What will fit the bill? Freeview PVR, Internet stream, media player etc

timanfiya

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Not sure what i'm looking for exists but was hoping someone might be able to point me in the direct for the kind of box i'm after.

The main thing it has to have is Freeview PVR.

But on top of this I would ideally like it to connect to internet and have some kind of option for media playback from a source other than the freeview. This could just be a usb option to enable me to play back video and music via usb stick??

In an ideal world i'd love it to have bluray too but think i'm pushing it there :)

I have seen different stuff, such as bluray with internet (but no pvr), the WD Live hub seems to have most options but no freeview (not sure if you could record the freeview thats built into my TV but there would be no epg). And i've seen Freeviews with a usb or hdd record function but I want it to have an internal hdd for recording freeview.

Is there any such product or am I looking at seperate boxes.

If its looking very limited, can I atleast get some of these options with a freeview pvr?

thanks for any suggestions.
Pete

The Humax HDR Fox T2 will enable you to play back video, audio and music files either directly from its hard drive, an attached USB memory device or from your computer hard drive via a home network. It has a Portal for access to BBC iPlayer, YouTube, internet radio, Flickr and a cut down version of Wikipedia.

Last edited:
The Humax HDR Fox T2 will enable you to play back video, audio and music files either directly from its hard drive, an attached USB memory device or from your computer hard drive via a home network. It has a Portal for access to BBC iPlayer, YouTube, internet radio, Flickr and a cut down version of Wikipedia.

Is there an alternative to this at a cheaper price for less hard drive. I dont really need a 1TB and would like to get a cheaper version with the same functions as this just dont mind less on the hdd. Seems like this fits the bill otherwise.

Cheers

Just looking at this:

HUMAX HD-FOX T2 FREEVIEW HD RECEIVER | eBay

If I added an external hard drive via usb would pvr functionaltiy be as good/same as with the internal hdd? For example are these usb pvrs able to do series link and have easy access menus like the built in ones?

Also seen this which I think is very good for the money although i dont like the design. It seems to have everthing and a built in hdd. What do you guys think of this:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Just looking at this:

HUMAX HD-FOX T2 FREEVIEW HD RECEIVER | eBay

If I added an external hard drive via usb would pvr functionaltiy be as good/same as with the internal hdd? For example are these usb pvrs able to do series link and have easy access menus like the built in ones?

Also seen this which I think is very good for the money although i dont like the design. It seems to have everthing and a built in hdd. What do you guys think of this:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

That is the setup I use - you can add a small external USB hard drive to convert it to a single tuner PVR. It functions exactly the same as its "big brother" apart from you only being able to record one channel at a time plus you are restricted to other channels on the same mux to watch while recording. (For example, if you record BBC1 HD, you can watch either BBC HD, Channel 4HD or ITV1 HD but not BBC 2)

You can get a "Managers Special" example from HumaxDirect for £20 less. "Desktop" type external hard drives are cheaper than the same size "portable" type drive and also have their own power supply which puts less pressure on the Humax's internal power supply.

The full PVR version is also available with a smaller 500Gb hard drive. New at £250 or as an A grade Managers Special from Humax Direct at £199

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
That is the setup I use - you can add a small external USB hard drive to convert it to a single tuner PVR. It functions exactly the same as its "big brother" apart from you only being able to record one channel at a time plus you are restricted to other channels on the same mux to watch while recording. (For example, if you record BBC1 HD, you can watch either BBC HD, Channel 4HD or ITV1 HD but not BBC 2)

You can get a "Managers Special" example from HumaxDirect for £20 less. "Desktop" type external hard drives are cheaper than the same size "portable" type drive and also have their own power supply which puts less pressure on the Humax's internal power supply.

The full PVR version is also available with a smaller 500Gb hard drive. New at £250 or as an A grade Managers Special from Humax Direct at £199

Thats interesting to know, thankyou. I hadn't thought about it only being a single tuner. If you try to turn to a channel on a different mux would it stop you to protect recording (as I wouldn't know which channels on same mux).

Also, is there a series link option in that setup? And can you setup future recordings via epg? Or is it a very simple only record when you press record button? Sorry to be a pain but if it cant do those things i'm not sure its the right setup. As much info about the pvr bit would be great as you have the same setup and knowledge first hand.

One more thing. Can I access the internet side of things by plugging in my usb mobile broadband dongle? I dont have a router to connect up via ethernet in the house i'm putting it.

Cheers

Thats interesting to know, thankyou. I hadn't thought about it only being a single tuner. If you try to turn to a channel on a different mux would it stop you to protect recording (as I wouldn't know which channels on same mux).

Also, is there a series link option in that setup? And can you setup future recordings via epg? Or is it a very simple only record when you press record button? Sorry to be a pain but if it cant do those things i'm not sure its the right setup. As much info about the pvr bit would be great as you have the same setup and knowledge first hand.

One more thing. Can I access the internet side of things by plugging in my usb mobile broadband dongle? I dont have a router to connect up via ethernet in the house i'm putting it.

Cheers

The recording facilities are identical to it's big brother. Series and accurate recording from the 8 day epg, apart from the single tuner limitation.

You can't use your mobile dongle. You must have a broadband router to use the boxes internet capability, or you may be able to set up your PC as a wifi access point. In any case the amount of data involved in video on demand services like BBCi player would cost you a kings ransom.

Thats good to know. So if I tried to turn over when recoding , what would happen, i'm assuming it would give a warning like sky box does? Never used a freeview pvr before and with it being single tuner, just wondering how the setup works.

We still have a sat box set up with minimal freeview as we dont have an up to date card for it. So I guess if we want to watch another channel whilst recording we can just switch to that. Seems like a much cheaper option than the HDR with all the same benifits bar the twin tuner.

I have a wireless pointer so I guessing if I bought the wireless adapter for this unit that I could pick up via that? I might not use it much but would like the option there, especially if i decide to get a landline and unlimited broadband.

Thats good to know. So if I tried to turn over when recoding , what would happen, i'm assuming it would give a warning like sky box does? Never used a freeview pvr before and with it being single tuner, just wondering how the setup works.

We still have a sat box set up with minimal freeview as we dont have an up to date card for it. So I guess if we want to watch another channel whilst recording we can just switch to that. Seems like a much cheaper option than the HDR with all the same benifits bar the twin tuner.

I have a wireless pointer so I guessing if I bought the wireless adapter for this unit that I could pick up via that? I might not use it much but would like the option there, especially if i decide to get a landline and unlimited broadband.

You can still view channels sharing the same mux while recording.

For instance you can record one HD channel and view any other. Even live pause still works on the viewed channels. Programme up/down cycles through the available channels. Using list also greys out any channel currently not viewable. Sky boxes tuners lack the capability to work with two channels at the same time sharing the same transponder (mux)

Yes it stops you accessing channels on other muxes. You can bring up the full channel list where the channels you cannot tune to are greyed out leaving the ones you can in white.

It has series link as an option. You simply go to the programme you want to record and press OK. It then gives you a choice of recording the single programme, the series or just set a reminder. It also has trailer booking for programmes over a week away - a green button option pops up when the BBC or C4 show a trailer for it.

Cheers

No - those dongles are generally too slow anyway and the options like iPlayer are too data heavy so the cost would be prohibitive. You need a wireless router to stream files from you (wireless equipped) computer. You need a good broadband connection (ideally4 Mb/s plus) so you can use the HD option in iPlayer. An hour's HD is roughly 3Gb

Thanks for all the info guys. Very informative. I'm happy about the recording function but I still think the mrs might get frustrated if she was wanting to watch a channel on same mux as recording. So might have to pay the extra for the twin tuner.

Thanks for all the info guys. Very informative. I'm happy about the recording function but I still think the mrs might get frustrated if she was wanting to watch a channel on same mux as recording. So might have to pay the extra for the twin tuner.

I think you mean watch a channel on a different mux to the recording one. :D

I agree with your choice of the twin tuner option if it's your only recording capability. The HD FOX T2 suits me (I won it in a competition anyway :D) because I already have two other twin tuner pvrs set up. A Foxsat-Hdr and a Topfield 5800. So far not found a situation where 5 tuners is not enough. Never use the TV Freeeview tuner. :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom