure the installer doesn't try to take it.

The guy who did my HD had it boxed ready by the door and I'm sure he would have walked off with it.

When I mentioned it he asked if I wanted him to "Recycle it".....yeah right.

That box is yours to keep, mate. And don't take any bull off the installer either. I've still got mine as a backup, just in case...........:D:D

Very good Q op :thumbsup:

My HD gets installed this satuday. . can i use my new found sky+ box as a freeeview recorder in the bedroom???

Can a second viewing card be aquired from the local market and be used?? << NOT ILLEGAL I MEAN :devil:

Very good Q op :thumbsup:

My HD gets installed this satuday. . can i use my new found sky+ box as a freeeview recorder in the bedroom???

Can a second viewing card be aquired from the local market and be used?? << NOT ILLEGAL I MEAN :devil:

No. The box will not record etc without a minimum subscription (at the moment £10 a month).

so its just a useless brick :eek: must be something i can use it with!!!

Go multiroom and get free installation.

You can use it as a Freeview box in another room if you run a cable to the satalite dish. You'll need a freesat from sky card though (costs about £15)

Thanks guys, I'll make sure I keep hold of it.

You can use it as a Freeview box in another room if you run a cable to the satalite dish. You'll need a freesat from sky card though (costs about £15)

What do you think the cances of getting the engineer to run a fourth feed from the dish to my kitchen are?

Thanks guys, I'll make sure I keep hold of it.

What do you think the cances of getting the engineer to run a fourth feed from the dish to my kitchen are?

Depends on the engineer and how many jobs he has to get done. Offer him £10-£20 and he might do it for you

If it's a useless brick, how come they're selling on ebay for up to £75 second hand? That's a lot of dosh to spend on a useless brick. Most people would consider it a satellite tuner with the ability to record if a subscription card is inserted in it.

If it's a useless brick, how come they're selling on ebay for up to £75 second hand? That's a lot of dosh to spend on a useless brick. Most people would consider it a satellite tuner with the ability to record if a subscription card is inserted in it.

As a brick it would be useless. SO i stand by my statement.

Think ill keep it up the loft, going by the recent epg threads a spare might be needed.

Hello

Thanks

Marcus

Bear in mind that if you're feeling confident mate, you could always use the Copy+ software, and transfer all your present recordings onto a new disk, then put the new disk in the Sky HD box.
This obviously invalidates the warranty, but gives you the option of having more space for recordings.

I am looking for some bricks for my new garage. So you can use it to help me build it with your 'useless brick'. I'll take it off your hands if you deliver it for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bear in mind that if you're feeling confident mate, you could always use the Copy+ software, and transfer all your present recordings onto a new disk, then put the new disk in the Sky HD box.
This obviously invalidates the warranty, but gives you the option of having more space for recordings.

Can you get this to work on a mac?

To be honest though it's still 2 months till the install so plenty of time to watch it or to record it onto DVD.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom