What was the last best CRT?

rooo

Established Member
Reaction score
I mentioned on a previous thread about deciding to hold off purchasing an LCD or Plasma just yet as we are watching exclusively SD on our current CRT.

So my question is, what was the last best CRT made that I should look out for on the second hand market?

Size is not really an issue for the CRT, a 28" would be fine.

Pretty much all of the Sony Trinitrons were fantastic sets, so if you can pick a nice newer widescreen model then you can't really go wrong.

Panasonic Tau, and the Toshiba picture frame TV's were also quite good. Some would say better than the Sony's!

i will also agree that the toshiba picture frames and the TAU pannies wear good with a host of problems such as toshibas classic scan converter module fault, and some of the pannies sufferd from NTSC fanning, high pitched sounds ! but over all pretty good.
i will have to go with sony as they have been making tv's much longer than the other 2 brands and TRINITRONS as far back as 20+ yrs today still impress me ;)

fatrich has a 36" Toshiba going cheap in the classifieds. Treat yourself :) They're awesome sets.

Mike.

I too would go with Sony and there are some good deals on Ebay at present.

fatrich has a 36" Toshiba going cheap in the classifieds. Treat yourself :) They're awesome sets.

Mike.

it is awesome and yes the progressive scan module has been replaced on this set under warrenty

richard

I am a big fan of Philips sets, in particular the PixelPlus and PixelPlus2 models. I find Sony colours obscure.

Wasn't sure about recommending Philips as they tend to have poor tube life. I don't mind the Sony's picture wise, although with all the ones I've had, the geometry had to be adjusted slightly from the factory settings in the service menu.

If you manage to hunt down a Sony HQ100 then go for it....easily the best CRT I have seen/owned.

The picture on the Sonys was always very good, but for me they had a major disadvantage - Sony never seemed to bother damping the flyback transformer, which meant they produced an extremely loud 15.625kHz whine. A lot of people can't hear this, but if you can, a large screen Sony was torture - I returned several over the years because I simply couldn't stand the noise they made.

The solution was either to go to a Panasonic (who did seem to understand about damping the transformers) or to go to a 100Hz Sony set. From about 2000 onwards, I think Sony were beating Panasonic in terms of quality - in the early 90's, I don't think there was much in it, and I tended to prefer Panasonic.

If you manage to hunt down a Sony HQ100 then go for it....easily the best CRT I have seen/owned.

Very nice aesthetics, beautiful in fact but I don't think it had progressive scan and it was without component inputs only RGB or S video! Still a nice looking TV that commands a high price on auction sites. Last one I saw went for over £400 as compared to the Panasonic PD 30/50 or the Toshiba ZP38 which are lucky if they can reach £200 especially when you consider that both of these have Progressive scan and component inputs.

Thanks guys.

I've just bought a Sony KV-28LS60U off ebay, so this should do the job for 2-3 years until LCD has improved, and HD is more readily available.

Very nice aesthetics, beautiful in fact but I don't think it had progressive scan and it was without component inputs only RGB or S video! Still a nice looking TV that commands a high price on auction sites. Last one I saw went for over £400 as compared to the Panasonic PD 30/50 or the Toshiba ZP38 which are lucky if they can reach £200 especially when you consider that both of these have Progressive scan and component inputs.

Yeah its really a weel made/build CRT. I had the Panny PD50 before it and the Sony is imho a better set......the dynamic range and definition is huge. I saw a second hand 32HQ100 the other day for £1000 here in Denmark. THe super fine pitch tupe is the best :thumbsup:

I'd say the Tosh 36ZP38 for picture and features (Component, good sound) and the Philips 32PW5909 (picture only). See sig :) In fact I'd personally rate the Philips picture slightly better than my Tosh's one.
However having recently seen a good LCD properly set up showing SD , I'd
be happy with certain LCD models. I think part of the problem is LCDs are very easy to set up badly and only certain models perform well with SD.

Wasn't sure about recommending Philips as they tend to have poor tube life. I don't mind the Sony's picture wise, although with all the ones I've had, the geometry had to be adjusted slightly from the factory settings in the service menu.

Poor tube life :cool: not likely, i have owned a Phillips '36' 9525 for well over 9 years and it's still going strong with one of the best pictures i have seen on a tv (all tv's). Only last week i was complemented on the picture quality (via freeview) by a good friend who says it's a lot better than his plasma !!! Until it goes ''pop'' then i will stick with my 'short life' Phillips thank you.

My current 5 year old Philips 32PW6506.

Poor tube life :cool: not likely, i have owned a Phillips '36' 9525 for well over 9 years and it's still going strong with one of the best pictures i have seen on a tv (all tv's). Only last week i was complemented on the picture quality (via freeview) by a good friend who says it's a lot better than his plasma !!! Until it goes ''pop'' then i will stick with my 'short life' Phillips thank you.

I had a 32" 9565 for 7 years and never had a picture was as good as the day I bought it.

I donated it to an old folks home, where an elderly relative is staying, 18 months ago and it's still going strong and it's on most of the day.

The bloke who changed the DFS module in my Tosh also remarked that Philips tubes are not very good, but I've not had any problems with my Philips 32" 9509.

He also said the smaller Tosh's (32" I think) used Philips tubes.

Still, I've just realised Tosh can do Progressive scan on the interlaced RGB input, which is news to me. I thought the source signal had to be progressive?? Or am I missing something?

I'd probably try and find that widescreen 28" PC CRT monitor, you can't get better than that for a CRT TV!

The bloke who changed the DFS module in my Tosh also remarked that Philips tubes are not very good, but I've not had any problems with my Philips 32" 9509.

He's correct.
Philips TVs were probably the no1 selling CRT brand in their day across Europe and they had a very high failure rate for their CRTs.
Naturally there will always be forum members who state they've had no problems but they represent a tiny proportion of Philips owners.

He also said the smaller Tosh's (32" I think) used Philips tubes.

Also some 28"...as did some Daewoo, Hitachi, JVC, Samsung and Sanyo models.

Ive got a Sony 36HQ100 that I may have to sell due to an impending house move (moving in with my gf). Wonder how much I could get for it??

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom