What upgrade from Elex-R ..... Naim Nait XS2 or XS3 , Rega Elicit-R, or to alternatives with room correction ?

martinhenry

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, My Elex-R has improved my current system, however I wonder whether a further amplifier upgrade can improve the sound , particularly focussing on vocals, piano and saxophone ....I mainly play Jazz now ( with the occasional Pink Floyd session ! ). My local dealer has advised trying an upgrade to a Naim Nait XS2 or 3 , but I am unable to test these at present .... however for the second hand price of a XS2 would this be worth the gamble ?

Any suggestions welcome .....

Hi all, My Elex-R has improved my current system, however I wonder whether a further amplifier upgrade can improve the sound , particularly focussing on vocals, piano and saxophone ....I mainly play Jazz now ( with the occasional Pink Floyd session ! ). My local dealer has advised trying an upgrade to a Naim Nait XS2 or 3 , but I am unable to test these at present .... however for the second hand price of a XS2 would this be worth the gamble ?

Any suggestions welcome .....
Hi. What speakers are you running?

Spendor A6 ...... I am hoping they can be stretched a bit further than the Elex-R's can manage ......

Why not look at fixing the biggest problem with sound - the room. Look at trying out something with room correction - best upgrade I ever made to my amps.

Why not look at fixing the biggest problem with sound - the room. Look at trying out something with room correction - best upgrade I ever made to my amps.
I run an Elex R and this will be the next thing that I look at. Happy with it as a machine. I have a challenging room though.

I agree with your suggestion ....however as with most rooms there is limitations as to what can be done . The room is in the loft so is long ( 8m) and narrowish ( 3.5 m) , with gabled walls ( is that right ? ...anyway from 3ft up they angle towards each other to their apex ). Large roof trusses intrude .

The speakers are along the narrow wall , well away from the wall and side walls , which has tremendously improved the sound..... I am not sure much more can be done at present to this area ....

I may have misread your message slightly ..... are you suggesting room correction software ?

Don't understand your comment 'however as with most rooms there is limitations as to what can be done'. Have you tried any room correction systems in that environment?

There are dealers on here that will loan out Lyngdorf amps - with RoomPerfect - to trial, highly recommended.

I agree with your suggestion ....however as with most rooms there is limitations as to what can be done . The room is in the loft so is long ( 8m) and narrowish ( 3.5 m) , with gabled walls ( is that right ? ...anyway from 3ft up they angle towards each other to their apex ). Large roof trusses intrude .

The speakers are along the narrow wall , well away from the wall and side walls , which has tremendously improved the sound..... I am not sure much more can be done at present to this area ....
I think larkone and i are both referring to electronic room correction, as can be found in Lyngdorf amps or, more cheaply, in something like an Arcam SR250.
It's revelatory, apparently. For my next amp, not having it, will be a deal breaker.

I run an Elex R and this will be the next thing that I look at. Happy with it as a machine. I have a challenging room though.

I also like my Elex , however I am seeking the holy grail in Jazz systems ...that elusive perfect piano note pitch :( ....... I am now at an age where if I am ever going to find it it needs to be soon , and with the ability to consider an upgrade ( within reason) to achieve it ....:)

that is certainly something to consider ..... my twin brother has Linn system that has it I believe ....but that is a bit out of my price range :( ......

There are several systems around £2k and a couple well under.

Thank you for your suggestions and I will certainly research the software options .

As an alternative does anyone have an opinion re upgrading to a NaitXS 2 as suggested by my dealer .....?

I have a NaitXS2, and it does sound great. However, as above but maybe a bit simpler and cheaper, have you thought about implementing a Dirac Live room collection, something like Looking for a miniDSP DDRC-24 DSP module?

I have a NaitXS2, and it does sound great. However, as above but maybe a bit simpler and cheaper, have you thought about implementing a Dirac Live room collection, something like Looking for a miniDSP DDRC-24 DSP module?
No , but I will now ( research currently interrupted by spaniel demanding walk :)) ......this would require the signal to be switched to digital and back to analogue I believe .....As I play almost exclusively vinyl would this affect the sound though ?

I apologise if this is not an acceptable practice, but could I perhaps have an opinion from @Hixs, @Paul7777x, or @Ugg10, .....I have benefitted from your guidance concerning Rega and Spendor in the past ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom