1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What type of HDD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by roystonb, Aug 29, 2005.

1. roystonb

roystonb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Just a quicky. What type of Hard Drive do DVR's have?

Are they the nornal PC type Hard Drive, and can one upgrade, say an 80gb to 210gb by replacing one from a PC.

Many thanks RoystonB :thumbsup:

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    I don't think anyone has ever upgraded the HDD in on of these machine as the firmware seems to limit the disc capacity, so even if you do get a 200GB drive working in an 80GB machine it will still only see 80GB of it.

3. riku

riku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are normally 3.5" IDE drives although with some firmware changes (eg drive errors don't matter that much to a DVR, not like to a PC).

It depends on the machine whether there is some "mating" between the recorder and the drive itself. I changed the 40G drive in my Humax PVR8000 to a 160G seagate one from the local PC shop with no problems. Lots of the other machines need some kind of service disk to register the new drive with the recorder though - there are some pages on the internet about it.

If you have a spare drive you can try it - if it works then you're in luck. The Humax had no problem with the new disk being much larger than the old one but there's always the chance that the firmware in the DVR will not recognize bigger disks.