What was your first live gig?

Iron Maiden, World Piece Tour 1983, Southampton Gaumont.

I was 14 at the time, how i managed to persuade the parents to let me go remains a mystery:confused:

I remember this was one of the few occations that i saw a support band, Grand Prix on this occasion. As i got older we tended to spend more time at the bar and less watching the support bands. Thank good for the performance bell, without that i'm sure i'd have missed a lot of decent acts.

On a similar note i was at the Hammersmith odeon watching Ozzy in 86 or 87. I was stood at the end seat of the row, when this tall bloke stands next to me in the aisle. I was wondering why the bouncers were letting him stay there when everyone else had to stand in the seating rows. At the end he turned to leave and i caught a good look at his face.....it was Brian May !!! I'd been stood not a foot from Brian May for over an hour and i didn't even realise...DOH!!:rolleyes:

first was Donnington Monsters of Rock fest in 1988 - Maiden, megadeth, Helloween, David Lee Roth, Kiss.... and some bunch of wasters called Guns'N'Roses:rolleyes:

wicked gig at the time, but I wouldn't put myself through that again in a hurry:zonked:

Best I've seen would be a toss-up between Prong @ Astoria about 1990, Fields of the Nephilim @ Wolverhampton civic hall in '90 or '91 (can't remember), The Orb @ Brixton academy 1994, Aphex Twin @ Brixton 1994, or Jah Wobble in January last year. I reckon Mr Wobble's probably bagged it though, absolutely superb:smashin:

Originally posted by Rambo John J
first was Donnington Monsters of Rock fest in 1988 - Maiden, megadeth, Helloween, David Lee Roth, Kiss.... and some bunch of wasters called Guns'N'Roses:rolleyes:

That was my first too.

The best was probably Banco De Gaia in a tiny tent in Glastonbury, 1990 summut. Cloesly followed by the Hives at Brixton Academy a year or two ago.

My First was Powderfinger in 2000. I've seen some pretty good acts since though. Among the best were Radiohead at Earl's Court/Shepherd's Bush, Junior Senior at the King's Cross Scala, B.R.M.C. at the Underworld Camden, The Strokes/British Sea Power at Alexandra Palace and many more.

Ray Stubbs R&B All Stars at the Corner House Heaton Newcastle
with my dad aged 13. Great and hooked on live music ever since.

John Cooper Clarke at Lincoln Drill Hall,1981.
Saw him last year on the tube near Kings Cross..hasnt changed a bit.

The Cult at Birmingham's NEC Forum. They were still in the pre Electric time, I was 18 i think (1987?).

Brilliant concert, all standing.......but, Mr Astbury was a little lazy on the lyrics to be fair.

Still a great experience though and on I will obviously never forget.

Originally posted by gilesm
Jeez why did you all see cool bands the first time round, there must be some out there that saw utter rubbish the first time round

Beat this: Dr Alban - The Dentist Tour, Cape Town 1992

I bloody loved it too! :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

:p Mine was Transvision Vamp Aston Villa leisure centre back in 1991. "you aint seen me...........right!":laugh:

Been to plenty great ones since though, Massive Attack and Spiritualized being a couple of the best ones!:zonked:

Either Ozzy or AC/DC. Can't remember which but both were brilliant and I think around mid 80's at the NEC. Saw AC/DC on the Stiff Upper Lip tour and they still have it. Hope they come around again.

Aerosmith / Black Crowes / Stereophonics - Wembley Stadium - 1998?!

Massive Attack in Brixton a last year, twas great, before that I used to go to festivals instead

Oh sorry i thought it was what was your fav gig.

My first was Yargo (anyone remember them?) At the international2 about 88

Stiff Little Fingers at Southampton Gaumont.
It was the 'Go For It' tour so would have been 1981 I think.

Just bought some tickets this morning for my 13 year old son's first gig. Chilli Peppers in Cardiff

I'm getting old (wipes away wistful tear).

Takes me back to old memories.

First two gigs. 10cc & Barclay James Harvest on consecutive nights at the Birmingham Odeon in 1977.

It was just a silly phase I was going through

I saw 10cc in the 70's. Thought they were great. It's because.......

Barcay James Harvest at the Hammersmith Odeon were a 2 hour waste of time waiting for Mockingbird:suicide:

The Undertones at the Guildford Civic Hall 27th May 1979. Support band, The Chords were signed to Jimmy Pursey of Sham '69's record label. IIRC Sham had split up at the time and he formed an (ill-fated) new group with Steve Jones and Paul Cook of the Sex Pistols. They wanted to play an impromtu small set at the end of the gig. Obviously the Undertones weren't having it and tried to prevent this. A riot ensued and the audience stormed the stage. A massive lighting tower was pulled over and then the place was raided. I was only 13 at the time. :laugh:

My first proper gig was Ozzy at Hammy 'O' 1986 Ultimate Sin Tour, support was Ratt and christ they were crap!!

Originally posted by Assesears
Ray Stubbs R&B All Stars at the Corner House Heaton Newcastle

That used to be my local in the late eighties as I lived round the corner in High Heaton. They had some good local bands there including an Eric Clapton copycat that looked and sounded more like Clapton than he does himself.

That leads me nicely into my first live band as it was the Yardbirds starring Eric Clapton in 1965.

Another of the earliest bands that I saw was the Dave Clark Five which would also have been early sixties. Their song "Glad All Over" is still sung at Selhurst Park before every Palace home game but it isn't quite the same since they did away with the wooden terraces for people to stamp their feet along to it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom