What was the game that got you hooked?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by pointon, Nov 26, 2001.

1. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Been a bit quiet around here lately, so I thought I'd start one of these daft threads... So what's the first game that got you hooked on video games? Where'd you play it, at home or in an arcade? What format was it? What did you like about it? Etc...

For me it was Asteroids on that old wooden Atari thing. Had it for Xmas donkey's ago. Bloody brilliant that thing was... with Space Invaders and Tank, and something else that I can't quite remember. First Arcade game (when it cost 10p a go) was Paperboy. Fantastic!

2. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Probably DEFENDER in the arcades.

Me and my mates use to be able to clock the game (999,999) and were alsways trying to beat each other on the high score table by getting closest to 999,999 without going over.:D

Then I got my Spectrum.

;)

3. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    For me it was Gridrunner on the Vic20 (wow, that was a while ago :) )

4. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    I remember playing the pong type machines, but it was arcade Space Invaders that did it for me, been hooked ever since. It's OK though, I can quit any time I want... honest.

5. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think for me the first game was the atari home system that came with space invaders. What made me ask Daddy for it was the footy game that had 101 variations ! Seemed great at the time but what a rip off when looking back.

6. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,545
    Space invaders and Asteroids in the arcades originally.
    Then probably breakout on the Granada console.
    Then a tape loading game (I can't recall the name) on my Video Genie. It was like space invaders but had a big mothership at the end with a tiny little ship between it and you. You had to shoot the little ship but if you missed and hit the mother ship it hit you with lightening, killing you immediately.
    I programmed more than played games on my Colour Genie.
    Then when I left for poly it would be Sinistar in the Arcades.
    Then Knight Lore on the Spectrum.
    Various games on my Atari and Amigas, but nothing stands out.
    Then my monochrome, silent PC was upgraded solely to play X-wing. After that any flight combat Lucas Arts game.
    When working, Wolfenstein, Dooms and Quake.
    Command and Conquer and Red Alert.
    Recently Cossacks and Quake Arena.

7. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,507
    Space Invaders, Asteroids, Defender in the arcades!
    Remember spending an eternity playing Pacman and Space Invaders on the Atari, it was great being a teenager in the early eighties! Seems as though all who have added to this thread are of a similar age!

cheers
    Si

8. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Pong! on a dodgy binatone console in Glasgow house of frasier.
    I then went on to be a Spectrum owner.

After a huge break from gaming it was Street Fighter II Turbo on the snes that made me realise what I was missing and then I went on to own every console since! (although not many beat-em-ups strangely)

9. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The game that really got me hooked was Elite on the BBC B, there have been games before it and games after it but none have kept me playing anywhere near as long as that one.... wonderful :D

An updated version would be a dream come true...

10. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First ever game I ever played was a quiz game on the ZX81- my mate and I thought it hilarious to call our contestant "SodBod"- I still sometimes use him in hi score table etc- so if you ever spot it on machines down Southend.........!

First game I owned was for my rubber keyed speccy- Football Manager and the game I was also addicted to was Pele Soccer on the Atari VCS (the original not the ugly 2600).

I was unbeatable at Pele Soccer for years, then with Match Day and Match Day II, Super Formation Soccer on SNES.

Now I just love the ISS and PES games on any format- one thing that amazes me now is that football games are so life like, in the past I could have a system that would beat anyone- but now with the random elements and stats thrown in like nothing being a certain goal I get the odd game where my mates come round and have one shot and win by one goal!!! You should see my face as my striker gets through on goal only to see the ball sit up and him sky it over the bar- its amazing seeing how detailed it is in the replays.

I should hates this as it takes a way a bit of the skill element- but because it makes the Konami series play such a convincing game of football I wouldnt be without it.

11. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    For me it was Asteroids, Defender & Missile Command in the arcades.

When they came out on the Atari & you could play at home it was great!!

In terms of being hooked on gameplay Elite was the one for me, bloody magic!! nothing like letting off an energy bomb after youve been hijacked in hyperspace!

cheers

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,231
    Energy bombs don't work on Thargoids only the tharglets which ideally you want to fuel scoop and sell as alien artifacts after you've taken out the mother ships!

( cue hovis music) When I were a lad I practically grew up in an arcade: I can remember when Galaxians was the best thing going because it was in colour and Gorf was state of the art because it spoke "ha ha ha space cadet" Remember when scrolling shoot em ups were the next big thing ( xevious, time pilot) then Zaxxon came along and we were amazed by the lifelike "3D". The Track and Field machine provoked a sudden demand for plasters. The sheer buzz of having over a dozen people crowd round to watch you play star wars and clock up 27 million. Then the grudge matches and the challenges from out of towners....bliss.

Bear in mind this was back in the days when arcades were not necessarily populated solely by fruit machines , glue sniffers and heroin addicts. Was about the only place in town where kids could congregate without suspicion believe it or not.

13. Laingy

Laingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about 3D monster maze on the ZX81, -- the first time I saw Trex, or scoring a goal on Football Manager

ASteriods in the arcade

Pong on the Atari VCS

Donkey Kong on the Coleco vision

And one of the best ever Track and Field, an original game with masses of playability

14. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I was a lad I was mostly playing;

Space Invaders
    Pac-Man
    Robotron
    Joust
    Tempest
    Centipede

------------Break to start work------------

Dungeon Master (Atari ST)

-------------Buys PC--------------

Quake 1 & 2
    Half Life (spend about 4 weekends year in my purpose built garage with mates playing CounterStrike non-stop from Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon with as little sleep as possible)

Whilst in Florida this summer I picked up the Atari Arcade Hits 1 & 2 double CDROM set for about £6.00. It has the original code running on the original processor (in software form of course). That means TOTALLY original gameplay, visuals, sounds & everything. Games are;

Asteroids
    Centipede
    Missile Command
    Pong
    Super Breakout
    Tempest
    Asteroids Deluxe
    Gravitar
    Crystal Castles
    Millipede
    Warlords
    Battlezone.

MS do Pac-Man so all I'm missing is the original code of Taito? Space Invaders. No other version will do.

15. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    I never used to hang around long enough! Drop the bomb and get my arse out of there!!

Providing you had enough fuel to do it!! If you didnt, you´d have to engage the Intergalactic Hyperspace jump!!

Aaah! the joys of blasting a space station and every police ship that came out of it was another classic!! Instant Fugitive status!!!

16. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215

***COUGH*** MAME *****COUGH****:D

17. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Football Manager on the Spectrum - god that still has to be the ultimate footy game. If only someone could update it to include better graphics (although the stickmen were good!).
    This was the first (and only) game that kept me up all night.

18. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    The only game to ever keep me up all night was Super Mario Kart.
    There were 4 of us and it was battle mode heaven.

Just ...one ...more ...go!

I don't think I've ever had a more intense gaming experience (maybe 12-player LAN GLQuake - that was great too!)

19. moonhead

moonhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well if you want the original code and have a decent PC you should be definately looking at MAME, which runs the original ROMS from 3000+ arcade games, including many different versions of Taitos Space Invaders.

All the early arcade games mentioned here are available, Defender, Asteroids, Missile Command, Pac-Man etc. even up to very recent games such as those on the Neo-Geo.

If you haven't seen it, try these places:
    www.mame.dk
    www.mameworld.net
    www.mame.net

and you are in for an extremely nostalgic gaming trip !