1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What type of system?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Garysweb, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Garysweb

Garysweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First off, i dont know if i posted this in the right place..there is too many section to choose from :confused: , so if a moderator would like to kick it in the right direction that would be good.

Right....I have a PS2, Xbox, PC and am getting freeview in the next few days. Play a lot of dvd's on the ps2, music on the pc (pc has optical output...but is not all that close to tv)

I am wanting an audio system to use for the lot, but dont know where to start. Should i be looking a hifi seperates (would'nt need cd/tape decks) or home cinima type of thing.

Also my current pc speakers have a sub, whcih seems to make hell of a difference..it would be nice to av one :)

Now ere's the problem i dont have very much money to play with, or want to play with...so I wouldn't want to spend all that much.

So...any advice would be greatly apreciated
    Thanks in advance
    GW

2. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Welcome to the forums Gary :)

An approximate budget would narrow the choice of components down greatly...

Also, do you want a full surround setup etc...

3. Garysweb

Garysweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like i say i dont have much to play with cause i been spending quite heavily recently..so only about 200- 250 quid but as low as poss.

I am a fan of the whole surround sound thing, specialy as i watch quite a few dvd's.

Hope that helps...and u can help :)
    Thanks in advance
    GW

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=system_builder.htm
    £169.95 without DVD also look at the other budget amps/receivers availble for under £200 then add speakers, you will need 3 optical inputs but a good place to start (optical switchers are availble!!! If you find an amp with only one or 2)
    Also worth a look:
    http://www.petertyson.co.uk/offeronavr1603.shtml

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/offeronrxv340.shtml
    add some speakers and away you go mate!!!
    http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301580

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301837

5. Garysweb

Garysweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the links, looks like some good stuff on there..will have a proper look through in a min.

Just a quick question though....I am right in thinking that one of these av receiver jobbies will switch the video as well as the audio. e.g. i plug the ps2 into the back (sound &vid) and when i press the right button :) it will display the ps2 video and play the sound through the speakers. Bit long winded example there but you get me drift...you'll av to excuse me i am a bit of a newbie :lesson:

Thanks
    GW

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Garys yes they will, you are spot on.
    But very few swicth scart most do Composit (yellow freebie plug) and most will do S-video (not many at this price range tho and TV needs to accept S-video and PS2/Xbox will require special cables (available from game etc and online)

Denon is good for this though!
    Look up pioneer model as a couple will switch RGB scart 301 & 501 IIRC

7. Garysweb

Garysweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one, bye bye crappy scart switcher :)...hopefully. When you say composit do you mean the yellow plugs which are oftem with the red/white audio ones (like on ps2/xbox).

Dont think my tv supports s-video its a bit of a cheapo...pretty good picture quality mind.....it aint got an s-video thingy in the back anyway, that i can see.

Also...correct me if i am wrong..but optical is just audio right?...... So hows does that work with the video. I guess you need to have the optical an the video bit...bit how do you switch between, do you have to change video and audio independently or is it clever :)

Thanks for the help so far anyway
    Hope you understand what am blabbing on about up there :D

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    If you set XBOX to input 2 on amp then selecting input 2 will set picture and sound to Xbox, so they are that clever, Hows the search coming?

9. royster

royster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of possibly getting a Pioneer 501 and my tv has component which I want to connect directly to instead of going through the scart via the amp. I still wish for the digital audio to go to the amp but what would happen if I selected the digital audio on the amp, would I get what ever video is assigned to that channel on the amp or is it possible to just assign no video channel at all and just use the audio.
    Thanks for any help.