What type of tradesman is needed...?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dolph, Mar 17, 2006.

1. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Perhaps a slightly odd question....

Am buying a house soon and have decided that we want to reaarange the master bedroom a little bit - what I don't know is what type of tradesman is needed...

Not sure if "partition wall" is the correct term below - I mean a plasterboarded non supporting wall.

The work will involve knocking down a partition wall, removing a door and filling in the gap in a partition wall, putting a new door in a different partition wall.

All this will obviously need some new plastering to other walls and ceilings where a wall has been removed.

There's also likely to be some electrical work involved - will want at least one electricty point moving and am considering having spots installed in the ceiling throughout the room.

My question is - who will do this, do I need a builder, interior decorator, carpenter, bedroom designer, all of the above... Would rather contact one firm to do all the work (single point of contact).

It sounds like a lot of work but I'm not sure that it is - wondered if any of you experts out there could help...?!

TIA

dolph.

2. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    You will need a general builder and a plasterer (if the builder cannot do it).

You will also need a spark as there are new regulations about electrics in the home and they have to be certified.

3. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    You will nedd a multi trade and an electrician. :)

4. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    Phone a builder first, he may be able to do the lot or have someone he uses regularly to sub it out too.

It's only major changes to wiring that require a certificate to be issued so if it's only a minor job or was done "before" January if you what I mean, you might save yourself 80 quid for certificate to be issued.

5. da walrus

da walrus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry to be a killjoy, but this is precisely why the Government had to legislate and bring electrics within the Building Regulations. Get the job done properly - get a registered electrician in - who knows, the cost, if the electrical work is bodged could prove to be catastrophic.

6. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Proving I had the work done before January would prove troublesome as I didn't even own the house then...!!

Would never consdider doing a bodge job on electrics or gas...plumbing is another matter altogether though :thumbsup:

Thanks all - will contact some local builders for quotes, as posted, hopefully the builder will have a preffered leccy he can sub-contract to. Not sure if this is the most cost-effective way of doing it though..