1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Will Be The Future Of Consoles?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by snake II, Aug 8, 2002.

1. snake II

snake II

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    what do you all think the future of consoles will be after the ps2, gamecube, and xbox.
    i think that nintendo will opt for the mutimedia console like the ps2 and xbox, meaning built in dvd player harddrive etc. But i recently heard that sony are rumoured to use a special disk for the ps3, a kind of floppy disk distinction, so that the disk does not get scratched so easily.
    sony will obviously produce a console for all purposes as did their previous and present consoles, dvd,cd etc
    what about microsoft, now they are making me very curious.
    1.)
    Microsoft will learn all the downs of the xbox and probably make ''XBOY'' a more sophisticated yet small console, which will be powerfull than its predessesor etc etc

I just cant wait for gamephere(gamecube2) and the ps3

might wait for the ''XBOY'' to see what microsoft have learnt.

what do you all think?

2. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    personally I think Xbox will be the future of consoles..MS aren't 3DO or Sega, they know exactly what they're doin' IMO and have the money to support a long hard slog against both Sony and Nintendo..Xbox will mature and still be here in 5 years..;) just you see if it isn;t..

3. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most of the "new" announcements of the PS3 have been around for ages. The first I've heard about the "Cell" chip was almost a year ago. What does surprise me though (and again this is old news) is that the Cell chip was co-developed by Sony, Toshiba and IBM. Interesting indeed since IBM helped develop Nintendo's CPU for the Gamecube. Then again Sony didn't have any other partners other than AMD (Intel are Microsoft's pet) so it will be interesting to see how all of this pans out.

Just for the record, its been said that the Cell CPU can crunch up to 1 teraflops... Which is stupidly fast. Other bits of info, if I can recall them correctly, is that the PS3 will be a multi-media platform from the off. The PS2 is the guinea pig as it stands (for internet gaming, DVD playback) so by the time the PS3 hits out it will be ready for internet, multimedia and videogame use. The use of DVDs in 2005 would still be the best option IMO, even though by then the blue-ray technology should be standard (which is again, old tecnology).

Snake touched on DVD/blue-ray caddys and its possible for all next gen consoles but the manufacturing price would be the main factor.

LoL gotta love these names! ^_^ Where did you get them from? XBOY hardly has any marketing potential and is more of a joke than anything. Remember how people called the PS2, PSY? That made me laugh... Gamephere though takes the biscuit. I thought Dolphin was bad... Then StarCube, now Gamephere. I honestly hope all of these consoles are not called that when its released. I would excpect the next gen Xbox to be called Xbox II, PS3 has already been patented as we all know and as for the sequel to the GameCube... Its very unlikely that it will retain its Gamecube moniker but it would make business sense. We would all have to wait untill the official statement in 2004/5 but I'm sure name guessing is a nice past-time for some.

Technology has rapidly bypassed Moore's law and by 2004/5 things would be rather awsome. I would still expect the Xbox II (if there will be one) to be the top dog in terms of graphical potency, purely because of nVidia. Sony would have to work hard and I'm sure they would have learnt to make decent libraries and not to force developers to write so close to the metal by that time. Also Nintendo... They have signed up with some big names alright and ATi should prove to be very influential. Their new Radeon illustrates that they will take the fight on against nVidia so I would be very suprised to see a gap against the two.

One thing though about consoles... They were designed to play videogames at a cheap pricepoint, and videogames are ment to be fun. If this gets lost thanks to all this technobabble then the gaming industry would seriously have to change...

4. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Moved this thread to Gaming Hardware because it seemed more appropriate.

5. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I thought the rumours from Nintendo were that the Gamecube was their last console? I thought they were going down the Sega route of high profits due to lack of hardware production?

As far as MS goes, just because they have the money does not mean they will have the success. They have no proven track record in any kind of hardware (maybe joysticks and mice :) ), Sony has an amazing portfolio of home electronics (of which consoles are included in that).

MS is in an extremely strong position, but there is every possibility some genius will come out with the uber OS, which will knock MS off and leave them high and dry (well I can only hope!).

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So when will we see PS3? Will it have 5.1? Or 7.1?

I reckon the big winner will be a full sized DVD player sized console with a console in it. Imagine having like a Sony DVPNS900 that did DVD and SACD etc but also had a console in it with wireless controllers that just stowed away when not in use.

Now that would be something. I might even buy it.

S

7. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sinzer, it is rumoured to be so but I doubt that it would happen just yet unless the PS2 and PS3 totally dominates. I can't see Nintendo developing for Microsoft just yet...

As for the uber OS, in the OEM market anyway Linux is being pushed by someone.. Hehe forgot the name but it could be Dell... (feel free to correct me on this). As it stands though Windows is still the dominant OS, but at least Win2k Pro hasn't crashed on me ^_^

My guess is late 2004/ early 2005 in Japan. Of course details about the hardware and infrastructure would be out by then but I'm sure Sony would want to milk the PS2 until its very dying day. Chances are it will support the latest sound format although obtaining the THX license would prove to be expensive unless some deal could be formed. Remember Microsoft are loosing money (maybe 10% per unit) to nVidia as part of the deal, then theres money to pay to Dolby to use its 5.1 technology. Sony only needs to pay for the DVD license and Nintendo has some other contract with ATi.

Licensed technology doesn't come cheap...

Or the other way round... Videogames is a serious business beating the film industry in terms of net profit. Chances of SACD playback on the PS3 could be possible but I wouldn't hold your breath because it would be aimed at a much larger market than SACD. As for the other things you have mentioned like wire-less controllers, they have been around since the NES days so its not that new. What is new is the technology used, so instead of a direct IR beam we now have frequencies akin to the amazing Nintendo WaveBird. If you haven't seen one of these in action I would stongly suggest to do so...

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    On the Linux front, it was delivered by Gateway, but as soon as they did that MS refused to supply them Windows and Gateway went down the tubes.

For servers, Linux is gaining a lot of ground, but in terms of the home it has little penetration :( And for games Linux sucks :)

I need to check out the Wavebird, I assume it is still only available on import???

9. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shame that since the Windows OS does need some serious competition. Maybe we should all buy Macs ^_-

The WaveBird is still only available on import, but £23-25 won't hurt for a pad. I'm going to get one but not yet since my Eternal Darkness and DVD player arrived this morning ^_^ Can't wait to try out progressive scan on both products...

10. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely it hasn't gotten that bad. :)

I think that Sony needs some real competition in the console market, just as Microsoft needs some real competition in the PC market. Monopolies only hurt the consumer. Frankly, I'd be up for any non-MS operating system, if the software was there.

11. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here mate since a lot of people are just falling for Windows without knowing what it does.. Look at XP with its security issues and the fact that it stops users from deleting software on purpose (Try deleting MSN Messanger and Movie Maker without any registry hacks). I personally didn't like XP since it was "fluffy" and stuck to Win2k Pro....

Anyway back on topic, any sort of competition is needed and thanks to Microsoft we have very low prices for new consoles which can only be good to the consumers. I would like to see a cap on software not going higher than £40 as well (£35 is a bit un-realistic but would be welcome as a gamer ^_^) but we'll have to wait and see. Lowering software prices would have a massive negative aspect on the industry though...

12. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto. I'm forced to use XP at work, and I'm constantly swearing at it. (not to mention the dubious and somewhat disturbing licensing agreement) I'm getting a new PC in the next month, and I'm probably going to have to wipe the HD and install Win2K instead of XP.

I do have that gripe about XBox games. The prices are pretty steep. But, considering that MS is losing money on each console, it doesn't bother me too much.

Now with rumours that Nintendo might be abandoning hardware in favor of software (a la Sega), we need competition between Sony and Microsoft. I don't really expect Nintendo to bow out of the console market, but if they do, Sony's could have free reign of the console industry.

13. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The future of consoles:

1) The bin.
    2) Car Boot sale.
    3) Second hand shop.
    4) Thrown off 20 storey high building to see how well it explodes.
    5) Up the loft, gathering dust (it'll be worth something one day).
    6) In a time-capsule buried in the back garden.
    7) In the canal.
    8) Sold to the ignorant neighbour for three times the machine's worth... dumbass.
    9) Sold over Ebay to some pathetic 'retro' geek.
    10) Kept and played on daily by its owner who just so happends to be some pathetic retro geek.
    11) In a museum.
    12) Part of a child's model project for school.
    13) stolen and sold for drugs.
    14) Used to brainwash and de-sensitise the world's children.

14. snake II

snake II

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sony does has competition, it may not seem to some but if you examin the console market, sony although has a larger user base to to it being released(ps ps2) early than its competitors.
    But in my mind at the moent nintendo are the headache for sony maynot be noticable in japan but in other international countrys. Nintendo's first party titles are set to scare anyone, mario,zelda,mario kart, mario party and so on oh yeah how could i forget Donkey Kong theses games are AAA titles, but mario does give so much competiton(mario used as an example) as sony japan used a 1 billion yen marketing promotion against mario gamecubes release but they obviously didnt do as well as they thought they would have.
    Mrio is still in the top 3, and was no1 for the first week, reason being japs love their gaming and move on to another game.

15. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually from what I have read... The Donky Kong games on the GC and GBA have been taken off the release list... Check out Rare's website. It could very well be possible that Rare will give an announcement soon about its new 3rd Party status.

16. snake II

snake II

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Even if Rare do go multi platform it wouldnt really hirt nintendo really in any aspect, although some games will go on other formats, nintendo own 49% of rare, and the rest is between the rare brothers and shareholders.
    Anyway to give an example look at squaresoft, sony own i think 19 or 21% of this company even though they solely make games for the ps/ps2 console, they finally decided to develop for a nintendo console after the snes, now sony really couldnt do much as they only owned 21%(correct me if im wrong) but any way i have a good feeling even though rare might go multiformat, that many titles such as perfect dark-dk-starfox will not go multiformat as nintendo know that perfect dark is their only first party first person shoooter aaa title, and plus they own nearly half of rare so i dont think that title will go multiformat just yet.

17. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nintendo own 25% of RARE I believe... 49% or more would make them the largest shareholder and thus Nintendo can make big decisions like forcing Rare to be a 2nd party only, even if they didn't like it.

It would be a massive blow to Nintendo but a huge boost to the videogame industry IMO. They wouldn't have any barriers at all and their track record would make publishing their titles a lot easier. I just can't wait for Perfect Dark Zero and the next Conker...

Once Rare does become multi-format they will still support the GC of course. I just hope that Conker and Perfect Dark are two titles that will be at least on the GC.

Actually Square themselves are not directly making the games... More like a spin-off of their company. Plus they only decided to develop on a Nintendo platform once the President of Nintendo stood down and the fact that they were given funding from Nintendo - Fund Q. Also more good news for RPG fans... A developer of Enix has left to create his own development studio with the help of Fund Q. He was a main programmer on the massive Dragon Quest Series and is joined by many members of the EarthBound/Mother team as well I believe... Basically they will be developing RPGs for the GC and GBA.

Games like StarFox, Donkey Kong or any game that has a Nintendo character in it, will not be multi-format for obvious reasons. Joanna Dark is Rare's own creation and so that could be a multi-format title, as is Conker.

