1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what we need..

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by charles, Jan 31, 2001.

1. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    I believe there is a huge niche in the european market to establise hd dvd and associated players(1050 lines of resolution or more..).
    Especially with the u.k.having no schedule for hdtv on the horizon.
    I think if hd dvd was marketed in europe,this would lead the way for higher resolution tv`s etc..and you never know,if this took off,maybe the broadcasters would see there was a demand for this programming.
    Sky,certainly would not have a lot of trouble initiating a hi-def channel...
    What do you think?

2. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    er call the reality police please...

How exactly would a hi-def DVD benefit a market where there arent any hi-def TVs??

Talk about a niche within a niche within a niche...

If Hi def ever arrives in Europe it will be broadcaster led - theres simply no other way that the hardware manufacturers would support it.

3. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    duncan,
    My point was ..that is precisely why we could get a hd dvd format-because there is no hi-def broadcasting on the horizon-and there is a need for this quality.
    Contrary to what you say,there are already many forms of display(crt,dlp,plasma)-from various manufacturers that are hi-def compatible,i can give you some examples if you like...some of the top barco projectors for starters..the sony vpl10ht lcd....some of the top sanyo and mitsubishi lcd`s...the pioneer plasma...(50inch)..etc..etc..
    In fact,if you look at the increase in the sales of products that seek to elicit that little extra by progressive scanning,drc,line doubling,scan doubling etc,i would say definitive proof that there is a demand for a high resolution format...methinks its you that needs the reality check...lol...

Glad you aint in charge of mass market penetration plans for new products-we`d probably still have black and white t.v.`s....hahahhahhahah...

4. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what were hdld's played on?
    anyway, they had 1125 lines of resolution, 1050 lines wouldn't really cut the mustard

------------------
    Assumption is the mother of all errors

member formerly known as hank hill, the Jesus H
    but he got bored of that so changed to some latin sh*t
    'which is nice'

5. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    Charles

Surely all the hi-def units that you mention in your 2nd post are very much minority sales. At the end of the day, manufacturers and film studios will only support a format if they can make money from it. Now with all the equipment that you listed there would not be enough people in the market to make it financially viable. Maybe some time in the future, eh?

6. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think it's more likely we'll be importing HD dvd players from the US first

7. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think Duncan and SOK have it. It just *won't* happen without the BBC/ITV/Sky taking the lead. It is just not financially viable any toher way.

Would be terrific if we did have HD viewing, but I just can't see it happening any time soon...

------------------
    Everybody be cool. YOU, be cool.
    --------------------------------------
    ptmbradley@yahoo.co.uk
    http://www.geocities.com/ptmbradley

8. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    o.k. simply put then..we have dvd-its got nothing to do with our current terrestrial standard..the japanese dont need dvd particularly as they have digital hdtv and d-vhs capable of recording it..
    Without the u.k.having anything similar,we could in fact have the reverse of the japanese situation.i.e. hd dvd`s and players-and they would sell.
    Dolby pro logic decoders were on sale in the u.k.before pro logic sound was available on t.v. or satelite..widescreen laserdiscs were on sale in the u.k.before widescreen transmissions...so i think its clear that sometimes the broadcasters follow suit..

A hd dvd standard would thrive in spite of the broadcasters over in the u.k.NOT because of.....then it may well be ..like pro-logic and widescreen,that sky might start a hd movie channel(they have in fact alluded to this many times in the past already..IF ..the interest was apparent..)

As i stated before,we already have some displays/projectors capable of displaying hd..we already have progressive scan/line quadrupling/scaling/drc etc...

My forecast is this,within 5 years,we will have hd dvd`s/players/recorders on the market(japan),a couple of years later we will have them for the u.k.market.
    Within 10 years,hdtv will be broadcast in the u.k.(probably as a pay channel).