What was your first live gig?

I love a sunflower

Established Member
Reaction score
Mine was the Smiths in 1985 at the Brighton Dome.
James were the support act.

Can't think of a better introduction to live music.

Rich Tee.
:D

AC/DC, Dominion London 1980. Absolute mayhem!! Was deaf for three days and loved every minute of it!! :D

I cant remember, it was definitely at the City Hall in Newcastle, sneaking suspicion it was Lindisfarne.

10CC in Bristol...1985..........."I don't like cricket.......;)

Best Gig ever though was "Big Audio Dynamite" a few years later ....real atmosphere :cool:

Best effects has to be Pink Floyd at Wembley stadium....managed to get central to get the full quadrophonic effect ...wicked :devil:
Best bit was a bloke in front of me smoked a spliff, passed out on the floor for the whole concert & when it finished awoke to say it was the best concert he had ever been to :laugh:

Originally posted by rich tee
Mine was the Smiths in 1985 at the Brighton Dome.

Coincidentally, mine was also at the Brighton Dome. Gillan on the Magic tour, with Spider (the poor man's Quo) supporting. I think this must have been around 1981/2.

I turned down the chance to see AC/DC in Brighton in 1980. Bon Scott died a few months later and I've been kicking myself ever since.

first gig was a while back but

ac/dc sometime in the mid/late 70's at the old wardour st marquee was an amazing way to spend a wet boring monday night. i'd never seen them before, but had heard good things and as they played there almost every week I popped along. was blown away (as folk used to say)

best gig in brighton was leonard cohen in '79 - found it very strange when the very same gig turned up on a recent live album. very strange indeed.

Mine is too embarrassing to mention compared to what folks are posting here!!!

First live gig Roxy Music supported by Leo Sayer in Swansea.

Best live gig 20+ Bruce Springsteen gigs closely followed by Led Zep at Nebworth

Originally posted by Alan_W
First live gig Roxy Music supported by Leo Sayer in Swansea.

Best live gig 20+ Bruce Springsteen gigs closely followed by Led Zep at Nebworth

Roxy with Leo Sayer :eek: what was the promoter on :D

Which I had seen Springsteen in the early days, bit of an acrobat by all accounts.........and Zep :( Im jealous.

Originally posted by karkus30
Roxy with Leo Sayer :eek: what was the promoter on :D

Probably Leo's mother :devil:

My first was Rush at Stafford Bingley hall in 79!
can't believe it was so long ago :eek:

Marillion July 1983 - Pen-Yr Heol Leisyure Centre (near Swansea). They had done TOTP the same night (garden Party was in the charts) and didn't come on til around midnight. My fave band at the time - very good live.

Ultravox (the original line up with John Fox) at the Porterhouse in Retford. It would be in about 1977 or maybe 1978.

One of the first artist I saw live was Gladys Knight and one of the last was Barry White at Finsbury Park????????? I do not think I would like to go to one these days as from what I’ve seen on TV you buy seats then stand up.

Two of the best gig were The Temptations with Jr Walker. And the Atlantic show with Sister Sledge, Four Tops, Detroit Spinners and someone else (they only had a few minor hits but good act). Saw the Detroit Spinners an other time not only did they sing superbly they put on a good show and came down into the audience to meet them. A bunch of really nice guys. They also sing one of my top 5 songs of all time.:smashin:

QUEEN - 1980

At Bremen in germany.

Managed to persuade our youth club leader in the army camp to take us.
It was without doubt, the best night of my life.......well up to that point anyway.

DJW 666

Where did you see Big Audio Dynamite?

I first saw them at Brighton Top Rank in 1986, then in London subterainia in 1989 ish.

I also had tickets to see them in Porstsmouth but Mick Jones had
Chicken pox, and he went into a coma.

I finally saw BAD II with just Mick Jones and some new lads in the band in Australia, Coogee Beach Hotel (CBH) in 1992.

Ticket- bought a ticket- flew into

Rich Tee.

My first was Blur in 98/97 (bear in mind I wasn't born when half of you were attending half these gigs).

Jeez why did you all see cool bands the first time round, there must be some out there that saw utter rubbish the first time round - mine was transvision vamp back in 89, although Wendy James was definately worth seeing

actually my first gig was utter rubbish - a band called "Home" that I only went to see cos they'd supported Led Zeppelin at some time.

finally did see LZ - which definitely qualifies as the loudest gig I ever went to - three nights running at Earls Court in 75. couldn't hear properly for a about a week. actually I still can't. and that's another gig now out a on a live album. spooky man.

other memorables include Queen as support to (I think) Argent - or maybe Mott The Hoople - at the Rainbow, Motorhead's first gig at the Roundhouse (total fuzz-pedal madness, managed to medley "I'm waiting for my man" into "Silvermachine" without any discernable change!) and a few others of the period that'll quickly become boring...

My brother had a spare ticket to see The Scorpians at Hammersmith Odeon (possibly 80/81? Blackout Tour) and took me along.....hadn't a clue what I was letting myself in for!!!:eek:

Springsteen (82) was next at Wembley Arena and still remains best ever concert, that guy had some much stamina, I'm not sure who was most knackered after 3 hours set......him or the crowd :)

M

Originally posted by Gambit
My first was Blur in 98/97 (bear in mind I wasn't born when half of you were attending half these gigs).

Same as me mate, I saw Blur at the NEC in Brum, supported by the Super Furries and the Shirehorses no less. How Mark and Lard make one laugh! :clap:

Motorhead/Saxon at Bradford St Georges Hall, November 1979,
on the Bomber tour.......

Rich..

Originally posted by Games Guru
Same as me mate, I saw Blur at the NEC in Brum, supported by the Super Furries and the Shirehorses no less. How Mark and Lard make one laugh! :clap:

Must be the same tour - same support bands. Did the Super Furries do the wierd track with the kettle drums at the end? Something about oranges, I dunno, I was 14 and ****** :D Shriehorses were, of course, excellent. ;)

The Damned at the Rainbow Theatre, London - 1978.

I was 13, and we had seats 6 rows from the front - until they all got ripped up and thrown on the stage ! Dunno what the promoters were thinking, seats at a hardcore punk gig !

It was actually quite intimidating for a 13 year old. There were some very scarey looking people around, with some extraordinary haircuts.

Warm-up band were The Spodgenessabounds (way before their 'Two Pints of Lager and A Packet of Crisps, Please' fame).
Lead singer Max Splodge got a double-header BJ from his two backing singers, live on stage... another eye-opener for a young lad up the front :D

Come to think of it, Max was rather partial to dropping his trews for any reason he could come up with, including during the notorious 'farting Song', where the microphone was introduced to.... well, you get the picture.....:D

Fleetwood Mac 1982 at Wembly arena was my first, and the best was Pink Floyd at Earl's Court the closest thing I've had to a religious experience. When oh when will Pulse come out on DVD...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom