1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Video December Issue Gives the Sony KDL-V32A12U a 5 Star Review

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by xrkt77, Oct 6, 2005.

1. xrkt77

xrkt77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    This months What Video has done a group test of the Sony KDL-V32A12U, the Sharp LC-32P50, Toshiba 32WL56P, Philips 32PF7520 & a DMTECH screen.

Not surprisingly the Sony wins with an overall 5 star rating, including 5 stars for picture

Overall Verdict "Super-stylish, futureproofed and with awesome performance. The Pick of this group test"

As What Video carry out more thorough tests i think the What Hifi article can be treated as a rogue review.

2. dbedgood

dbedgood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What did they say about the Toshiba? as I'm interested in getting one.

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Only goes to show just how flawed all these magazine reviews are. You can't seriously compare these models as like for like. The Sony is the latest and supposedly flagship of their range, the Toshiba is an old model, the Sharp is a completely different concept, and less said about the Philips and DMtech models the better.

If you want to review the Sony then do so against the Tosh WLT58, JVC LT32DS6, Sharp LC32GD7, Philips 32PF9830 and maybe the latest Samsung. Now if they did that I wonder how well the Sony will fair.

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Intersting point.

Was the 5 star review in its own right or in comparison with the other models as is often the case with these reviews. Effectively you have a top of the range model compared with mid range / lower end models.

Still none of the Sony owners think much of the magazine reviews so it won't make any difference anyway :devil:

5. xrkt77

xrkt77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Each one had a one page review.

Strange how they give the Sony such a glowing report on picture quality :thumbsup:

IMO at this present time both this Sony & the Panasonic TX32LXD500 produce an excellent picture

6. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Seems the magazines really are becoming a complete waste of money.

7. FreeviewFan

FreeviewFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another example: What Hi-Fi gave the Loewe Concept L32 5 stars and only criticised the picture for having a slight amount of picture noise. However this Home Cinema Choice review is slightly more critical, but based on the text alone I would trust the HCC review more than the WHF one.

As for Sony versus Panasonic, my local John Lewis store had the 32" Sony V-series next to the Panny 32LXD500 and the Sony Freeview picture was noticeably better than the Panasonic's (the Sony having slightly less blocking, though this could be due to tuner/aerial feed differences); whatever the pros and cons of these particular screens, based on my observations alone it seems that the latest Sony models are at least worthy competitors for the current Panasonic LCD range and the V-series certainly deserves a higher rating than the 3 stars that WHF gave the 32" model.

8. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My personal view is that the Sony beats the Panny, especially in blacks...
    Overal colour tone was (on standard settings) also a bit better on the Sony.

9. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  10. machinehead

machinehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    interesting point about out of date reviews,why are magazines so far behind the technology?.i was waiting for a review on the 37" 9830 from philips.i thought it would be in this months issues of at least one hi fi mag. even the toshiba 58 doesn't get a mention. from now on i am not going to buy another hi fi mag ever.you get 100 times more info when you come onto here,rather than reading a lot of old tosh from overpriced and overrated hi fi magazines.did what hifi not do a review on the toshiba 56 ages ago?.

11. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527

Personally I think you would be made to solely listen to the members on here or solely rely on magazines.

There should be four parts of the process really to consider:

the magazine reviews
    the forums

most importantly your own eyes

and then not forgetting the 'wife' :D

BUt you are right, all of the magazines are generally useless at getting the most up to date technology to review generally. Part of me thinks they stand in currys and review from there :D

12. chowells

chowells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simply because it takes a long time to write the words, send the words to layout, get it proofed, get any errors corrected, get it printed, get it sent around the country and finally to get it onto shelves. We're talking in units of months, not days or even weeks. When I was doing freelance work for a computer magazine it was usually 2 months or more before the words I wrote were printed, and that's how it is with all publishers.

13. machinehead

machinehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    why don't they go solely on the web then?.i'm quite sure that the majority of readers are web based.the technonlogy is now moving that fast any up to date stuff in magazines is lagging way behind the times.this will eventually be the downfall of most hifi related mags.time is running so fast these days it is impossible for paper material to be on the the same wavelength as the web.

14. xanderforce

xanderforce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just came here from the Sony V thread. Very interesting. I just wish there was something more we could do about it. Public forums like this are really great but I would also love to see a public additive database style structure given to brand new products. All the latest info, opinions, specs, tests, pics, comparisons, everything all in one place, always up to date. A new kind of reviewing system as it were. We could read and submit information on new products ourselves, the buying public. There could even be a built in dedicated forum and maybe even a chat room for example. I'm sure it would be successful.

Anyone else think this is a good idea?