1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What were your FIRST DVDs and your buying stories

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dUnKle, Oct 15, 2001.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    I imported an R1 TOSHIBA player way back around mid 1998 and the first 2 films I had im sure were COPLAND and PULP FICTION, but I could not be certain ( what a lasting impression they made :) )

Back then I imported both the discs and the player from LASER ENTERPRISES ( the PLAY of there day ) and now having access to 5.1 surround sound I had to trade in my YAMAHA 592 for a brand new ONKYO reciever.

As the R2 market took off I purchased a brand new multi-region PIONEER 919E, my first two R2 titles being LOCK STOCK and LA CONFIDENTIAL but they had to wait because for the first time I could watch my STAR WARS LDs in glorious 5.1 surround sound :) and then had the joy of watching them again when I got my Denon A1D

Now I have a collection of over 400 but I still remember my early days with :)s

2. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    bought my first player the samaung 807 after the region in hcc.fell inlove staright away with the technology an fell out of love just as quick with the player lol.first dvd was waterboy an john carpenters vampires just to **** my mates off who hadnt seen either on the cinema :) oh i liked the films to.next thing you know i was spending 3000 quid on the rest of the bits n bobs to go with my new pioneer 626 which im still very very happy with an i love the whole home cinema thing to.there`s nothing like seeing someones jaw drop when they here private ryan on an dts amp when they are use to there television :)

3. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    First heard of DVD through the pages of HCC (of course!) during '96.

Saw a few of these little cilver discs while holidaying in the 'States in October '97. Didn't think too much about them really as I was more concerned with the impending Laserdisc releases of MiB and the remastered Star Wars tilogy.

The went Stateside on business in November. Couldn't resist of course, and bought a Toshiba 2006 player, and 10 discs.

All 4 Batman movies
    Bullitt
    Austin Powers
    The Mask
    Mars Attacks
    The Right Stuff
    & Blazing Saddles.

4. I J S

I J S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Back in March of 1998 I bought a Region 1 Panasonic A110 for £400 and I still use it as a back-up machine today - a smashing dvd player.

My first batch of dvd's were:

Boogie Nights: Platinum Edition
    Austin Powers: Platinum edition
    Starship Troopers
    Invasion of the body Snatchers
    Fifth Element
    The Game
    Se7en
    Tomorrow Never Dies

Ian

5. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    November 97 - bought T2 while I was waiting for my R1 Panasonic A110 to be delivered. Spent a week just looking at the cover before the player arrived! :D

6. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hold on Carl - surely the A110 wasnt released til Spring 98? I bought one as my second player in April that year - it was THE player to have as it had dts output. None of the original pre 98 players could cope with dts

I bought an RCA5500P with on board dolby decoder for about £500 from DVD City in October 1997. I also ordered 12 discs from "Just Laserdiscs" including Austin Powers, T2, DVD Spectacular demo disc, The Usual Suspects, Seven and several all.

Four years on I'm onto my 6th player (Panasonic A7) have two more players and a DVD Rom and a PS2. Discs bought = well over 1200, and current collection weighs in at about 800.

7. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi All,

For me, I bought my first, and still reliable, DVD player - a multi-region Pioneer 626D - back in December 1999.

I first heard of DVD through various home cinema magazines, including HCC, but also when I saw that I could get uncut material and anime titles in magazines like "Previews", "Animerica", et al.

My first DVD purchases, where all bought on the same day, and I still have them:

R2 Titles of:
    El Mariachi/Desperado (Columbia Tristar)
    Carpenter's The Thing (Columbia Tristar)
    Titanic (Fox)

My first R1 titles were "Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer" and "Urotsukidoji: Perfect Collection".

Since then, I've bought about 200 DVD's, of which my collection is surprisingly made-up of about 60% R2, and 40% R1. (I guess I just enjoy going shopping and buying a disc there and then.)

I have always stuck to one e-tailer, DC-DVD, simply because they were a website that I came across one day when browsing the Net at university, and I saw how amazing their site was, and the amount of classic titles I could import. Since then, I've used them exclusively to buy many varied discs, from extreme material like "Cannibal Holocaust", "Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer", and "Ilsa: She Wolf Of The SS", to other more mainstream stuff like: "Four Weddings And A Funeral", "A Bug's Life: Collector's Edition", "Hellraiser: Tin Set", and anime material like "Akira: Tin Edition", "Urusei Yatsura" and "Ghost In The Shell".

Hope that answers the question! :D

Pooch

8. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    When I went to the newsagents and saw a samsung 709 on the cover of hcc, I grabbed the mag , had a quick read and promptly crossed the road to richer sounds where I picked up my first (and current) dvd player which has done me proud to this day.
    Next day,I bought my first region 2 dvd's- 'lost in space' and 'mars attacks'.
    My first region one was 'the big lebowski'.

9. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I was on holiday in Hong Kong in Oct 1997 (funnily enough I actually had a letter printed in HCC Speakeasy that month and was reading it on the plane :) ).

Obviously I was interested in DVD but never thought about getting one until I saw the shops over there running Eraser on a 55inch Tosh screen with DD5.1 sound. At the time this blew me away and the picture seemed amazing.

I went and purchased a Phillips 850 ( I think) that was chipped for multiregion by the shop and also got R1 Eraser, R1 Jerry Maguire and a pirate copy of The Mask.

I remember stuffing everything into my hand luggage and being told by this pig ugly customs officer in Hong Kong that I was carrying too much and would have to check it in as luggage. I got away with it after going to my flight desk.

Got back home. Plugged DVD into my cheap TV and it didn't accept NTSC!!!

Bought new TV and subsequent home ceinema kit and haven't looked back since.
    :D :D

10. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    August '98 and it was a Hong Kong region free Pioneer 505 for £350, damn fine machine.

Ordered all my stuff from dv-depot and dc-dvd back then.

Also used to trawl the mearge selection of R2's in HMV oxford circus, willing there to be something I was interested in buying (they had more Laserdiscs then)

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hong Kong was my starting place too! I was working there for several months and wanted to get something that wasn't available in the UK.

I bought a Region 1 copy of ERASER for HK$180 (which is about £14) in Oct 1997, from a street vender. Then the next day I went and bought a Panny A300 and had it hacked right there in the shop.

Then bought Mars Attacks R3 and a few VCD's 'cos they were really cheap.

The discs still play fine but the Panny backed up months ago!!!

12. gary.

gary.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    I also purchased a A110 around
    1998 for £400 with dragonheart thrown
    in.
    The player is still in use today with
    no problems except it will not play
    Aliens.Noooooooooo.
    Before I brought the player I ordered
    a few discs from Dvdexpress.com.
    The Replacement Killers.I still can not
    watch a Columbia disc with out thinking
    about Replacement.
    The other disc was American Werewolf in
    Paris.
    Then it was down hill from then on.
    Gary

13. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Bought my first player back in October 99, after lusting after a DVD player for 6 months or so, a multi-region Pioneer 525 from Sevenoaks in Sheffield, along with a copy of The Matrix, LA Confidential and Batman, then spent the whole weekend watching The Matrix as my girlfriend loves the film. It was a toss up between the Pioneer and a sony machine but the Pioneer was in stock, so that kind of clinched it

Got my first R1 discs around the same time as my parents were going to florida so i got them to bring back Saving Private Ryan, Bugs Life CE, and Austin Powers TSWSM.

I've got around 100 discs now (i thought this was a lot until i read some of the posts above :D ), most of which are R2 (about 15 R1), and have just invested in a Denon AV amp and a set of decent speakers, maybe the projector will follow in a couple of years, mortgage permitting!

14. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    come on EVERYBODY HAD to have a 1st DVD !!!!

15. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Took a trip down to Disc Emporium Knebworth and suddenly realised i could get movies before they were released in UK on Video.

Starship Troopers was my first DVD.

I bought a PC-DVD Player in 1998 and used that on a 15" TV for a year. I then bought my current setup in late 1999 :)

Not bad for a 19 year old huh? :)

[ 17-10-2001: Message edited by: GarethH ]

16. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Definitely a newbie!!!!!

Got my first DVD player and home cinema set up over the last two years.....thanks to my (now-ex) wife!

First DVD had to be Pulp Fiction (just like the first CD had to be The Cult - Love) because it's just a bloody classic film.

Latest DVD: STTPM and The Mummy Returns (R4 version on order!)

