1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What type of player for a CRT monitor?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by markfraser, Sep 13, 2005.

1. markfraser

markfraser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for what me be a very basic question here but I'm very confused by all the HD talk regarding DVD players.

I have a loewe mimo 32 tv which I will not be changing for at least 2-3 years. I want to buy a new DVD player and receiver at the moment and I want to select them based on my current set-up - I have no desire to buy for a display I might buy in 3 yeas as I am happy to buy another player at that time. So, with my CRT display (which accepts component connection) is their any advantage in the new HD type technologies?

(I currently have a denon 2800 DVD player)

2. markfraser

markfraser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no takers?
    maybe I'm asking something really stupid, so let me put it another way -
    with my current TV, is it worth upgrading (in terms of picture quality) from the DVD 2800 to something like the Denon DVD 2910 or is all the new technology designed around HD compatible displays?

3. Mark F

Mark F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Basically you're in the same position as me. Your CRT tv doesn't have the required resolution to take advantage of High Def video (although, of course, High Def players are yet to be launched in the UK) or "upscaled" video. Also, it doesn't have a HDMI or DVI input. So, no point in upgrading to something like a DVD2910 as a component connection is the best connection you have on your tv.

I'll be waiting until High Def players have been launched and have come down to a reasonable price (not to mention waiting to see which of the two High Def formats prevails), at which point I'll be upgrading my DVD player and display to High Def models.

Hope that helps.

Mark

4. markfraser

markfraser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I went ahead and bought the Denon 2910 (an ex-dem one at a good price forced my hand!) and I'm pretty happy with it. I always intended to replace it when I buy a HD display and the whole HD DVD thing has settled down properly and prices and kit are good but I anticipate both of those events being about 3 years away so this is prefect until then. I don't think I could have run my creaking 2800 mkI until then. I am very happy with my purchase.

thanks for the reply though, I appreciate you taking the time - even if I did totaly ignore the advice!

(our usenames look like I'm just have conversation with myself here)