What viewing device are people using for playing their PS5 and why?

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Hello all,

I thought it would be interesting to have a thread where people can discuss what screen setup they have, why they have it that way and people can share any tips regarding settings etc. to help people optmise their PS5 gaming experience.

I'll start. I have both a Hisense 55 U8QFTUK 4K HDR TV and a LG 27 UL600 4K Vesa Certified DisplayHDR 400 monitor.

I have played my PS4 Pro on both screens but now that I do have a PS5, I have the PS4 Pro permanently connected to the Hisense and the PS5 connected to the monitor. If you browse this website/article => Vesa Certified DisplayHDR™ , you will see that the monitor can accept and HDR10 signal but it does not have the specs to truly and properly actually display HDR content. For this reason, I always have HDR off on the consoles when connected to the monitor. What it does give me though is a good screen size with 4K resolution at 60hz. The picture is extremely sharp with a pixel density of 163 PPI (pixels per inch). The monitor is also IPS so has very nice colours and has some overdrive technology to increase the GTG response time (I have mine set to Fast. Faster or Fastest produce overshoot/ghosting). I am very happy with this screen and the picture it produces and it was also quite a good price, £250 in January 2020. The TV has a 120hz refresh rate but only supports a 60hz input at 4K due to the HDMI 2.0 ports. This is not an issue for the PS4 Pro. The TV can also display HDR images very well therefore, for PS4 titles which have a good HDR implementation I will turn ON HDR on the console when playing those games. However, many PS4 games actually have a very poor attempted implementation of HDR and so for these games I will turn HDR OFF. Of course the TV is set to Game mode for the PS4 Pro HDMI input for minimal input lag.

You will notice that I do not have any HDMI 2.1 devices. Yes this means I am missing out on trying out games at 120hz. However, it does seem true that in many games which have a 120hz mode, other aspects of the graphical fidelity do get reduced. Obviously it could be said that I can't miss what I've never had, but for now, the performance of native (although sometimes still dynamic) 4K images at a solid/locked 60 fps with good graphical settings like Ray Tracing enabled, or at least enabled to some degree, is good enough for me. It should be noted that HDMI 2.1 should also allow HDR to come through from the PS5 to the display in RGB rather than 4:2:2 YUV which is what happens when the HDMI version is 2.0b.

Another thing to mention is that on my monitor I can change the HDMI black level between High and Low, therefore becasue I only play games on the PS5, I have the RGB range set to FULL in the Video output settings of ther PS5 and match the LG monitor to it with HDMI Black Level High. On the TV and the PS4 Pro I leave everything to Automatic.

What are others using and why? Do you prefer a monitor or a TV? Are you bothered about HDR? If you have a display which 'supports' HDR but can't actually display it properly/well, have you tried turning HDR OFF on your console to try and achieve a better, true SDR image?

I look forward to hearing about other people's setups :) .

Wing80surfer

55CX here. As to why - 'cos people on this good forum told me to :laugh:
It's the second TV I've bought in the in region of 8-9 years (previous was an LG47LM620T), which I was using just fine with PS3 & PS4. With the advent of 4k gaming with the PS5 though I knew it was time for an upgrade. I had very little knowledge at the time about what to look for in a new TV & was thinking of a budget of ~£700. A number of people here though suggested it might be better to put some extra onto the budget though & get the CX. I don't regret it in the slightest.

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
77CX here because it’s 2.1 ready, looks beautiful and games are super responsive.

mudshark

Distinguished Member
65CX, as above. Best TV I have ever owned.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
55BX, I couldn't buy a new TV for my ps5 without hdmi 2.1. Why on earth would you?
It's not just the 120fps stuff but the other things like vrr that's coming out for the PS5 soon and the awesome ability to play at 40fps without losing graphical fidelity.

iron_monkey

55 g1. Best TV i could afford and largest i could for in the space i have. Games look awesome on pc and ps5

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
LGCX frankly dont use the HDMI 2.1 features 120hz sounds great but not willing to play with reduced resolution to get 120hz so 4k60 is my preference. turned off VRR on series X because the gamma flickering was worse than the screen tearing its supposed to solve. And ALLM not needed as it just sits in game mode because that looks great on everything.

Overall great tv but in the end the HDMI 2.1 features not needed by me

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member

rb5201

55 inch Sony xf 9005. Happy with picture but am consistently asking myself how much better would a 65 inch oled c1 be?

doublebee

Novice Member
65 inch LG Nano 916, got it in a Currys sale earlier in the year. It's ok but regret not saving up a bit more and buying the C1, hopefully rectifying this at Xmas

Fade In

When I had mine I was using a 27" LG UltraGear 27GN88A monitor - IPS, 1440p, 144hz (so ran at 120hz on PS5 with compatible games), 1ms. As my PS5 was on my desk this seemed the best option rather than a large screen as I value the faster response times and refresh rates over large screen/4K.

Tall_Paul

Distinguished Member
55" Sony A80(84)J here, because OLED & 120hz = :love:

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
LG OLED77GX - Incredible bit of kit. Love it. Was an expensive bit of next gen box ticking pre PS5 launch, but worth every penny in my eyes. Even the wife has no arguments.

Last edited:

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
65 inch LG Nano 916, got it in a Currys sale earlier in the year. It's ok but regret not saving up a bit more and buying the C1, hopefully rectifying this at Xmas
As long as you run with HDR turned Off on the console you will get a great 4k SDR 60hz/120hz image so it's not all bad!

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
When I had mine I was using a 27" LG UltraGear 27GN88A monitor - IPS, 1440p, 144hz (so ran at 120hz on PS5 with compatible games), 1ms. As my PS5 was on my desk this seemed the best option rather than a large screen as I value the faster response times and refresh rates over large screen/4K.
So when the PS5 changed to 120hz mode, the resolution output would have dropped to 1080p. How did you find the upscaling of the monitor from 1080p to 1440p? When the PS5 was running in 60hz mode, was your monitor able to accept the 4K 60hz signal and downscale it to 1440p with no issues?

How come you no longer have the PS5? (I notice you started your comment with "When I had mine".)

winka45

55"LGCX. I play wirh 1080P HDR and highest frame rate.

I've tried a couple of games in 4k 60fps v 1080 120fps and can't see any noticeable difference in resolution from about 4 feet away.

There's a huge difference in frame rate though so decided to stick with that.

Tolq

Distinguished Member
Using an LG CX 65" most of the time, although with the evenings getting darker, it is a matter of time before I start using the projector more for gaming. Not FPS or other fast action though, I get crazy motion sickness watching first-person games in that size...

rb5201

Using an LG CX 65" most of the time, although with the evenings getting darker, it is a matter of time before I start using the projector more for gaming. Not FPS or other fast action though, I get crazy motion sickness watching first-person games in that size...
Sure it's the size of tv and not the game giving you motion sickness. I'm currently on a 55" and am looking at 65 next and this is a worry for me. There's a few games which give me motion sickness, not many thankfully. Not sure if a bigger screen would make it worse though?

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Sure it's the size of tv and not the game giving you motion sickness. I'm currently on a 55" and am looking at 65 next and this is a worry for me. There's a few games which give me motion sickness, not many thankfully. Not sure if a bigger screen would make it worse though?
Are you sure that perhaps it isn't motion blur that is giving you motion sickness? Or even film grain effect? You can usually turn both of these settings which can be found in the in-game settings, usually under the graphics section.

Turning off Film Grain and Motion Blur is the first thing I do in any game.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
55"LGCX. I play wirh 1080P HDR and highest frame rate.

I've tried a couple of games in 4k 60fps v 1080 120fps and can't see any noticeable difference in resolution from about 4 feet away.

There's a huge difference in frame rate though so decided to stick with that.
How on gods earth can you not see the difference between 1080p and 4k, especially at only 4ft away from the screen? It looks far softer.
I sit 4m away from my c8 and cold War at 4k 60 looks so much clearer than 1080p 120fps.
Thankfully I have a bx upstairs that I sit about 4ft away that does 4k 120fps. At that distance the higher res is impossible not to notice.
However I do wish a lot of these ps5 games had lower res, higher fps options. 1080p being the absolute lowest and 1440p being the sweetspot.

winka45

How on gods earth can you not see the difference between 1080p and 4k, especially at only 4ft away from the screen? It looks far softer.
I sit 4m away from my c8 and cold War at 4k 60 looks so much clearer than 1080p 120fps.
Thankfully I have a bx upstairs that I sit about 4ft away that does 4k 120fps. At that distance the higher res is impossible not to notice.
However I do wish a lot of these ps5 games had lower res, higher fps options. 1080p being the absolute lowest and 1440p being the sweetspot.
Dunno, maybe my eyes aren't what they once were. Tbh it probably 5-6 ft I sit and only ever tried assasins creed, dirt 5 and cold war in 4k and couldn't tell.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Dunno, maybe my eyes aren't what they once were. Tbh it probably 5-6 ft I sit and only ever tried assasins creed, dirt 5 and cold war in 4k and couldn't tell.
If you have a CX why not just play in 4K 120hz mode if you like the extra frames?

The native rendering resolution of the games drops to a dynamic value between 1080p and 1440p and then the PS5 upscales that to 4K, whilst still getting the 120fps. You do lose some other graphical fidelity features like you'll have decreased draw distance and no ray tracing etc. But it is a balance. You should have to manually set your console to 1080p to get 120hz on cod...

winka45

If you have a CX why not just play in 4K 120hz mode if you like the extra frames?

The native rendering resolution of the games drops to a dynamic value between 1080p and 1440p and then the PS5 upscales that to 4K, whilst still getting the 120fps. You do lose some other graphical fidelity features like you'll have decreased draw distance and no ray tracing etc. But it is a balance. You should have to manually set your console to 1080p to get 120hz on cod...
I wasn't aware you could, I thought it was a case of either or.

How do I set it to do this? Currently I just have it set to performance in the console settings.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky reveals content lineup for 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs now feature Apple TV+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett