What type of connection is this on Denon POA-5200 Dual Power Amplifier?

m24rink

Standard Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to hook-up my Denon POA-5200 dual power amplifier to my Denon AVR-X4100W receiver using the remote on/off switch so the amplifier will turn on automatically with the receiver but I can’t figure out what plug type I need for the back of the amplifier. I looked in the manual and it says to use the cable supplied with it but this unit was my dads originally so I don’t have that cable. Can anyone tell me what plug/cable type I need? I know I need a 3.5mm male plug for the receiver side but I just can’t figure out the amplifier side. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 161BCE0B-C188-4343-A7AC-6E35E34A5F13.jpeg
    161BCE0B-C188-4343-A7AC-6E35E34A5F13.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 224
  • DFBBDD9A-E2C7-4FD6-A4CE-D6ED2CCAC567.jpeg
    DFBBDD9A-E2C7-4FD6-A4CE-D6ED2CCAC567.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 253
Hi

Have a look on Google for a 3.5mm Mono Male to Female Extension Cable.

So just tried the female 3.5 mm plug in the back of my denon POA-5200 and unfortunately it doesn’t fit. It’s too large to fit in the hole. Back to the drawing board I guess

So just tried the female 3.5 mm plug in the back of my denon POA-5200 and unfortunately it doesn’t fit. It’s too large to fit in the hole. Back to the drawing board I guess

Apologies for the duff information as that's a bit frustrating. Denon must have used some odd cable connection.

I wonder if it's worth emailing Denon themselves and asking what it is?

Another option would be to make your own cable or adapting one. This site has lots of cable connectors and adaptors so might be worth having a look through.

Apologies for the duff information as that's a bit frustrating. Denon must have used some odd cable connection.

I wonder if it's worth emailing Denon themselves and asking what it is?
No worries, I appreciate you trying to help. I did reach out to Denon but even they can’t seem to give me an answer, at least not yet. 😂. They told me that the company was split at some point in the past and that they don’t really have that data anymore or something along those lines. I’ve spoken to 3 different people at Denon and so far no one has been able to answer this 🤦‍♂️ I guess I just need to figure out a different solution to the problem of getting it to turn on at the same time as my receiver.

Another option would be to make your own cable or adapting one. This site has lots of cable connectors and adaptors so might be worth having a look through.

Yeah I guess I could go through the whole trial-and-error process and see if I can make something work. Thanks again!

Possibly designed for a DC jack like a laptop PSU connector as @Jase has linked to. The visible pin would go inside the jack for one connection & there should be some kind of sprung connection around the diameter of the hole. If that is present then you will need a cable with a DC jack at one end & 3.5mm mono at the other.

The complications are that you'll need to know the outer & inner diameter of the DC plug together with ideally, the barrel length. Then there's the correct polarity.

Most common are 5.5mm outer with either a 2.1mm or 2.5mm inner. If you have the traditional box of old AC adapters, you could try a few & see if you can work out the size from there, obviously with nothing plugged in! The difficulty is that a 2.5mm will fit over a 2.1mm pin but won't make proper contact, so you really need to try a 2.1mm as well. If that's too small then you know the 2.5mm is correct. You can then probably order the parts cheaply from Ebay, &/or cannibalise what you already have.

Last edited:
No worries, I appreciate you trying to help. I did reach out to Denon but even they can’t seem to give me an answer, at least not yet. 😂. They told me that the company was split at some point in the past and that they don’t really have that data anymore or something along those lines. I’ve spoken to 3 different people at Denon and so far no one has been able to answer this 🤦‍♂️ I guess I just need to figure out a different solution to the problem of getting it to turn on at the same time as my receiver.

Another solution could be one of those remote power strips/extensions. I think they either turn on remotely or switch sockets on when something else connected to it is powered up.

Not used one myself though.

Last edited:
Had a dig & found a service manual for a similar model. The original cable is part no. 2034442001 & is indeed a DC jack each end with a short barrel. Obviously the compatible Denon pre-amp usedthe same connector. Unfortunately it doesn't say what size & is long discontinued. The manual also only refers to this as "low voltage" but doesn't specifically reference the 12V trigger standard, so it's entirely possible that the whole thing is proprietary & the two devices incompatible.

1631696938844.png

Unless you can get confirmation of the voltage & polarity used, @Jase's suggestion of the remote power plug seems safest.

Last edited:
Had a thought about whether the pre-amp manual would shed any more light. Here's a snip from the PRA-S10 pre-amp, which is referenced as being compatible. It shows the voltage as 11.7V, so we at least know the trigger from your AVR should be compatible.

1631784034834.png

Thanks for both of your ideas and help. I really appreciate the help. Denon got back to me via email recently and said that the cable used in the amp was a proprietary cable that they no longer have anymore and that they are going to escalate my issue up to their senior support level. I don’t know if they will be able to do anything for me but if this doesn’t pan out I’ll definitely try some of your suggestions here.

So I think I’m just going to purchase this and keep it simple. It’s only $15 so a relatively cheap fix. I’ll plug my receiver into the control outlet on it and my amp into one of the switched outlets. Thanks again for everyone’s suggestions.

Bits Limited SCG-3MVR Smart Strip Advanced Power Strip, 7-Outlets, Surge Protector, 15A, 4ft. Cable, Pack of 1
Amazon product ASIN B000P1QJXQ

I Use a POAT10 (Europe version of the power amp), with an 8500. The end that goes at the power amp is

The 12v trigger plugs are 2.1mm x 5.5mm Jack Connector,​

I bought a few and cut the end off a 3.5mm mono jack lead and soldered it up, but am pretty sure you can buy a made up lead. The connection is tip to tip at each end.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom