1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was this programme/series

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Steve N, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,701
    From 50's or early 60's. Possibly called Out of this world, but memory may be totally confused.
    It was a different story each week. One was called (I think) Little lost robot.
    A man is working on something mechanical and asks the robot to pass him a spanner and the robot gets it wrong. The man gets angry and tells him to get lost, so the robot mixes with the other robots which are indistinguishable but do not have the intelligence of the lost robot.
    They have to find the lost robot as it has the special abilities so could be dangerous. So they set up a situation where it looks as if a woman is going to be injured by some machinery. The robot comes out of the group of robots to save the woman and is "killed" by a hidden electrified tripwire.

Another story had a radio ham (possibly called Joe) who contacts an alien spacecraft which is in trouble (the inhabitants are just like us, including american accents).
    They are very wary but he convinces them to trust him. He talks them down to where he is located. Their panicking voices are next heard on the radio claiming he has tricked them, they are in a swamp and they can see a monster serpent outside their window. They can't believe that Joe has done this to them.
    Joe rushes out into the rainy night to see what's happened and tramps into a puddle crushing a tiny spherical spacecraft underfoot without even noticing.

Most of the stories had this sort of twisted irony to them and, as a young kid, I always felt an emotional impact after watching.

Be very grateful if any can give me any info on this.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Little Lost Robot sounds like something Asimov wrote although that's entirely possible since his short stories were well suited to segments within shows like The Outer Limits or Twilight Zone.

Found a listing over at TV.com and your memory was spot on:)

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    Second one was from an anthology series it use to be on Saturday nights and was a UK production introduced by Boris Karloff????? (once again I cannot see it on IMDB),
    Did not know it was a radio ham I though just cheap production brit space outfit.
    The space ship lands on a very rainy day and start descending in the mud and a worm passes by and they keep saying to the guy there is monsters here.
    The ship slowly descends in the mud and only the antenna is above the ground level, they guy has there position and goes out to find them and walks over the antenna and breaks it off.

It was a sick story for a kid in them days to see.

Once found it in a episode guid but cannot for the moment.

4. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,701
    Thanks guys,
    I think thats the one Garrett. I think my memory had turned him into a radio ham cos I couldn't think how they connected.
    I remember several stories and it's possible I am assuming they were all from the same show.
    Another story I remember had a rescue mission going to a space station. During the checks on route they discover they are over weight. A stowaway is found (a girl I think) who is worried about her father who is on the troubled space station, and wants to see him.
    The problem is, with the extra weight they will not have enough fuel/air ? to get there.
    After much heart searching and different crew members voluntaring to sacrifice themselves, it becomes apparent that they are all essential and she will have to die if everyone else is to live. They manage to connect with her father for her to speak to him before she dies. This stretches the agony even further. And yes, into the airlock she goes.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    Of all the stories in that series that is the story that I still think of these day and think about the guys not being a ble to see the spaceship lind in the field just near them and it is not till the end you get to see the twist.

Ypu have got me going with this one I'm going to have to find an episode guid for the series.

By the way I could be wrong about it not being radio ham it is just the way the brain rememers stuff after a lot of years. I always though it was just low productions like insted of having hundreds of people at moniters like they do today, in the old days they had about 3.

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    I found this but the series says it was on the BBC and Im sure it was on ITV but may be of intrest to you 'OUT OF THE UNKNOWN' .

There was one on ITV that use to go outlate at night called Journy to the Unknown that ran for about 17 episodes the into was a big dipper ride late at night. It was in the 70's the one you are on about was in the 60's.

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    "Little lost robot" is definitely a short story by Isaac Asimov - one of the ones collected in the "I, Robot" anthology. I'm not aware of a TV adaptation, but it doesn't entirely surprise me that there is one.

8. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    There's a great deal of confusion over the various British and American series that had titles like 'Out of this World', 'Out of the Unknown', 'Into the Unknown' etc. Asimov's Little Lost Robot was definitely part of the early 60's Out of This World series (when ITV still made decent programmes...).
    BEEB2 had a terrific series 'Out of the Unknown' in the mid/late 60's, but I only caught the later ones as we didn't have BBC2 'til 1968 :rolleyes: Anyone remember the opening title sequence of window after window opening, finally revealing a surrealist painting in the style of Salvador Dali? The music was a swoopy electonic tune resembing human whistling. Excellent stuff.
    I think most of this series has been lost, only a few bits remaining, bloody vandals :nono:

9. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,957
    Garrett

I can remember the episode The Uninvited very well and it was definitely on the Beeb. No ads to ruin this brilliant tale.

Cheers
    Bri