What was the last game that truly surprised you?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Guns_LotsOfGuns, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Guns_LotsOfGuns
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,313
    Was just looking through the release list for this year, while there are a few games im excited for, (Mass Effect, Bioshock Infinate). They are largely known quantity's which are unlikely to blow me away like some of the titles this generation.

Got me thinking as to when the last time that happened actually was, scrolled through my last played list and i ended up with Mirrors Edge & Viva Piñata which I can safely say i've never played anything like them before or since.

I've loved many games this generation but most of them seem to be building on existing mechanics or ideas and looking at this years releases it seems the trend will continue.

What was the last game you played which truly surprised you and are there any games your looking forward to this year that you think might do just that?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. KCooperman

KCooperman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Dead Space - I thought it was going to disappoint but it ended being my fav game of that year.

More recently Rayman Origins has surprised me - Didn't really know much about it until played the demo and loved it!

3. Battle

Battle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Batman: Arkham Asylum

Came out of nowhere and blew me away. I hated the demo but bought it on the back of the reviews and because I didnt have anything else to play.

Brilliant game.

4. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Games that surprised me are

Uncharted only played it as a friend insisted I thought I'd hate it like I hat tomb raider games but enjoyed it.

Mass effect I liked the fact it wasn't the grind fest I was expecting it to be

Trine if anyone remembers the amiga game the lost Vikings this is very similar but cooler

Portal and portal 2 great games is all I can say

preety much looking forward to the last of us on ps3 and prolly the last guardian if it ever gets released

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  5. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,692
    Doritos Crash Course

Addictive, challenging and annoying. Best of all free

6. VivaFathom

VivaFathom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Honestly it was probably Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare. After Call of Duty 3 i was not expecting it to be one of the best shooters of all time. It was just going to be my stop gap until Vegas 2 but it took over completely.

7. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,108
    Dead space - great controls, theme and plenty of scatty moments.
    Demons souls - probably best game played this gen, tough as nails but very rewarding.
    Arkham asylum - comic book games are normally *****. This was exceptional.
    Rayman origins - Normally have to go Nintendo for quality platformers but this was great, nice touches of humour all the way through, great controls, visually superb (especially on PS3) and lots of replay value.

8. majnu

majnu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,534
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 - Although I picked that game up late after all the patches had been implemented.

Being a FPS player, the sound (War Tapes), destruction, maps, vehicles blew me away after I had got used to the game modes. "You see someone camping in a building, you blow the bloody building on top of him" :D

Vietnam dlc added loads of fun especially with that flame thrower. The last time a FPS bought a smile to my face was COD WAW.

Crysis 2, Gears of War(s), Metro 2033 and Bioshock(s) - Also surprised me. All great games.

9. oasismark

oasismark
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,696
    [Prototype]

Was an absolute nothing game to me, stuck it on my rentals list cos i liked the cover.

Totally loved it, enjoyed the freedom, the weapons, the cloning thing, a real fun game to play with multiple ways to complete missions.

Looking forward to [Prototype 2] out quite soon.

10. kristianity77

kristianity77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    Shadows Of The Damned and El Shaddai. Picked them both up for £4.99 in the recent xmas sales at Gamestation and they are both quality titles and i had read in a few places that both were underrated and its very true! A tenner very well spent!

11. mossym

mossym
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    red dead redemption, only bought it cause some of the others on here were getting it and would be a laugh on MP, and it turned out to be the best SP game i've played

12. Megaross

Megaross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Another for red dead, someone bought it for me as present of some kind, birthday/ christmas I don't really remember which. I thought "Well this is going to be ****"
    Played it, loved it!

13. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,599
    Excellent Thread Guns,
    I was thinking that I could not remember many games that blew me away or suprised me and then I started reading the responses and realised actually over the past few years there has been some excellent games.

I dont think there has been any the past year except Vanquish which is nothing new to be honest but I knew nothing about it and rented it from Lovefilm just to give it a go. Could not put it down and really really enjoyed it, its like Gears on Speed :laugh:

Other games as others have said.

Red Dead Redemption, think it was a week before release that I starting looking into this and I was watching Deadwood at the time and was really looking forward to the game. Picked it up at midnight and played for a few hours and then it was the only game I played for about 6 months. It suprised me everytime I played it. Never new I would enjoy picking flowers so much in a game or hunting down bears or even just waking up on a mountain in Mexico. Stunning game with an excellent story, close to perfection as you can get imo.

Prototype, now I had my eye on this for ages but was never to sure if it would deliver. Oh boy did it deliver. Same again as RDR it was the only game I played and it was just soo much fun, with all the moves and fighting combos I thought it would be too much but it was excellent and easy enough to play. Gliding through a Infected New York and then slicing people in half just never got old, it was carnage and I loved it.