:cool:

17. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    Mummy Returns ( R4 ) was a great film and a perfect example of a Home Cinema / DVD classic.

Saturday Night, Curry, Pringles, BEER, curtains closed volume VERY VERY LOUD and an enjoyable film

Dont forget that THE MUMMY is also all of the above too :)

18. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    Bought a Panasonic A350 in early '98 cost me 600quid ( had to haggle them down from 750!)

There was only this player and the A100 and the pioneer 909 available at the time.

Imported a dvd-charger chip from the netherlands( cost 100quid plus tax!) and rather nervously got a electronics savvy friend to solder it in ( he'd already done his player with a slightly different chip). Got Fargo region2 at the same time as the player: also got The Wrong Trousers and a Queen video compilation.

After chipping it was down to reasonably well known laserdisc shop in Kensington where the owner proudly pulled out a cardboard box stuffed with region 1 releases
    100quid later very happy man ( Fifth Element , Starhip Troopers , Tomorrow Never Dies and one more that I can't actually remember)

19. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't remember what my first DVD was, I think it was Blade (R2)- the day it was released. I had bought a new top of the range PC back in early 99 and it had a DVD drive on it so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about concerning DVD. Well it looked passable on my PC (software player) but I could see the potential. I bought a new graphics card in the summer of that year that had Tv out and I connected it to my Sony 4:3 25" set and it looked a lot better (bigger screen, not pixellated).
    That Xmas I got a Sony 325 player from my girlfriend and I was well chuffed, only had about 3 or 4 DVDs by then I think - Blade, Matrix, A Bugs Life and Godzilla.
    Since then I bought about 100 DVDs and a DD/DTS setup and am very happy with it all.
    This week I puchased Ep 1 and also True Lies for my girlfriend. Oh and I'll pick up Father Ted Series 2 disk 1 next week.

PS I still have that PC which will definitely not be used for DVDs again :D

So after all that the short answer is Blade :) cos I thought it was awesome at the cinema.

[ 17-10-2001: Message edited by: js ]

20. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Got my DVD player a month or so after release from a place down in Leeds (if I remember rightly).
    It was a Pioneer 501 gold USA version.

I bought The Long Kiss Goodnight and Copland when I got the player (both R1 disks).

First R2 disk was All The President's Men.

21. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm Mummy Returns a classic?

That makes it sound as if all a film needs to be "good" is an agressive 5.1 soundtrack...

And beware using the word classic for something which only came out 5 mins ago.

Hopefully people will look back on the Matrix in a few years time and be ashamed of the claims they were making for it!

22. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    There is a big difference between a mult-oscar winning film and a great Home Cinema / DVD film !!

Take AMERICAN BEAUTY which according to loads is one of the best films of modern years, well I would much rather have THE MUMMY or something similar

23. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes but you seem to be confusing what Home Cinema is all about.

Its about the best way of seeing a film in the home, and that doesnt mean simply watching action flicks.

For example - what would you rather watch American Beauty on - VHS or DVD?

And is watching Citizen Kane, or the Seven Samurai on a good system any less valid than a popcorn movie?

24. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    Personally I would rather NOT watch American Beauty :) and still wander why I own it on DVD

25. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I bought my first DVD player on 12th May 1998 from LVS in Kings Langley (are they still around ?). The player was a Panasonic A110 and cost me £450.
    I remember the day quite well. At the time the wife and I only had one car so I managed to con my mum into a 'shopping trip' and she drove. We first visited Laser Enterprises, (Cinema House I think) in Wickford. Once there I bought my first DVD, 'The Lost Boys', not a bad film really but it happens to be my wifes favourite so I thought it might soften the blow when I turned up with yet another grey box.
    I actually wanted to puchase an R1 Tosh DVD player from Cinema House but they wouldn't sell it to me over the counter (mail order only).
    After a quick phone call to LVS we zipped round the M25 and bought the Panasonic and my second DVD Tomorrow Never Dies.

The panny is now installed in the spare bedroom with a Daewoo 14" TV which was bought from Tescos for £64.99 (not bad when you consider it accepts NTSC S-Video through its Scart socket). Now when I do my ironing I can watch all those DVD extra's!!!

I now have about 250 DVD's and a Denon EX setup. Yum.

Ian

26. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought my first actual standalone DVD player last weekend, although I've had DVD-ROM on my PC for about 18 months. Region 2 only unfortunately, multiregion was a bit out of my price range! Along with the DVD player I decided to treat myself to a copy of the Phantom Menace DVD, and when I got the thing home and played it, the extra features disc worked, but the disc with the actual movie itself on it would't play!

what the fudge?!! Anyways I dragged myself all the way back to Curry's in Town and swapped it for a new copy, which works prefectly thankfully!

I found this immensely annoying and it added further fuel to this idea I've got that there is some kind of conspiracy against me because every time I buy something, be it a computer game, or whatever, I almost always end up having to take it back and exchange it at least once due to it not working!

And you can't tell me that it's just an annoying coincidence because it's happened too many times for it to be that! :(

:mad: :mad:

[ 21-10-2001: Message edited by: Richy Allen ]

27. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    Well if I am honest i hated DVD when it first came on the scene. I was an LD addict with 300 discs and a £4k Dolby Digital set up.

It took me some time to come around to DVD. But eventually in 1999 i bought a panny A160 multi region and the Matrix as soon as it came out.

I now have about 150 discs and a dedicated room with Barco pj AND A dd dts SOUND SYSTEM and life is very sweet these days :D

28. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Had The Matrix as a Xmas '99 present. Then bought Ghostbusters & Out Of Sight. A year later I realised what I'd done wrong and bought a DVD player. Since then I've built up a fairly decent budget neighbour-annoying system. Beats a DVD-ROM drive, a 15" monitor and tinny 2-channel stereo while sat on an old office chair, believe me!

29. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I collected Laser Discs since 94. I bought a 14" NTSC/PAL TV with built in VCR which I used with a Pioneer CLD 2850. I virtually lived in my room. Spent virtually every spare penny I had with Laser Enterprises. I still have most of my Laser Discs, including both regular and special edition Star Wars trilogy. Also a Japanese import of TPM (the last disc I bought on this format).

About January 99 I put a Creative Labs DVD-ROM drive and DXR2 board in my PC. After spending hours scouring the net, I found out, to my joy, that the drive was region free. With the help of a utility called zone selector, I had a multi region, macrovision free player that could output to a external source in PAL or NTSC. Also it provided 5.1. So I bought a Creative Labs home theatre speaker/decoder set, along with a remote control that worked on the DXR2 board (which was really a rebadged Hollywood plus decoder).

This was relaced in summer 2001 when I bought a Pioneer DVL 919 LD/DVD combi player (modified by The Cinema House, Wickford), a Panasonic TX 36PF10 (I won't go into the sound systeme specs). I now own 150 plus DVD's (and about 60 Laser Discs)

The first DVD's I bought were from the Cinema Store. I came out with Zorro (R1) Small Soldiers (R1) & Deep Rising (R1). Since then I mainly purchase online, but still regularly us HMV for the odd bargain.

I no longer have a desktop PC at home, having replaced it with a laptop. I currently have a Toshiba Satellite 2800 400, which benefits from a DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo (which I managed to flash upgrade the firmware so it's now region free) and a Nvidia GeForce2 graphics chipset (16 MB RAM). It plays back DVD via a software decoder, Power DVD 3.0. The results are pretty good, and I love the screen capture utility. I often watch DVD's going to and from work, or during lunch. It has often raised a few eyebrows whilst travelling home on the train. Bod seemed to arouse the most interest.

I'm considering buying a Hauppauge USB PVR and transferring alot of my old non replacable VHS titles on to VCD or SVCD. Yet with the advent of recordable DVD becoming more affordable, I may wait.

30. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry that I am a bit late to this thread but this one really interested me.

I first heard about DVD back in 1995/96 while I was at Uni studying Electronic Engineering. I actually did a presentation about it for one of my subjects claiming how it was going to revolutionise home cinema and mass data storage.

The first DVD player that I had was on my PC which I got in 1998 and used upto summer last year when I purchased the Pioneer 525 player, which I have had ever since. Even though it will be time for an upgrade next year. :)

As for the first DVD it was the Region 2 release of Tomorrow Never Dies. First Region 1 purchase was American History X followed by the Matrix