Question What version of hdmi cable should i use for my projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by FishFish, Jun 26, 2015.

1. FishFish

FishFish
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to buy the Epson eh-tw7200 and i'd like to know which version of hdmi should i use... the projector supports Full HD 3D , so i assume the hdmi should be 1.4 and above, but which version will give me the most of it? Should i go for 2.0 maybe?

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,659
    Numbers dont apply to cables, they never have.

Thats just a marketing con.

The only valid markings a cable should have are standard speed or high speed.
    See here.
    HDMI :: Manufacturer :: Trademark and Logo

If you already have cables, chances are they will be fine, otherwise look for a cable that carries the genuine " high speed" logo, as in the link above!

3. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    A £2 HDMI high speed cable will send exactly the same Picture Quality as a £200 HDMI high speed cable.

4. FishFish

FishFish
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't buy a 200 pounds cable , never xD But you see there are some versions of Hdmi cables out there, 1.3-1.4-2.0
    My pc (and propably most of the gpus and video playing devices have hdmi 1.4... From the first answer i understand that "all hdmis" are the same... well, i have a 5 years old hdmi cable... I'm not that confident that it could deliver full hd 3D at 24p flawlesly :p

5. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    There are only cables that are incorrectly labelled .

Standard and high speed are genuinely the only ones anything else is marketing or ignorant bs

6. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Your cable will either deliver it or not , no flaws just a simple deliver or not deliver

7. FishFish

FishFish
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm gonna trust you there Aclass ;-) but i think that although hdmi is digital, the structure of the cable can affect the quality. You see, if you buy a 15m HDMI that costs 4 euros and if you buy a 25 euros one, and i you know that you don't really pay the brand or something, the more expensive one will propably deliver better... why? well, after a certain cable length, there is certain signal loss... my opinion is tha the very cheap one won't deliver that well due to it's cheap structure. Just to make something clear here :p I'm not that dude that will pay for all those overexpensive HDMI cables, I'm just that one that won't buy the cheapest one he finds :p I'll go just a tiny price range higher. Just because i want to be sure that the cable will deliver without problem and will last a little bit in time.

8. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Yes build quality may well be worth a few extra pounds but won't affect picture quality just longevity

9. cybergools

cybergools

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I bought a HDMI cable about 7 years ago at a cost of around £100 or so. This was buried in my floor, walls and ceiling so it can be connected to my projector . Now if i upgrade to 4K projector sometimes in the future are you saying I will not have to upgrade my cable (because that would require demolition work!)? I paid that price for the build quality probably around 15cm thick and 15m long
    cheers

10. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Not exactly what I am saying unfortunately

A cable based on the date purchased will likely be a standard speed cable and in addition as it's 15M even now you couldnt get a 15M High Speed Cable as the maximum length of a certified High Speed cable is 8M.

It is therefore possible that this cable will not work with 4K , though that may depend on the type of 4K you wish to send.

Sorry for the potentially bad news

11. Mo Better Blues

Mo Better Blues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,153
    The length of the HDMI cable has far more effect than a speed rating.
    As already said 8M is the maximum certified length that 'will' work.
    I myself have had very recent issues with cable length due to the purchase of an Epson LS10000.
    We needed a 12M cable which is when the length issue became a right royal pain.
    The dealer sent us 3 different cables, all of which we were told would work but did not, all described as 'high speed' or '4K' etc.
    Only when we were sent a Lindy 20M fibre optic HDMI cable did the issue get resolved.

12. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,659
    No cable longer than 8m will pass the high speed test.
    So if your planning for the new UHD players working at max bandwidth, which is 3840 x 2160 at 60 fps, and you need to go longer than 8m....then you need to look at extender kits.

2 x category cable extenders are lossless and the cheapest way to do the job, and work for most but not all depending upon equipment.

HDbaset is more costly but is the only way to get HDMI over a single category cable without degradation.

Then there are the optical kits, which I have no experience of but seems to be the most expensive solution out there!

HDbaset is standardised, and HDbaset lite versions are not too costly, so these would be the most recommended way to do the job.

Regardless of claims, no cable longer than 8m could possibly have passed the high speed test...so save yourself time...if you need longer, go for extenders!