Mirrors Edge, heard good things but really had no interest in it until it was under a fiver. Picked it up along with some X1's and had an afternoon off work. Completed the game in 1 sitting and loved it. Original game and excellent game mechanics a nice twist to FPS. GFX were not great but the sound and gameplay was spot on.

Batman AA was another game that passed me by, tried the demo and hated it. Ended up borrowing it off Dieeasysteve and then losing my life for 30+ hours :eek:
    The game was stunning and I WAS BATMAN, the game made me feel like a kid again. One of the greatest gaming experiences I have ever had. I WAS BATMAN !!!!!!!
    The voice acting, the puzzles, the atmosphere, the fighting mechanics, storyline and GFX were all superb.
    And did I say I WAS BATMAN :laugh:

2011 did not bring many suprises or hidden gems to be honest. Still some great game but nothing that blew me away or made me sit up and think HELLS YEAH THIS IS A GAME
    I am hoping for good things in 2012 with some sequals but also hoping for that next hidden gem like Mirrors Edge or Batman AA

14. Lurking Lawyer

Lurking Lawyer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,877
    I think that games that blow you away and those that surprise you are two slightly different things though, no? There have been a few games that have "blown me away" over the past few years - but TBH I'm struggling to think if any where it was unexpected - either because of the pre-release hype or I knew that that game would appeal to me particularly.

But like Tones, I'm struggling to remember what is the last game that truly surprised me. I'm not sure if that says more about my ever-poorer memory or the state of the games industry! :D

On balance, I suspect it would have to be Demons Souls or Batman: Arkham Asylum. Probably the latter rather than the former, as (at least for me) it came completely out of left field. I'd heard nothing about before it came out (not being a comic fan) and bought it speculatively on teh basis of word of mouth without having seen any reviews.

Demons Souls was surprising in the extent to which it just didn't make any attempt to molly-coddle the player (and in that respect was a pleasant (?) throwback to my 8-bit and 16-bit gaming days) but I sort of knew what to expect so the surprise was tempered.

But as Tones also says - good thread, Mr Guns! :thumbsup:

15. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Guns_LotsOfGuns
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,313
    Thats just what i thought, theres loads of great games, they just do the same thing better and better, maybe a new generation will kick start the innovation!

I think im really gonna make a point of trying new stuff this year and not just buying my monthly shooter, still need to pick up Bayonetta; looks ridiculous but at least its different :D

16. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,599
    I agree but I guess with some of the games I posted above have done both, like RDR the graphics and stunning scenery blew me away to be honest. The Sunrise and Sunsets were stunning and I would just stand there and stare at the scenry for 5 minutes but the game also suprised me as in how much I would like it and how many hours i sunk into it. Was not expecting it to grab me as it did and be so good. Same as Batman AA for me as well. Suprised that I liked it after hating the demo and it blew me away with its storyline and atmosphere which I was not expecting at all. I knew it was going to be good but not that good.

17. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,599
    Same here, I love my shooters and normally just stick with FPS shooters but after playing Vanquish I think I will be trying more TPS and other games.

Bayonetta is a game I have on my maybe list just to try it out so maybe this year I will try those sort of games. But I have lots still to complete.

I just rembered another game that did actually suprise me last year and that was Fear 3, having played Fear 1 & 2 and being very similiar I was expecting the same again and was just playing it to complete the story really but it was quite a nice suprise with how it played and the different way you could play the game with 2 different characters. Did not blow me away like the first Fear but it sure upped it on the previous game and was a nice little suprise.

I have heard good things about Singularity as well so going to pick that up at some point.

18. kristianity77

kristianity77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    Singularity is fantastic. At the end of every year when the sales come round i tend to go on youtube just searching for videos of what people think are games that fly under the radar. These typically are ones that havent sold well for whatever reason, and are found in bargain bins for next to nowt! Because of this i bought as above Shadows Of The Damned (which is great if you like resident Evil) El Shaddai, which is a bit like Devil May Cry, only simplified and Singularity as mentioned above, which is not too disimilar to the first Bioshock which i couldnt get enough of

19. Lurking Lawyer

Lurking Lawyer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,877
    Fair point - it's entirely subjective, I suppose, and depends very heavily on what you were expecting.

I'd been following RDR through development and have been a huge fan of Rockstar's previous sand box games, so the level of expectation was very high for me - as such, it was no surprise that it delivered on it.

Doesn't change the fact that it was arguably GOTY for 2010 for me (or I may have ranked it a close second to ME2 - I forget) - but it wasn't really a surprise ;)

I'm entirely in agreement with Guns' more general point though - there do seem be fewer and fewer genre-breaking games which offer something new, rather than a bigger/better/longer/more explosive rehashing of the previous iteration. There's nothing wrong with that - and I enjoyed GoW3, MW3 et al - but there's no sense of anything new in them.

Coupled with that the current mania for "re-imagining" old favourites (XCOM, Syndicate, I'm looking at you!), that can't be good for the industry in the long run....

20. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Guns_LotsOfGuns
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,313
    Don't get me started on reboots :lesson:

Saying that though I loved Deus Ex.

You just cant win with me :p

21. Lurking Lawyer

Lurking Lawyer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,877
    I deliberately didn't mention DE:HR as I too loved it - definitely in my top 3 games of the year.

I'll treat that as an honourable expection ;)

22. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,599
    I only knew about RDR maybe a few weeks before release and I really did not enjoy GTA4 so was not expecting much from RDR to be fair so I guess thats why it was such a suprise.

Its a shame about not getting new games and just reboots as you and Guns say and ofcourse the endless sequals, seems the entertainment media industry dont like to try new things. I still think we have had some great games though from some stale genre's like FPS with the likes of Mirrors Edge and games like Timeshift years back and ofcourse lets not forget Portal :eek::clap:

Not sure if its the gaming industries fault or the gamers fault as alot of us buy all the sequals and they are the biggest games, take COD and Gears for example with these selling in there millions why should they try something new ???
    And even when a game comes along that does something new it normally does not sell or its maybe been overhyped and not delivered so does not last long.

I think we all want something new with games but its also quite hard to move away from the games you already know. I buy COD every year because of this. I know what I am getting and I know I can jump straight into the game and enjoy it and know what I am doing.

Maybe a new generation of console will do it and give us some great new style games but I think in reality it will be more of the same but look pretty damn good :D

23. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Guns_LotsOfGuns
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,313
    Holy crap how did I forget Portal!?, that's probably the biggest surprise of the generation so far! Good Call!

24. Lurking Lawyer

Lurking Lawyer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,877
    There's a large degree of Catch 22, isn't there?

Games cost so much to make these days that publishers are far less inclined to take a punt on something new and untested, which may not make them any money (or, indeed, turn a loss) when there's guaranteed money in churning out Battlefield Warfare of War 17, with its in-built guaranteed-to-buy fanboy adherents.

I suppose there will always be smaller developers who will be prepared to strike out from the mainstream, and hopefully at least a few publishers who will be prepared to look beyond the obvious. The bigger the likes of EA et al get, the more of a stranglehold they will have on the games industry and the less likely that something quirky like Portal will make it to market.

25. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,599
    I knew nothing of Portal, it was just an extra 'rubbish puzzle' game that came within the Orange Box. Completed Half Life 2 and the episodes one evening and decided to try Portal. 6 Hours later I was done and had to go to work in a few hours :eek::eek:
    I could not put it down until I completed it, now that was a game that both suprised me and blew me away.
    Only a few games have made me feel like that since. :thumbsup:

26. Bamford38

Bamford38
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    The biggest surprise of Portal was definitely when you went "behind the scenes".
    That whole section just blew me away.

27. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,599
    Completely agree, and the problem you get is ofcourse release day sales. Alot of the games that do something different and fly under the radar and then everyone raves about never sell on release day and only get picked up come Bargain Bin time.
    We have had so many games that have not delivered over the past few years so alot of people dont want to take the plunge on a new game. And ofcourse without the big release day sales then that game developer is not going to be given the oppertunity again to make something different to the norm.

It sure is a catch 22 situation.

But thanks to this forum we do get to play these little gems and hear about them quite quickly.

Am going to keep an eye on this thread to see what suprises are posted so I can pick them up.
    Also need to think about what is coming out that might be a sleeper hit or big hitter from out of nowhere.

28. Lurking Lawyer

Lurking Lawyer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,877
    One thing that really struck me last year was, all of a sudden, how quickly even A-list games were being marked down sub-£20. There's almost no incentive to buy on release day now when you can say with a reasonable degree of certainty that it will be sub-£25 in less a month after release and probaby down to £10-15 after 3 months.

We've already mentioned DE:HR. I thought it was superb and was absolutely amazed when it had dropped to £17.99 only four weeks after release. One of the best games of the year and you could pick it up for less than a tenner by year end - only a few months after it came out.

I'm not sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, TBH. I suppose it has elements of both - it's good for those gamers who can resist the temptation to buy immediately on release, but it's not so good for the industry as a whole since it really just exacerbates the problem I referred to above - a game has to be a hit immediately or it gets written off and further dissuades developers and publishers from taking a punt on new things.

Anyway, I too am guilty of completely forgetting Portal - and like Tones I played it with no expectation or knowing anything about it, having only bought Orange Box for the Half Life content.

29. majnu

majnu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,534
    Annual Sequels I get bored with too easily now. After a while it is the same old thing - COD is a prime example.

However sequels like GOW are not annual therefore it gives time for people to miss the game and look forward to the next release instead of hating on the game when it's out.

Games which take you out of your comfort collection are the ones that will truly surprise you. I wonder what Jason would be surprised by though as he plays everything? :D

30. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,108
    Thanks for the heads up about shadows of the damned and el shaddai. Will check these out once im in a gaming lull with the 3DS.