1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What volume levels do you have your amp set to when watching DVD movies?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tk2001, Jun 11, 2002.

1. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I'm not sure whether this topic has been posted before, but I'm just curious as to what kind of volume levels most of the people in this forum have their amp at when watching DVD movies.

I have a Denon 3802 and when I watch a DVD movie, I always have the volume to at least -15dB (70db to 75dB) which is quite loud, and if theres noboby home, then I might crank up the volume to -05dB (85dB-100dB) which is very loud. The highest level I would have my amp at is +05dB, and I would have to be really stupid or drunk to have it that loud.

Does anyone in this forum plaay their DVDs at similar volume levels?

BTW, I have comfigured my speaker levels with a SPL meter using AVIA.

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,403
    Preferred volume is 0db with AVC-A1SE. When kids are watching then -10 or -15 dB.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    With my A1SE, I listen to most dvds at around -20db or -25db. Some discs like Fight Club are plenty loud enough at -30db but The Phantom Menace I have to watch at -15db.

Depends on the dvd really.

Just to add, the system (after its upgrade) is now calibrated to 85db via AVIA which equates to 0db on the volume display.

4. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Normally -45 to -40 Sony 1070, -33 = 75db I try sneaking it down slowly to -33 but usually get caught by the missus :(

5. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Isn't 0dB between 90dB to over 100dB using a spl meter? - I watch 'Gladiator' R1 DTS with my amp on -10 and that was bloody LOUD (reached up to 100dB on the spl meter!)

I must imagine watching Gladiator through your amp at 0dB must deliver earth-shattering volumes levels!

6. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Not neccesarily. If his speaker have higher impedence, less sensitivity, if he listens in a bigger room, if his room is more dampened- there are quite a lot of things that could attribute to this being an acceptable volume level. Although on the face of it just reading it my ears are hurting ;-)
    15db sounds like a big difference between the listening level your kids use and the one you use, is this on the same source?

In keeping with the thread, i run my yammy dsp-ax620 at about -30 db for dolby digital. I've no idea what volume the 75db reference level is I'm afraid....

7. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I play movies generally at 10-15 dB below reference level (-10 to -15 dB). The nice thing of having a THX pre/power amp is that the reference sound pressure level is the same for all THX systems for a given volume setting, because the speakers are calibrated to a normalized level. With non-THX systems, comparisons are sometimes hard to make, because the actual reading on the volume dial is not really related to the speaker's actual output level (although you can relate volume level with sound pressure level yourself with a sound pressure level meter).

Beware of the difference between DTS and DD mixes. The latter have dialogue normalization, which will attenuate the sound by a certain amount (4 dB most of the time). You will need to compensate by this amount the listen at the same level as DTS, as DTS does not have this function.

8. 7 of 9

7 of 9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i put mine on minus 10 i find this a good enougth volume to fill my room

9. Glasswalker

Glasswalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The highest mine has crept up to is -52db, but thats only cos my system is upstairs in my bedroom and my parents complain about the noise. :(

10. Ramius

Ramius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Hi

Unfortunately, due to speaker sensitivity, room size etc, the volume reading on the receiver display gives no indication on exactly how loud it is- unless you've calibrated with VE or Avia.

Dolby Digital reference level- 105dB for the main channels and 115dB for the LFE.

So after you've calibrated correctly- measuring 75dB on the SPL meter using VE or 85dB using Avia (both methods equate to the same) then you know when listening at this level, you are listening at reference level. You may prefer to listen 5dB below ref or maybe 15dB below, whatever.

So 5dB below reference will be the same volume in every calibrated cinema, mine or yours.

I watch at around 5-8 below reference.

Cheers
    Boris

11. Whatts

Whatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I usually watch DVDs at -20 to -15 dB on my Denon 3802.
    My system is in a small room (4x4 metres) and the speakers are fairly sensitive (90 dB I think) so this is plenty loud...

- Tom -

12. paulsag

paulsag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got the Yamaha RXV 800RDS reciever, it ihas the matrix and enhanced 6.1 surround mode, theyare both fantastic, especially on the THX trailer on the Terminator 2 special edition. When the parents are out I fid myself watching dvds at -25db, at least as ou as my speaker can handle it. Oneof the best flms to listen to is the opening war scene insaving private ryan, it is absoltely lethal with thebullets fro the mahne guns panning round the room with complete aplomb, and mine explosions that shake the house. I just love. I just need a better sized room now which is dedicated to home cinema. my bedroom is bout 4.5M by 2.8M, with wardrobe, dras, pc adal so it all gets in the way.

Yamaha RXV 800RDS
    Toshiba 2109 dvd
    KEF Q35 fronts bi wired
    Tannoy MC centre
    Boston VRS Micro dipole rears
    KEF PSW 1000 subwoofer
    Van den Hul Cleartrack Bi - wire front cable
    IXOS super flat rear cable,
    Cable talk 2.1 centre cabe,
    QED QNECT VRS coax dvd cable

13. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I admit I do watch quite loud now, I used to like it at low but recenly with my hardware upgrades my Denon 1802 receiver is oftern at -30 or -25 on movies.

My system is calibrated to 75 db at 00.

I did just watch men in black at -20 and some of the scenes were loud and very impressive.

I could not imagine listening at full refrence, talk about bad for your hearing.

14. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Denon 11SR and it was mentioned in the HCC Review that the 00db is not reference level which was unusual for a THX Amplifier.

Does anyone know what the volume should sit at for this machine to experience reference level ?

Thanks

15. 7 of 9

7 of 9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i allways watch dvds at -10 i find this loud enougth to fill the room