1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your first live gig?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by rich tee, Feb 7, 2004.

1. rich tee

rich tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Mine was the Smiths in 1985 at the Brighton Dome.
    James were the support act.

Can't think of a better introduction to live music.

Rich Tee.
    :D

2. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    AC/DC, Dominion London 1980. Absolute mayhem!! Was deaf for three days and loved every minute of it!! :D

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I cant remember, it was definitely at the City Hall in Newcastle, sneaking suspicion it was Lindisfarne.

4. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    10CC in Bristol...1985..........."I don't like cricket.......;)

Best Gig ever though was "Big Audio Dynamite" a few years later ....real atmosphere :cool:

Best effects has to be Pink Floyd at Wembley stadium....managed to get central to get the full quadrophonic effect ...wicked :devil:
    Best bit was a bloke in front of me smoked a spliff, passed out on the floor for the whole concert & when it finished awoke to say it was the best concert he had ever been to :laugh:

5. cheeseywang

cheeseywang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Coincidentally, mine was also at the Brighton Dome. Gillan on the Magic tour, with Spider (the poor man's Quo) supporting. I think this must have been around 1981/2.

I turned down the chance to see AC/DC in Brighton in 1980. Bon Scott died a few months later and I've been kicking myself ever since.

6. grafzep

grafzep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    first gig was a while back but

ac/dc sometime in the mid/late 70's at the old wardour st marquee was an amazing way to spend a wet boring monday night. i'd never seen them before, but had heard good things and as they played there almost every week I popped along. was blown away (as folk used to say)

best gig in brighton was leonard cohen in '79 - found it very strange when the very same gig turned up on a recent live album. very strange indeed.

7. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,404
    Mine is too embarrassing to mention compared to what folks are posting here!!!

8. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    First live gig Roxy Music supported by Leo Sayer in Swansea.

Best live gig 20+ Bruce Springsteen gigs closely followed by Led Zep at Nebworth

9. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Roxy with Leo Sayer :eek: what was the promoter on :D

Which I had seen Springsteen in the early days, bit of an acrobat by all accounts.........and Zep :( Im jealous.

10. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    Probably Leo's mother :devil:

My first was Rush at Stafford Bingley hall in 79!
    can't believe it was so long ago :eek:

11. Martian Phil

Martian Phil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Marillion July 1983 - Pen-Yr Heol Leisyure Centre (near Swansea). They had done TOTP the same night (garden Party was in the charts) and didn't come on til around midnight. My fave band at the time - very good live.

12. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,759
    Ultravox (the original line up with John Fox) at the Porterhouse in Retford. It would be in about 1977 or maybe 1978.

13. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    The Scorpions at Demontford (Bradford) Hall in 1980 (I think):)

It was their blackout tour (still got the t-shirt lol).

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    One of the first artist I saw live was Gladys Knight and one of the last was Barry White at Finsbury Park????????? I do not think I would like to go to one these days as from what I’ve seen on TV you buy seats then stand up.

Two of the best gig were The Temptations with Jr Walker. And the Atlantic show with Sister Sledge, Four Tops, Detroit Spinners and someone else (they only had a few minor hits but good act). Saw the Detroit Spinners an other time not only did they sing superbly they put on a good show and came down into the audience to meet them. A bunch of really nice guys. They also sing one of my top 5 songs of all time.:smashin:

15. thamesider

thamesider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    QUEEN - 1980

At Bremen in germany.

Managed to persuade our youth club leader in the army camp to take us.
    It was without doubt, the best night of my life.......well up to that point anyway.

16. rich tee

rich tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    DJW 666

Where did you see Big Audio Dynamite?

I first saw them at Brighton Top Rank in 1986, then in London subterainia in 1989 ish.

I also had tickets to see them in Porstsmouth but Mick Jones had
    Chicken pox, and he went into a coma.

I finally saw BAD II with just Mick Jones and some new lads in the band in Australia, Coogee Beach Hotel (CBH) in 1992.

Ticket- bought a ticket- flew into

Rich Tee.

17. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first was Blur in 98/97 (bear in mind I wasn't born when half of you were attending half these gigs).

18. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jeez why did you all see cool bands the first time round, there must be some out there that saw utter rubbish the first time round - mine was transvision vamp back in 89, although Wendy James was definately worth seeing

19. grafzep

grafzep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    actually my first gig was utter rubbish - a band called "Home" that I only went to see cos they'd supported Led Zeppelin at some time.

finally did see LZ - which definitely qualifies as the loudest gig I ever went to - three nights running at Earls Court in 75. couldn't hear properly for a about a week. actually I still can't. and that's another gig now out a on a live album. spooky man.

other memorables include Queen as support to (I think) Argent - or maybe Mott The Hoople - at the Rainbow, Motorhead's first gig at the Roundhouse (total fuzz-pedal madness, managed to medley "I'm waiting for my man" into "Silvermachine" without any discernable change!) and a few others of the period that'll quickly become boring...

20. itcosthowmuch

itcosthowmuch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    My brother had a spare ticket to see The Scorpians at Hammersmith Odeon (possibly 80/81? Blackout Tour) and took me along.....hadn't a clue what I was letting myself in for!!!:eek:

Springsteen (82) was next at Wembley Arena and still remains best ever concert, that guy had some much stamina, I'm not sure who was most knackered after 3 hours set......him or the crowd :)

M

21. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Same as me mate, I saw Blur at the NEC in Brum, supported by the Super Furries and the Shirehorses no less. How Mark and Lard make one laugh! :clap:

22. box986

box986
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Motorhead/Saxon at Bradford St Georges Hall, November 1979,
    on the Bomber tour.......

Rich..

23. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must be the same tour - same support bands. Did the Super Furries do the wierd track with the kettle drums at the end? Something about oranges, I dunno, I was 14 and ****** :D Shriehorses were, of course, excellent. ;)

24. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    The Damned at the Rainbow Theatre, London - 1978.

I was 13, and we had seats 6 rows from the front - until they all got ripped up and thrown on the stage ! Dunno what the promoters were thinking, seats at a hardcore punk gig !

It was actually quite intimidating for a 13 year old. There were some very scarey looking people around, with some extraordinary haircuts.

Warm-up band were The Spodgenessabounds (way before their 'Two Pints of Lager and A Packet of Crisps, Please' fame).
    Lead singer Max Splodge got a double-header BJ from his two backing singers, live on stage... another eye-opener for a young lad up the front :D

Come to think of it, Max was rather partial to dropping his trews for any reason he could come up with, including during the notorious 'farting Song', where the microphone was introduced to.... well, you get the picture.....:D

25. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Fleetwood Mac 1982 at Wembly arena was my first, and the best was Pink Floyd at Earl's Court the closest thing I've had to a religious experience. When oh when will Pulse come out on DVD...

26. selexus

selexus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iron Maiden, World Piece Tour 1983, Southampton Gaumont.

I was 14 at the time, how i managed to persuade the parents to let me go remains a mystery:confused:

I remember this was one of the few occations that i saw a support band, Grand Prix on this occasion. As i got older we tended to spend more time at the bar and less watching the support bands. Thank good for the performance bell, without that i'm sure i'd have missed a lot of decent acts.

On a similar note i was at the Hammersmith odeon watching Ozzy in 86 or 87. I was stood at the end seat of the row, when this tall bloke stands next to me in the aisle. I was wondering why the bouncers were letting him stay there when everyone else had to stand in the seating rows. At the end he turned to leave and i caught a good look at his face.....it was Brian May !!! I'd been stood not a foot from Brian May for over an hour and i didn't even realise...DOH!!:rolleyes:

27. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    First gig was Korn at Wembley in April 2000 but it wasn't that good.

Best gig was probably Rancid last September, closely followed by One Minute Silence supported by Capdown at my uni last summer :D :clap:

28. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    first was Donnington Monsters of Rock fest in 1988 - Maiden, megadeth, Helloween, David Lee Roth, Kiss.... and some bunch of wasters called Guns'N'Roses:rolleyes:

wicked gig at the time, but I wouldn't put myself through that again in a hurry:zonked:

Best I've seen would be a toss-up between Prong @ Astoria about 1990, Fields of the Nephilim @ Wolverhampton civic hall in '90 or '91 (can't remember), The Orb @ Brixton academy 1994, Aphex Twin @ Brixton 1994, or Jah Wobble in January last year. I reckon Mr Wobble's probably bagged it though, absolutely superb:smashin:

29. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    That was my first too.

The best was probably Banco De Gaia in a tiny tent in Glastonbury, 1990 summut. Cloesly followed by the Hives at Brixton Academy a year or two ago.

30. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My First was Powderfinger in 2000. I've seen some pretty good acts since though. Among the best were Radiohead at Earl's Court/Shepherd's Bush, Junior Senior at the King's Cross Scala, B.R.M.C. at the Underworld Camden, The Strokes/British Sea Power at Alexandra Palace and many more.