What VCR for playing VHS archive?

H

hangthedj

My old VCR has sadly died. Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement machine - I don't really need SVHS as it is only used for playing archived tapes and recording the odd cable program for friends?

Dave R

Standard Member
Panasonic's are generally well regarded, and they're one of the few companies that still make their own machines.

H

hangthedj

Seems to be varying opinions on whether to go for a JVC or a Panasonic. I am looking for reliability, good picture/sound quality and low, preferably zero, drive noise. Any suggestions? Am I asking too much from today's machines? I am tempted by JVC HRS 5965 EK is this any good?

T

trevor g

jvc 695 blinding picture given it is vhs top buy buy one

Kevo

If you want to a look ahead then chances are that you will eventually get a DVD recorder, in which case you will probably want to copy your tapes to DVD.
So go for one that has a TBC (Time Base Corrector) like one of the JVCs. Can make all the difference.

T

trevor g

second reply have got jvchrs7955 tbc digital 3d edge correck

V

Vladi

To Kevo:
Hi can you explain what TBC is and how will it be useful for a DVD Recoder?
Thank you.

By the way - considering I need a SCART connection and in the country I live in right now (Ukraine) Panasonic FJ730 does not have SCART, can anyone suggest some other VCR, of the same quality, that will have a SCART? I am considering JVC HR-S 5965 E - is it a good VCR (compared to the Panasonic one)?

Kevo

TBC - Time Base Corrector.

Will correct any timing errors or 'jitters' that you get with VHS tapes upon playback.

Overall a much more stable playback will result and likewise on the DVD recording.

V

Vladi

Thanks Kevo!
Maybe you can help me out with the second dilemma?

V

Vladi

Dear Kevo!
Do you know if JVC S5965 has TBC?
Is it a good model at all?

W

wiss

The S5965 does not have TBC, according to my reading of the manual.
You can download their VCR manuals, from JVC's site, if you fancy a read.
I'm also looking for a replacement for dying VCR and have landed on either 5965 or 7965, with the 7 being my current fav', but at a price.

V

Vladi

Hi Wiss!
What do you think about Panasonic FJ730, compared to the 5965?

hornydragon

Vladi the 730 has been replaced in the UK and Panny have reduced the range to 3 machines, 121 SVHS, 61, and 21 entry level model. Perhaps you should look at specs on some german sites

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more

Trending threads

Top Bottom