What voltage?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by [email protected], Jan 14, 2002.

1. m@rk

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    As I didn't bother getting a chipped DVD player recently and I understand the Toshiba DVDs can't be hacked without chipping, the whole world of R1 disks is closed to me for now.

But I do go to the States quite a bit and have noticed that I can pick up a cheap DVD player (R1 of course) for less than $99 (about £65) and a Toshiba for about £100. For the odd R1 disk, this would be fine (I can stick it into the spare SCART).

Now the only electrical stuff I have bought in the states before has been PCs & Laptops which all come with auto switching power supplies.

Does anybody know if things like DVD players are auto switching (especially the Toshibas or Sonys) or if they just have a fixed 120V?

Thanks

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't know the answer but a transformer is not very expensive.

I used to have an American Pioneer 606 with transformer which worked well. You will not get scart sockets or RGB as they are not fitted to American players but the s-video output on mine performed well.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Most likely it will only work with 110V - have a Yamaha DVD-700 (R1) and it cannot cope nor can it be modified (well, it probably could but I guess it will be more expensive then a new player).

You can use a transformer but you also still could get your current player chipped, it does not need to be done during the purchase.
    Less equipment, less cables, less hassle ....