What type of Graphics card interface?

jpok1000

Novice Member
Hi all! I am posting what might be an obvious answer to some people on here, however, I am wanting to update my desktop PC graphics card with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX1660 SUPER graphics card. But the issue is I am not sure if it will fit my existing PC/motherboard. The NVIDIA graphics card I am wanting to purchase fits a PCI-Express x16 interface however I am not sure if the interface in my PC is an Express x16 interface. I have attached an image of the PCI interface from my computer's motherboard to help. Any information & advice would be much apricated.

Attachments

• IMG_20220316_231026_edit_884100442216658.jpg
    IMG_20220316_231026_edit_884100442216658.jpg
    631.5 KB · Views: 31

John7

Have a look at the user manual for the MoBo. It will detail the exact interface type in the specification section.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
What's the mobo? (make and model )
even if it's a PCIe x8 slot the GPU will still work just fine , you may loose a few FPS in games but nothing to worry about.

jpok1000

Novice Member
Thanks for that guys... I pretty much think I know it will fit the existing card slot on my MoBo. However I'm still not sure if I will need a spare six pin power cable on my MoBo in order to power the new graphics card. Or will the existing card slot on my MoBo power it alone?

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that guys... I pretty much think I know it will fit the existing card slot on my MoBo. However I'm still not sure if I will need a spare six pin power cable on my MoBo in order to power the new graphics card. Or will the existing card slot on my MoBo power it alone?
The power will come from the PSU (power supply unit)

ArmitageShanks

The additional power needs to come from the power supply, not the mobo. I'm guessing from looking at that picture that you'll have a non-modular PSU with a bunch of power connectors coming out of it - one or two of them will be PCI-E 8-pin connectors. The connectors typically have a split in them that allows two of the pins to be uncoupled from the other 6, leaving you with a 6-pin connector you attach to the card.

richardb70

Distinguished Member
As @sykotik said earlier, can you post the make/model of your motherboard?

sykotik

Distinguished Member
If this is right mobo HP is showing me
Then the PCIe slot is a PCIe 3 x16
Then all is well 👍
Screenshot_20220317-153642_Chrome.jpg

jpok1000

Novice Member
If this is right mobo HP is showing me
Then the PCIe slot is a PCIe 3 x16
Then all is well 👍
View attachment 1669344
Yes, I'm pretty sure it's the correct motherboard. However, I think I might have to update my PSU as it doesn't have a spare eight or six-pin power lead coming from it. To be honest I'm very tempted just to update my entire PC to something with more ports, better graphics card & more around power.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
What cpu is in the pc ?
( not sure! download CPUz)
Will tell you the cpu and how much ram is in and what speed it is running at )

jpok1000

Novice Member
What cpu is in the pc ?
( not sure! download CPUz)
Will tell you the cpu and how much ram is in and what speed it is running at )

Intel Core i5-10400F 2.90GHz​

sykotik

Distinguished Member
What resolution are you wanting to play games at ?
That cpu and the 1660 super will be just fine at 1080p
Spend a few quid on a psu, 650w will be more than enough.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom