what video capture card would i need

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by john92, Jan 21, 2004.

1. john92

john92

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello all

i am new to this game.

i want to know what video capture card would i need to buy to enable me to record sky satellite tv to my dvd rewriter that is in my pc.

any information would be most welcome.

from john92

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    What to get really depends on the quality you want and therefore how much you are willing to pay.

The best quality options is to get a DV bridge (£200) that will convert an analogue sifnal from Sky to DV which then connects to a DV port (£20 if not already on mobo). It is then just down to software to capture & burn to DVD.

The cheap option that will give ok, but not great quality is the Dazzle DVC 80 (£50) that connects to a USB2.0 port and include software. Other makes/models of capture devices are also available. Some people say these work well, but others have said the results are poor.

I've never used either so can not say how much better one is over the other.

Mark.

3. john92

john92

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers markE19

4. saggio

saggio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I currently use a Vidac VMagic hardware MPEG1/2 real-time encoder for this exact purpose. Its main advantage is the capture is already in DVD MPEG2 (or VCD MPEG1) format, and gives superb results. It ignores Macrovision so can even copy Box Office movies, or convert VHS to DVD. It is also a hardware transcoder so you can convert DVD .VOB files to VCD in less than real time.

A similar product I have been considering for another PC is Terratec Grabster 200 which is also a hardware MPEG encoder, but is USB2 not PCI, and lacks the transcoder function, but is on dabs.com for around £80.

The disadvantage of the DV bridge mentioned above is the time it takes to convert DV video to MPEG1/2 ready for disc creation.