1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What upgrade to Arcam DIVA system?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by JeffX, Jun 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. JeffX

JeffX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My current system is
    Arcam CD82 CD player
    Arcam A85 amp
    Mission 782 speakers.

I have some money to spend (!) and would like to upgrade this system. I was thinking of upgrading my CD player to the CD192 (cost around £500 I think), or would I be better buying the Arcam P80 or P90 power amp (£420 and £550 respectively)...or something else? Should I consider other products?

I would really welcome any input. Perhaps I could stretch to both the CD upgrade and the power amp over the next year. Would that be worth it?

Cheers.

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It depends on what qualities you are trying to improve in your system.

Changing brands will change the “flavour” of the sound, but that does not necessarily mean it is better.

The speakers aren’t the “SE” version? Does the £500 include what you would get for selling the replaced component?

On the surface, I don’t think that changing the CD player will give you any significant improvement.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I would definitely add a power amp to your setup and biamplify your 782 which are relatively power hungry and would benefit from the extra control a power amp wouod offer, the P90 wouod be a good match.

As for the CD player, yes the CD192 is quite a bit better than the CD82 but I would leave this for later in favour of the power amp which will offer a bigger improvement.

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    The Arcam A22 & A32 have more highly regarded pre-amp sections than that within the A85 in audiophile circles I frequent, so it may be worth changing the A85 first before sending power amps into battle on a lesser quality pre-amp section of the A85. PS there is a fine example of a Arcam A32 for sale in the classfieds. Then consider a PA upgrade too.

Conside that you could probably get £350-400 for your A85, then start adding that to your budget.

5. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes, my prefered option. But I wouldn't dismiss the power amp on the A85 either. It will depend on what Jeff is trying to achieve from the upgrade.

Both alternative have merit and wouldn't be a waste.

6. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I would upgrade your amp to something along the lines of the A32 :D

7. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Harry fair points, I also recall the A22/A32s having more power than the A85 IIRC.

8. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would change the speaker myself. You get more improvements for your money with speakers than any other component. :)

9. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Assuming you don't wish to change the speakers then I would add a P90 power amp and bi-amp the system. You may well be surprised at the improvements :)

Another advantage of this approach is that if you have a friendly local dealer then you could probably try this at home first with a loan unit. Don't forget to remove the links connecting bass and treble on the speakers first though or you may do damage to the amplifiers.

HTH.

JOhn Dawson (Arcam)