1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What What What

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by petrolhead, May 28, 2002.

1. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Been reading info in the LCD projector forum about using HCPCs.

I am interested in this option but would love a little advice

When it comed to the DVD Rom whatb is everyone using?

Do you need a super fast processor or would a PIII 500 do?

How much memory is advisable?

Am I correct in thinking an ATI Radion 7500 would be a good choice.

Obviously I will not need a large HD, just big enough for Win2k and Applications, or a floppy.

What sound card would I need, probable something with either Digital or Coaxial out.

I want tha case to be as samll as possible any suggestions

My only cocern is that when using the PC instead of my DVD Player I will not be able to set it to 16:9 (Sony CS1)

Cheers for any help

2. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi Petrolhead. If you look back at previous posts, there have been a number of recommendations of various bits of hardware/software here. Woody asked a similar question earlier today in this thread . Have a look at the FAQ too...some useful info in there.

Cheers,

Mark.

3. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Cheers

Should have looked

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    The Liteon163 DVD ROM is currently £35 over at ebuyer.com which can be made region free and is quiet too.

My htpc can be built for around £300 and works very well with my DLP projector. I've listed the components in other threads but will post the spec here if you like.

Gary.

5. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    P3-500mhz coupled with a Radeon card will easily play back DVD titles. Even a P2-400mhz with a Radeon card can play back DVD titles easily due to the hardware dvd motion support in ATI cards.

6. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Please Gary

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Hi Petrolhead,

Here's my htpc spec which I've copied from an earlier post. Prices may have changed slightly since my original post.

ECS K7S5A mobo £51
    Duron 950 £36
    fan £4 (£19.50)
    memory 128 100 £17.34
    case £18 (£16.45)
    floppy £7
    HDD £49 (26)
    DVD £36 (multiregion)
    Radeon VE 32meg £36 (64ddr £10)
    KB/Mouse £4.50
    SB 4.1 £24

All prices are from ebuyer.com, and you have to add the bracketed price for a quietpc (except in the case of the Radeon, which I added just for the sake of it).

Hardware = £285 to £360.

The above quietpc spec is more or less the spec of my machine except I'm using an Aureal SQ1500 instead of SB 4.1. The Aureal was £18 including postage from the USA.

I used my existing copy of WinMe, the free copy of WinDVD 2.3 that came with a DVD player (free web upgrade to 2.8), and ATI MMC 7.5 which is a free download. I just installed the ATI DVD player software and used Zoom Player as the front end (free) to use the ATI video with WinDVD audio.

I sometimes just use WinDVD combined with YXY (free) for those occasional titles that don't play well under Zoom.

OS can be boughty from computer fairs for less than £60 if you really need to buy it.

Hope that helps.

8. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Garry

Thanks for that.

Had a look at your web site. Good one.

We run the same Amp and rea speakers (HT2s) What do you think of the HT2s as rear surround speakers?

I see you converted your loft. I would love to do that but have huge supporting beams right in the middle of the house.

So have you ever triped over those beams extending into the middle of the room? :)

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Hi Petrolhead,

Glad you like my web site - you old smoothie you... :)

I like the HT2s - more than I thought I would.

I initialy bought 4 Aeegis Ones as my rear surrounds, because I prefer a monopole for 5.1 in my lounge, but after trying various combinations of AE 1s ansd HT2s, I ended up using 4 HT2s.

The main issue I had was with the monopoles as rears - the sound coming from them seemed to come from the font, not rear. I partialy cured this by angling the speakers down a bit so they were firing at the seats and not at the screen - I think that was causing the rear sound to bounce back and give the impression it was originating from the front. I didn't get that effect at all with the HT2s, so they stayed as rears.

The side rears were just a matter of trial and error, and I couldn't really tell much difference between the side rears, so I stuck withe the HT2s. I also found that if I increased the volume of all the rear surrounds slightly (2db) above the 75db that the rest was set up as, that improved the rear imaging (just a personal thing).

As for the purlin supports - I've never tripped over one yet! Two seats sit in the middle of the rear supports, and there's another seat either side in front of them. The front supports dissapear once you're watching a movie and don't appear to effect the sound either - the tweaters/midrange fire above them anyway, so it's not a problem.

Let me know if you need anymore info for your htpc. I'm really pleased with mine, and I think it's great value considering the quality of the image & sound I'm getting.

Gary.