1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What version of George Romero's 'DEAD' series is best?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by eros, Jul 20, 2000.

1. eros

eros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to get hold of the best versions of 'Night of the living dead' and 'Dawn of the dead' without cuts if possible, what are they and where can I get them.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best Night of The Living Dead I'd say is from Elite. Very clean transfer. This DVD is Region 0 and is available in the UK too from DVD Direct (exact same disc as the US version except PAL).

The best Dawn Of The Dead (for me) is the Director's Cut from Anchor Bay www.anchorbayent.com and is Region 0 NTSC). Unfortunately this version is a flipper. It's still a great disc, though. You'll have to buy this in The US/Canada. There is a UK version but it's cut.

Both titles have at least 3 releases so there's other versions to consider. But most Romero fans have went for the above.

What about Day Of The Dead? I have the Anchor Bay version. Region 0 NTSC uncut US/Canadian.

BTW. Have you seen Romero's Martin? It's just out on DVD and the picture is fab. You can get it delivered for around £12.50inc
    from www.dvdboxoffice.com

A Phased Plasma Rifle In A 40 Watt Range®

© 2000 Carol Vorderman™. All right reserved.

My DVDs

[This message has been edited by Gary (edited 01-08-2000).]

3. classic

classic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with Gary, 'Elite' version of 'Night' is V.good, but for a few $$ more, the Anchor Bay 30th ann. Ltd Ed. is good, and not as rare as the sellers would have you believe.
    the 2 'Dawn' anchor bay versions are excellent. If you can't get the 137min director's cut, the 128min 'theatrical'cut with the 'andy warhol' cover has most of the gore intact, but the police/boat scene has been 'trimmed' like other short versions, it doesn't make much sense, but you're not missing much!hth, email direct if it helps.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the directors cut of Dawn of the dead for sale if you are interested.Its the deleted US version,email me if you are interested

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard some rumours that Anchor Bay want to revisit Dawn of the Dead DVD in the near future.

About 8 different releases of Night Of the Living Dead exist in the US on DVD, everything from budget Macaday versions to Elite THX and AB LE versions.

6. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +959
    Anchor Bay are doing 2 disc specials of Dawn and Day next year, to include tons of extras.

Dawn may well include the Theatrical, Euro(Argento), and directors cuts all in the 1 package.

If you can wait, hold on, but the R2 does have an excellent commentary by Tom Savini that's worth the price of the disc alone IMHO.

------------------
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...