What will be your first HD disc playback device?

What will be your first HD disc playback device?

• I already have a Blu-ray player

Votes: 46 1.6%
  • I already have an HD DVD player

Votes: 195 6.9%
  • I already have both Blu-ray and HD DVD players

Votes: 31 1.1%
  • I’ll buy a Blu-ray player soon

Votes: 44 1.5%
  • I’ll buy an HD DVD player soon

Votes: 234 8.2%
  • I’m waiting to buy a PS3 for Blu-ray

Votes: 392 13.8%
  • I already bought the HD drive for my Xbox 360

Votes: 318 11.2%
  • I’m going to buy the HD drive add-on for my Xbox 360

Votes: 467 16.4%
  • I’m going to buy an Xbox 360 and HD drive specifically to play HD DVD

Votes: 70 2.5%
  • At the moment I have no plans to buy an HD player

Votes: 1,049 36.9%

• Total voters

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
We want to know what you think about high definition disc playback.

Going to buy the HD DVD 360 drive, but not for a while, maybe February/March time.

I'd rather have a standalone player though, but they'll still be much more than £130 I would imagine, probably until around next Christmas.

Despite what the industry is telling us at the moment, I think I will wait for a combined format machine, might be a long wait but I am old enough to have owned a Betamax......

I want to buy a PC HD-DVD drive for my HTPC but I may buy an xbox 360 add on after Xmas if the OEM drives don't start appearing. If the format thing continues a dual format drive will be on my shopping list, but I plan to use the HTPC as my main player. :smashin:

I put the PS3 but this may change.... completely.

I have the 360 add-on drive and have pre-ordered a Toshiba HD-XE1. But I'll most likely get a PS3 in time too.

Got the hd-dvd add on for the 360 on friday and the picture and sounds is better than I expected especially considering how bad the 360 is at playing normal dvds! Will buy a standalone hd-dvd player when they arrive also as I can imagine the picture will be even better!!

Wasnt impressed with blu-ray when I saw it recently and was even more un-impressed with the price of it...

I'm more than happy with the picture from 'normal' DVD's on my equipment thankyouverymuch. Until I'm convinced otherwise I see no justification in forking out for a HD drive, despite the fact that the industry is trying really hard to convince me otherwise...

If you have a large screen you'll really want to invest in High Definition in whatever format. It's excellent!! However if you have a small Screen standard DVD looks excellent and high definition probably wouldn't be visible in all its glory.

That's my honest opinion and I used to think SD was brilliant until I bought a Plasma after seeing a HD Display on it in store.

Cor Baldy Bouncer, I looked at your page and thought this guy looks like a Peter Kay bouncer lookalike. Then I seen your name 'baldy bouncer'. I know I'm off topic but thought I'd share that.:thumbsup:

Cor Baldy Bouncer, I looked at your page and thought this guy looks like a Peter Kay bouncer lookalike. Then I seen your name 'baldy bouncer'. I know I'm off topic but thought I'd share that.:thumbsup:

'can you hear me now?' :rotfl:

I love my HD-DVD addon for my xbox360 .. great peace of kit

I've no plans to invest at present. I have little interest in participating in a format war and currently I am having something of a love in with my stereo equipment- none of my AV equipment has changed in two years. I'd be surprised if I had any hidef equipment in the house this time next year unless my personal circumstances do something unusually positive.

I'll also wait for a dual format machine

sommereader said:
Despite what the industry is telling us at the moment, I think I will wait for a combined format machine,

IanJ said:
I'll also wait for a dual format machine

Does anybody else feel that a dual format player could actually be counterproductive to adoption? I have never quite shaken the feeling that SACD and DVD-A were ultimately hindered by the universal player as it meant that neither format had the need to "win" and as such both have wondered off into relative obscurity. I would personally (and from an industry perspective as well) rather see one format win outright and avoid the ongoing complexity of a twin format unit- that let us not forget is already being asked to play DVD,VCD,DiVX,CD,MP3,WMA etc.

Does anybody else feel that a dual format player could actually be counterproductive to adoption? I have never quite shaken the feeling that SACD and DVD-A were ultimately hindered by the universal player as it meant that neither format had the need to "win" and as such both have wondered off into relative obscurity. I would personally (and from an industry perspective as well) rather see one format win outright and avoid the ongoing complexity of a twin format unit- that let us not forget is already being asked to play DVD,VCD,DiVX,CD,MP3,WMA etc.

It is an interesting point, the main problem I see with your argument, however, is more to do with the reasons SACD DVD-A are less than successful, they are both very high quality systems with high bit rates and for many 5.1 capabilities. This is more or less in complete contrast to the lower quality formats in particular MP3 and it variants that have become increasingly popular mainly for the ability to download music from vast online collections. The increased take up of broadband means that there may be fewer people actually buying pre recorded music on any sort of removable disc. I suspect this trend will eventually extend to film stock where you will download the film you wish to watch choosing the quality (bitrate) at the time. This I belive will render the removable disc based formats obsolete in a fairly short time. Hence the format war will be lost by all.

I will wait as well.....I remember previous "wars"....

Brought both :thumbsup: Very happy with both :thumbsup: IMHO if you have a screen that handles high def it strikes me as something of a waste of time/money not to buy high def material for it.

I know some people are concerned about the format war but I can't see either format failing - I'm sure they will just co-exist and, in due course, we'll get dual format players. But even if one does fail then the 'losing' player will continue to work and, as times goes on, I can replace 'losing' format discs with the inevitable special collector edition re-releases in the 'winning' format.

I bought the 360 HD player. Arrived today and it's gorgeous(ly good at running HD-DVDs, not actually gorgeous itself..)

I think HD is the better format for film and I think Sony's motives with Blu-ray are entirely licentious, so I invested early in one side. I just hope that if either side wins (competition could help prices, but it's not great for the film world), it's HD.

why waste money now.will wait for a D/L machine.don't see the point in getting into a format war again.i would have thought the public would be more wary this time after the vhs & beta wars.

Took the "no current plans" option.

I'm one of the many waiting to see how this war settles down or a combined machine appears.

KH

I'll wait till there is a likely winner, secretly hoping it is Blu-ray though so I have more of an excuse to buy a ps3 other than MGS4;)

I will deffo be getting the 360 HD player but it's going to be after x-mas when my financial situation comes back down to earth ;) I know we got to move forward with technology, but I'm a bit worried that once I watch a film in HD I will never want to watch a film in SD again, & for me that means a vast library sitting in my book shelves collecting dust. :( Oh well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom