What watch do you wear? Part 3

I'm just home from a family holiday in Orlando where I couldn't resist buying these 2 watches. I bought the Nixon (51-30) first thinking that would be my 'holiday purchase', but when I saw the Bulova (Precisionist 98B172 with a carbon fibre face)) I bought that as well. I just couldn't resist :D

Attachments

• Nixon 51-30.jpg
    Nixon 51-30.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,146
  • Bulova Precisionist.jpg
    Bulova Precisionist.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 1,290
@ Sparky83

I'm looking at getting one of these...

What watch do you wear? Part 2-image-148358330.jpg

It's an Armani Exchange chronograph, anybody have one?

I've not looked for prices on the uk yet, just saw it and liked it so added it to my amazon wish list but its priced in dollars, $220

This probably came out of the same factory and looks very similar without the outlay.

Mens Adidas Black Cambridge Watch ADH2572 | Mens Black Watch

Similar I agree...

But unfortunately non if the ones people have given as examples I haven't really liked.

I guess if I was willing to spend more I'd get more choice but its only a watch to me, yes I want a nice one, that I think looks good, and ideally the best I can afford but it needs to be something I like more than anything. Unless I'm wearing short sleeves no one would know its there, I can't wear it to work either so it's really for weekends and going out in the evening which is few and fair between these days.

As others have said, it's personal choice I guess. Will this watch tell the right time 5yrs down the line, yes probably.

Will it do it in an inferior way to a £500-£2500 watch? Times times ain't it? It's either right or it ain't.

Thanks for the advice guys, but I think I'll have to stick to my nice looking watch with rubbish guts in it.

Just like to warn some people.

Sent my Tag Monaco Chrono to Chealwatch for servicing in Dec last year.

Got it back and the chrono reset was misaligned ; not a problem it had when sent or exhibited in the 6 years I've owned the watch.

Sent it back for repair under warranty. Initially it came back with correct alignment ; first time I used the chrono reset it was misaligned again; even worse than before.

At the same time I sent a vintage Omega Seamaster for servicing.

I've just asked for that one to be returned as 4 months later chealwatch are unable to regulate it , provide a reasonable estimate of turnaround and unable to offer any explanation as to why.

This is despite numerous emails and phone calls where I have never been anything other than completely reasonable. I even offered to pay for more involved repair of the seamaster if required.

I will not trust them to rectify the Monaco Chrono. I'd rather pay someone else that risk sending it back to Chealwatch.

I would recommend that you find an alternative recommended watchmaker from one of the many watch forums.

Mr.D said:
Just like to warn some people.

Sent my Tag Monaco Chrono to Chealwatch for servicing in Dec last year.

Got it back and the chrono reset was misaligned ; not a problem it had when sent or exhibited in the 6 years I've owned the watch.

Sent it back for repair under warranty. Initially it came back with correct alignment ; first time I used the chrono reset it was misaligned again; even worse than before.

At the same time I sent a vintage Omega Seamaster for servicing.

I've just asked for that one to be returned as 4 months later chealwatch are unable to regulate it , provide a reasonable estimate of turnaround and unable to offer any explanation as to why.

This is despite numerous emails and phone calls where I have never been anything other than completely reasonable. I even offered to pay for more involved repair of the seamaster if required.

I will not trust them to rectify the Monaco Chrono. I'd rather pay someone else that risk sending it back to Chealwatch.

I would recommend that you find an alternative recommended watchmaker from one of the many watch forums.

There seems to be many complaints about Chealwatch. I've used Duncan at Genesis twice and service is superb.

I'm just home from a family holiday in Orlando where I couldn't resist buying these 2 watches. I bought the Nixon (51-30) first thinking that would be my 'holiday purchase', but when I saw the Bulova (Precisionist 98B172 with a carbon fibre face)) I bought that as well. I just couldn't resist :D

if you don't mind me asking, how much are the 51-30's over in the states? much cheaper than here?

the watch to have caught my eye today is this one
17380744 | Luxury Watches | Watches | Goldsmiths Website

although i thought F1's were generally a bit cheaper than this one at £1,175. looks nice though.

Do a search for the model number and you'll get it cheaper somewhere.
It's a chronograph, they're always dearer.
At the same time, I would personally say £1000+ is too much to spend on a quartz watch.
IMO, anything over £500-£600 and you should be getting an auto.
At least there's some engineering gone into the price then.

Do a search for the model number and you'll get it cheaper somewhere.
It's a chronograph, they're always dearer.
At the same time, I would personally say £1000+ is too much to spend on a quartz watch.
IMO, anything over £500-£600 and you should be getting an auto.
At least there's some engineering gone into the price then.

first google search of the number brings me this price
Buy Tag Heuer CAU1116.BA0858 F1 Chronograph Gents Watch - CAU1116BA0858 Tag Heuer - Precision Time

over £200 cheaper. i have used precision time before as well, excellent service from those guys, and there might be a little bit more movement on that price too.

if you don't mind me asking, how much are the 51-30's over in the states? much cheaper than here?
This particular model cost me $410 including tax, which is about £265. I've just had a quick surf around and found the same model on sale in the UK from £290 up to £345. So yes, its cheaper in the States but not significantly.

Its a cracking looking watch - big though!

£600 is more like what I'd pay for a quartz, tops.
Personally though, I don't like the coloured TAG logo.
My F1 grande date was just plain white logo on a black face.

I quite like it myself, each to their own and all that :thumbsup:

however, the watch hut won't price match as, and i quote

"We have reviewed your request and as an authorised dealer for that brand we don't feel that the other website is comparable to ours, so unfortunately we are not able to offer you any discount for that watch."

oh well.

skx1_zpsec4c7321.jpg

skx2_zpsefb18a7d.jpg

skx3_zps1ed9476c.jpg

skx007_zpsc8eb30e5.jpg

Last edited:
the watch to have caught my eye today is this one
17380744 | Luxury Watches | Watches | Goldsmiths Website

although i thought F1's were generally a bit cheaper than this one at £1,175. looks nice though.

Be careful with the newer F1's (2012 models and after) I had the same model without the red bits that I purchased in Dec 2012 as an early Xmas/40th birthday present for myself 17380745 | Luxury Watches | Watches | Goldsmiths Website, the bracelets mark where it joins the watch leaving two wear marks on each side. I took mine back to Goldsmiths in March and they sent it back to Tag who said they would polish the marks out but it would happen again as this is the way the watch is made/designed......:rolleyes: I checked a couple out of the window display and they were also starting to mark....

After a few weeks of arguments between Tag & Goldsmiths they agreed to my request to take it back and exchange for another model...I got an Aquaracer 500m 2012 model (as it has been discontinued and reduced) 17380854 | Luxury Watches | Watches | Goldsmiths Website

So pleased I changed it, I must admit I did not do much research into quartz/auto watches, I just went for the look.....looking back i'm glad I got shot of a £1250 quartz and now have an auto that is better in every way....

Last edited:
I'm just home from a family holiday in Orlando where I couldn't resist buying these 2 watches....

That's funny :) ....I also went to Orlando a couple of years ago for a family holiday and picked these two beauties from the Outlets... couldn't decide between them so scored a good deal on both.

It's strange as I've never been a "watch-man" and haven't worn a watch for years before getting these, relying on my phone instead. Now I seem to be scoping people's wrists if they look like they have something interesting...must be getting old...

389215d1365748719-what-watch-do-you-wear-part-3-oris.jpg
389219d1365750521-what-watch-do-you-wear-part-3-longines3.jpg

Attachments

• Oris.jpg
    Oris.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,666
  • longines3.jpg
    longines3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,358
Last edited:
That's funny :) ....I also went to Orlando a couple of years ago for a family holiday and picked these two beauties from the Outlets... couldn't decide between them so scored a good deal on both.

It's strange as I've never been a "watch-man" and haven't worn a watch for years before getting these, relying on my phone instead. Now I seem to be scoping people's wrists if they look like they have something interesting...must be getting old...

Nice watches, I cant help but think I have seen that Longines before...
Ah yeah, on my wrist.

_MG_5450_zpsaaed1589.jpg

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Nice watches, I cant help but think I have seen that Longines before...
Ah yeah, on my wrist.

I spent ages (three visits back to the shop) deciding on whether to go for the the blue or black version...the black one looks good (very classic) but as I was buying the Oris at the same time, thought I'd go for a change.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom