1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What VGA card?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by paiger, Jun 7, 2003.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a semi-redundant PC in my office that I plan to use as a gaming PC/ music server/ DVD player. It has an Asus CUSL2 mobo with a cellery 900 CPU and Gforce2 MX graphics. I don't want to up the CPU as the board will only take a P3 1gig anyway so no point but I am thinking of maybe upping the VGA card.

Now I know the Xbox has a celly 733cpu and super graphics so my CPU should be OK. The question is, would a Radeon 9800 be wasted on this mobo/cpu combo? Will I notice a difference between that and say, a geforce FX5200.

What I'm asking is, will the motherboard not be able to make use of a top range VGA card and am I just as well buying a £50 one or will I still benefit from getting the best card out there?

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,242
    My knowledge on this topic is very limited but I am sure I have read somewhere, probably in PC Zone magazine that you need to have a pretty decent CPU for these higher end graphics cards otherwise you will get something called CPU bottleneck.

I am quite possibly completely wrong, so hopefully someone can back me up (or correct me completely!) on this.

Done a quick search on Yahoo and come up with a few answers. Try these links.

http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/board/message?board.id=pc&message.id=2521

http://forums.techguy.org/t127937/s93f378ea640bbea076f481f52588aead.html

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/articles/cpu_install_guide/index.shtml

Hope this helps.

Greg

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,228
    I know I got some silly effects when I put a Ge-Force3 card in with a AMD 500 cpu. My sound card stopped working correctly, but once I pit a 1600+ it work OK.

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    An Intel Celeron 900 will definately not be aided by a Radeon 9800.

You would simply remove the bottleneck of the graphics card and replace it with CPU/Memory. A P3 1 Gig would definately help out, as the Celeron is pretty poor for games due to it's reduced cache. I would say that the highest card you would want to put in there is a Geforce 4 Ti4200 maybe 4400.

How munch memory does it have? Some games that are coming out now really require 512megs at least.

You could make the PC to play games that were a little older or do not require high specs, but don't expect to really be able to play the new FPS's coming out :)

Do not confuse the PC with the X-Box, those are equivalent chips in it, but the whole architecture is a custom design, meaning that those chips are used to their maximum. Plus the X-Box doesn't have to run windoze!

5. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    either an ATI r8500/r9100 or a ti4200 is best for that rig in its current state.

If your planning on upgrading that rig anytime soon, then i would spend a lttile extra and get an ATI r9500pro, or an r9700non-pro.

6. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    A better GC is allways better, but you CPU will only put out so much.

Check out this page of a ATI raedon 9700 pro in CPU's ranging from 100 mhz to 3000 mhz.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030217/cpu_charts-23.html

A celleron 800 is getting over 6000 3d2001 marks, this shows that a decent card will help.

I think you best bet would be a Geforce 4 Ti 4200, you can get them at good prices.

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks guys, lots to think about.

My other concern is noise, I did have an Athlon 2100XP system but even with Zalman flower and quiet fans etc. it was noisy and put out masses of heat. I'm thinking of installing a Via C3 CPU into this board instead of the Celly. Needs no fan and according to TomsHardware is not bad for graphics.

Are there any other quiet solutions that I could think about? The PC won't be on all the time so it's not a huge problem but it will be used for games and watching DVD's so needs to be fairly restrained.

I think I'll go for the C3 and get an Asus Geforce FX board for £50 and then wait until Via bring out their P4 low power equivalent and upgrade the board and CPU then.

I know I'll suffer a bit for graphics bt I've been playing GTA3 on my current system quite happilly.

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Are you sure that wasn't due to a cheap PSU? Most people I know who complain about their system noise it is usually due to the PSU. Buy a nice Antec (which are fairly expensive) and it is nice and quiet. Or replace the fans in them.

Also you can buy padding (or mousemats to stick on the inside of the case, cheap).

9. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a QuietPC PSU which is virtually silent. The problem with the Athlon is that it put out so much heat that the PSU would quickly respond and run up to full speed to get rid of it. I sorted this by replacing the fan with a 12db Pabst one but the whole machine just got really hot and I was not comfortable leaving it on, unatended.

10. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    i would throw that via c3 option straight out of the window if i were you. i had one - the c3 933mhz to be exact. even when overclocked to 1.2ghz, it could bearly hold even with a celly-550mhz. I seriously suggest against that.

as for the psu issue - change the psu. right now my cpu is running at 2.2ghz. even with both my 400w q-tec's fans 7volt modded, it's still pumping out cold air..

Athlons dont throw out that much heat.

11. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, that's interesting. I had one of those coloured cases before and I'm wondering if that was the cause. It was made of very thick perspex type stuff. I have sold it now and am using an old alloy server case (wide and tall). I wonder if I would have heat problems in this one.

I wanted to go for a C3 because the fan on my CPU is so noisy. It's a molex one from Quiet PC and the PC goes very quiet if you stop it with your finger. I'm thinking it's knacked as the website says 22dB!

I reckon my plan will be to get a new fan, get a good VGA card and roll with that until I feel like upgrading to P4 or Athlon again.

12. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    the material of the case actually doesnt matter. They do have different thermal properties yes, but at theses temps youd be hard pushed to notice a 1c difference if the design of the cases were the same.

When people say that aluminium cases run cooler, usually they are correct. However, it's not because of the material they are made from. Generally, aluminium cases are just better designed.

as for the fan, you could either replace it with something like a vantec stealth or a panaflow L1a, or you could run it at 7volts instead of 12v. Your cpu temp will rise, but that will quieten it down.