18. penfold

penfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What would you guys think if a formal standard was adopted? So for example, rather than PS2, GC etc, we would see different machines from all the big electronics firms, all capable of playing the same games, but offering different features and connectivity options, in much the same way as the DVD market? The format would eventually mature into something else, just like the migration from VHS to DVD. There would be different machines at different price points, with anything from the no-bells-or-whistles 'Alba' version for £100 in Asda to a £3000 TAG Maclaren unit with component/RGB out, 6.1 audio, online connectivity, progressive scan, region hacks, top quality reliable components, a quiet fan, different sizes to suit micro systems/full size seperates, nice chrome colour (or champagne from Denon!), a cool wireless controller etc etc. They would both be capable of playing the same games, but that doesn't mean there wouldn't be a competitive (and lucrative) industry surrounding it. It would end all the inter-format arguing, and the risk of losing money when you've bought a an Atari Jaguar or whatever!

19. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,794
    What a great idea Penfold.

It's called a PC. :rolleyes:

MSX tried this years ago during the 8 bit era, and although a reasonable success in Japan it failed miserably here.

20. penfold

penfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Er, no. I'm referring to a console, not something that keeps upping it's basic requirements just to play the damn thing. Slight difference. There would be no jungle of peripherals cluttering up the living room, and it would be used on the TV, not some expensive monitor that's not used for much else.

21. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,794
    So let's get this straight.

You want an upgradeable machine with a common standard so many manufacturers can make it.

But the upgrades can never make anything out of date because U don't want the basic requirements for games to be upped.

????????

As for peripherals and all that - what about a laptop? And most PC's could be made to output to a TV in any case....

22. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its not going to happen anytime soon though. Its a nice idea in practice but I'm sure that Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft would rather keep the profits to themselves. A universal console would be interesting but to have add-ons wouldn't in practice. Many hardware add-ons have failed badly (Mega CD, 32X, Jag CD...) so the uber console would need to be stable in terms of tech specs across the board. Plus it would need to satisfy all the devlopers in terms of power. There has been a few open end consoles in development in the past but they have failed to launch do to the lack of support. I personally can't see the gaming giants uniting just yet (for a good few years)...

Although I can see it if the current gaming climate continues to increase at this rate. Development costs and time are just getting higher and higher while profits are not soaring to balance the books. Something radical needs to be done to the industry to help lower the development costs and the introduction of middleware, shared resources (3D props, models, physics code, AI, etc) and so on can only help.

Plus you don't always need a top PC to run the latest games... But it certainly helps ^_^

23. penfold

penfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, you've misunderstood me. Think DVD player but with the interactive functionality of games, and we're on the same lines.

Neo's right, it's not going to happen (at least not soon) but the idea of shared resources is interesting.

24. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also.. I don't know if you guys remember the NUON technology or not. It was planned to be implemented into many things like calculators, fridges, washing machines, DVD players and TVs. It is basically a single fully customisable chip that can produce 3D graphics and audio... If I remember correctly a DVD player out now actually supports NUON for its menus. Other than that though it has next to no support, even though it made quite a fuss a good few years back.

25. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    TAOS was quite interesting a while back, it was an interpreter which could real time translate one code to another, theoretically it should have been able to read any peice of software written for any platform. I expect it was mostly hype, or it may have developed into a porting tool, still it has disappeared without a trace :)

I believe that a lot of manufacturers are looking at embedding PS1 chips into their machines, that would be pretty cool, shame I can't get some embedded SNES chips into my TV :)

26. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sinzer, hear hear ^_^ Most people have more than one TV thesedays so imagine multi-player Bomberman... The Saturn had a 16 player Bomberman... Amazing fun.

Sony has licensed its EE and GS chips out for some time... We were ment to see Sony TVs with intergrated PS2 chips a good while ago but nothing has happend yet. I know that theres a new manufacturing process for PS2s now where the EE and GS share the same die, lowering costs so if it is going to happen it can't be too long now.

Also I've heard that Microsoft is thinking about the same idea but I don't know if they have any partners in the AV world...

27. snake II

snake II

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think NIntendo will make the snes retun, it could be a possibility but nintendo should know the snes was a very well known and famous console,
    They should make a console which resembles the original snes in some aspect but obviously make it more powerfull and have extra and better feature, a mirror finish would look very good, just like the new panny dvd players and ''Q'' gamecube.
    If only they did.