1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What type of TV to choose?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bssbin01, Apr 13, 2004.

1. bssbin01

bssbin01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My dad has just told me that he is thinking about getting a new TV and that he would like me to reccomend him one. So ive been reading these forums and some other sites, and its not quite as easy as I would of hoped! Could anybody possibly give me some advice? :lease:

He said that he wants to spend around £1000, but i reckon that if i suggest one at around say £1300 that would be ok.

The first thing i need to decide on is what type. At first when i looked in this price bracket i was looking at a couple of toshiba's the 36ZD26B and 36ZP38B. These are normal 36" widescreens. Now ive read quite abit about some of problems with these sets and also the problems with other similar sets. Anybody know if these problems have been fixed yet?

Then i moved onto looking at rear projection and ive seen again a toshiba widescreen 42WT29B this time its 42" for around the same price. Now im guessing there has to be a catch with that :confused: I dont see why one of those is about the same price unless there not as good. Anybody got any comments about them?

So i talked to my dad last night and then he starts talking about getting a projector :suicide: So i set out again to look at projectors. And for around the same price it seems that he could get one but again would this be any better than a normal 36" widescreen. I assume it would be a bit awkward because it would have to be dark to use it. I also cant really see this being a true alternative to a TV.

If anybody could give me any pro's and con's of the above i would really appreciate it. Its a lot of money and i dont want him to regret it later.

oh yeah one more thing, does anyone have any experience with tvandvideodirect.com ? They seem to have good prices but i am worried that the aftersales service may not be good. How are they at dealing with returns and problems etc.

ok thats it..... i think :rolleyes:

no doubt ill think of something else as soon as i click submit

Thanks

2. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    My penny's worth would be............

A projector without a TV is not the best choice. Watching a 6ft+ picture is great for films but would be exhausting for day to day viewing. Viewing is best with all the lights out which is often impractical and for home theatre you may need to factor in a screen and an amp + speakers. You will be pushed to find a great projector within your budget too. If I had to go for a "budget" projector, I would audition the Sony HS20 @ c.£2000.

Rear projection TV would probably be a slightly better solution. No screen or amp to budget for. In my opinion though, I think you get many of the disadvantages of a projector (reduced picture quality to CRT, ambient light issue etc) and not the advantage of a projector's huge picture.

If your dad (and family) mainly watch films then maybe a projector or rear projection TV is the answer - more likely a CRT.

CRT - Decide if Freeview/analogue is important. Personally I would prefer Freeview but the choice of TVs is somewhat limited. I find Freeview far crisper than analogue but you can always buy an analogue TV and STBox.

Decide on the size of screen, sounds like 36" is suitable. Look at the TVs dimensions too - Sonys for example are big and heavy TV's for their screen size. Go to, say, What Video Widescreen Entertainment and look at all the reviews of 36" TV's and ideally go and audition them. Have a look here at AV forums for posts on potential problems but if the review is 5/5 you are unlikely to get a complete dog and you can always return it. Choose a reliable retailer - go buy. From experience I would buy from John Lewis or Electrical Discount UK but you could always take a chance with an unknown if the price is right.

I am currently looking for a 32". I had 2 Panasonic PD30's but couldn't get one that worked perfectly in my opinion so got my money back. I may try a 3rd one but am waiting to see JVC's new IDTV 32D40. Philips, Toshiba, Panasonic, Sony, Thompson and Loewe all make great TV's in your price range. Just a case of picking the one that suits best.

My considerations in rough priority are: Picture quality, analogue/IDTV, looks/size, sound, scarts/RGB, component input.

Hope that helps.

3. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would think twice before being put off your chosen set by complaints on the internet - you notice you rarely hear people saying they're happy with their set.

Having said that, I was put off getting a PD30 for that reason and ended up getting the ZD36P (which was the second most popular/criticised set at the time) and I'm delighted with it (though that may be due to the fact that the 36" Tosh was cheaper than the 32" Panny) ... ;)

4. bssbin01

bssbin01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments, i think i can definatly take a projector off the list.

Im not too sure that a rear projection would be a good choice because of the light issue.

Its mainly just the comments ive read about the 36" CRT's that put me off. But as SansSouci said people dont tend to make as much noise when they are happy.

Could anybody reccomend an internet company based on their returns service? The price really jumps if you look at a high street store!

What about tvandvideodirect.com ?

Thanks again.

5. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Don't discount (no pun intended!) John Lewis because it's a High Street store.

Although the internet prices look better, the JL 5 year free guarantee is worth at least £200 and their excellent returns policy gives peace of mind when making such an expensive purchase.

Good luck.

6. bssbin01

bssbin01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah ive actually this minute just been reading about their price promise and since tvandvideo have a store in wigan (im in merseyside) im gona go in and see what lewis's will offer me.

Thanks

7. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By shopping around I managed to get a whopping £600 off the Currys price on my TV! I had been trying to get them to price match but they pretty rudely refused me. I resolved never to go there again and went and bought from RGB in Ilford. http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/mainscreen.asp Good luck in your search.

EDIT: Taken me five minutes to get your joke Tight Git. Duh! :blush: