What was the last game that truly surprised you?

What is this game about btw? Any good?

Don't know, I'll let you know when it arrives :D

But from reviews online it's a Bioshock / Half Life 2 hybrid. I'm just after a good solid campaign and the gameplay online looked good. I got it for £6.20 from Grainger Games who are currently doing 10% off pre-owned games.

majnu said:
Don't know, I'll let you know when it arrives :D

But from reviews online it's a Bioshock / Half Life 2 hybrid. I'm just after a good solid campaign and the gameplay online looked good. I got it for £6.20 from Grainger Games who are currently doing 10% off pre-owned games.

Bioshock scares me D: I love the artwork but it's so scary!

LouieBH said:
:eek: noone mentioned pokemon red!

Pokemon silver was the best tho

I can go back as far as Matt Hazard, Viva Pinata. More recently Bulletstorm and Rage. Im crying out for a decent game which i can enjoy SP and MP with friends

mass effect 1 - couldnt believe the scope of travelling around the planets and just how good a story/adventure video could be

Braid - unique and amazing, from gameplay, to the visuals to the music in a 'simple' side scorller.

Half life 2 - NO CUTSCENES! this game looked absolutely amazing and felt amazing.... walking around ans then seeing a giant spider thing (forget their names) off in the distance destroying some city. or seeing a whole army crossing the bridge.... so cinematic and real.

Wish other games would take note instead of treating you like a moron with cutscenes where all you do is 'press A' when its time to open a door :facepalm:

Last edited:
Half life 2 - NO CUTSCENES! this game looked absolutely amazing and felt amazing.... walking around ans then seeing a giant spider thing (forget their names) off in the distance destroying some city. or seeing a whole army crossing the bridge.... so cinematic and real.

Wish other games would take note instead of treating you like a moron with cutscenes where all you do is 'press A' when its time to open a door :facepalm:

Valve are one of the few companies who know that cut scenes are the gaming equivalent of breaking the forth wall in movies. It's lazy, jarring, and breaks the illusion of player control forcing the player to realise they are a mere actor in someone else's story rather than the game unfolding based on the players' actions.

For me, games like MGS and Heavy Rain are just Dragon's Lair and Space Ace with 21st century graphics.

apart from breaking the fourth wall in movies being lazy (it can be used to great effect), i agree

apart from breaking the fourth wall in movies being lazy (it can be used to great effect), i agree

I agree with that but I can't think if a single game where a cut scene is not used as a lazy way to progress the story.

I think there is too much preoccupation within the games industry to mimic movies. It seems as though they feel that if their game has the same budget, voice talent, and special effects, it somehow legitimises gaming as a respectable art form. It's as if the industry doesn't have faith in its own identity and needs to piggy back off the movie industry.

I'm actually a fan of cutscenes. Especially back in the ps1 days. Remember playing FF8 (and 9 earlier this year) and always looking forward to the next one. They arent for every game though that I will admit.

I'm actually a fan of cutscenes. Especially back in the ps1 days. Remember playing FF8 (and 9 earlier this year) and always looking forward to the next one. They arent for every game though that I will admit.

They aren't for any game I want to play. Wish we could have cut scene blockers for games like teh pop up blockers we have for the web.

if cutscenes are used right they help improve the character of the game...Cutscenes used for emotion are best cause emotion doesnt really translate in the normal game. Think of Gears...
the epic scene where Dom sacrifices himself to save his team and so he can be with his wife
. You couldn't do that without a cutscene. I agree though too many companies use cutscenes to get through the story in a lazy way but they do have to be present. Its all about how they are used, a good cutscene leaves you desperate for more, a bad one bores you....used in the wrong way and all you'll be doing is hoping its the type of game that allows you to jump the cutscene

I don't mind cut scenes as long as there not too long and they have a good point that you can't get across if we were walking around aimesly. What I do feel is needed is for cut scenes to more interactive so you can have narative choices that affect the outcome of the overall game, and button promt ones aswell I loved the one in RE4 where you are facing of against krouser with your knive and to not be placed randomly but strategicly

UFC is the best fighting game for right now for 2012 and I was really surprised. The gameplay is a little tough but you will get use to it. The graphics are awesome. Better features than last year. You can do so much with your career fighter. This game is the best. I recommend everybody to get this game.

Alan Wake - thought I'd hate it, not my cup of tea at all. More into FPS and stuff like Gears but I loved it!

Thanks, I might try pick that up :smashin:

As for me; Lara Croft Guardian of Light, really enjoyed it.. nice graphics, level design and the puzzles were good. I still need co-op achievements but no-one plays it anymore.

I haven't really been wowed by anything since the first time I came accross the Guitar Hero/RockBand games.

Not played anything with "wow-factor" since and instead play re-hashes of the same old things like FIFA and MW.

I really thought Kinect was an opportunity to do something new, but the games on that are dreadful, rushed and unimaginative.

Now then, you need to note that I'm in my 50th year and been playing games since the Amiga 500, so memory a problem here ;)

Good thread tho, cus when really thinking about this there have been relatively few games that have had the real WoW factor for me:

Rocket Ranger (Amiga 500)
Xwing (PC)
Another World (PC)
Medal of Honour, the first one (PC)
Call of Duty, the first one (PC)
Sega Rally (Sega Saturn)
Mario 64 (N64)
Goldeneye (N64)
Half Life 2 (PC)
COD:MW (360)
Red Dead Redemption (360)

Might just post an advert for shadows of the damned and singularity.:smashin:

I haven't really been wowed by anything since the first time I came accross the Guitar Hero/RockBand games.

God my memory really is rubbish, i was totally blown away by GH:II when it finally came out on xbox, i played it (and subsequently Rock Band) for hours and hours!

I think im really gonna make a point of trying new stuff this year and not just buying my monthly shooter, still need to pick up Bayonetta; looks ridiculous but at least its different :D

Picked up Bayonetta in the GAME "Sale", its currently patiently waiting for me to get over my Mass Effect obsession.

Might have to go back and see if i can picked up Vanquish, Singularity and Shadows of the Damned in the last few days of GAME trading.

Picked up Bayonetta in the GAME "Sale", its currently patiently waiting for me to get over my Mass Effect obsession.

Might have to go back and see if i can picked up Vanquish, Singularity and Shadows of the Damned in the last few days of GAME trading.

I didnt like Bayonetta at all for some reason, which is weird because i usually like games like that. Plus it had really good reviews, so i thought it would be great.

I didnt like Vanquish either, but thats just because its really repetitive.

But Shadows of the Damned and Singularity are insanely brilliant!! :smashin:

I didnt like Bayonetta at all for some reason, which is weird because i usually like games like that. Plus it had really good reviews, so i thought it would be great.

I didnt like Vanquish either, but thats just because its really repetitive.

But Shadows of the Damned and Singularity are insanely brilliant!! :smashin:

Just picked up shadows of the damned from my local blockbuster. I also was gonna get singularity as it was 2 for £20 but I'll leave that until I've completed shadows.

I couldn't get into bayonetta either, couldnt even get past the church with the dragon thing on easy or was it normal

Well had a few hours on shadows of the damned last night. I'd say its pretty good but nothing to write home about. I'd certainly agree with its metacritic score of 75 (I think) the only things i don't like are the fact the controls are a little clunky, the weapons/upgrade system is dull and so far the game is a little repetitive.

That being said there are new things being introduced level by level and I like the whole darkness concept and the bosses look good although seem a bit easy.

Definitely worth a look and don't regret paying £12 for it. It's just a bit rough round the edges. Will pick up singularity after this.

Just been checking some reviews and gameplay footage and definitely going to pick up the following:

El Shaddai
Vanquish
Dantes inferno

Will also probably get the following after the above:

The godfather
Alan Wake
Prototype 2

Again great thread guns. I've definitely overlooked Dantes and I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of El Shaddai. Vanquish has been one of these games I've picked up in the shops many times then changed my mind. It does look fun though.

Vanquish is £2.99 in Game/Gamestation. It's very good

Alan Wake is a must, defo needs to be played. It has it's faults but it's a fantastic game!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom