1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What type of connection is the small rectangle one with 2 rows of holes on back pj

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by brad123, Feb 26, 2002.

1. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    On my panasonic I have a connection (is it a vga) its 2 rows of holes inside it and is rectangle in shape with a slight angle at the sides.

I have the same at the back of my ondigital box, can i connect these togather (what lead do i need) and will it be a better picture quality then s video when watching sky programmes.

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Thats the VGA socket, no you cannot connect it to your digi box!
    It's only for connecting a HTPC (Home Theatre personal computer) or a dvd player with vga out, like on the Nintaus.

3. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    well why does my ondigital box have the same connection then. Surely its to connect to something. Its the Pioneer on digital box.

4. larsan

larsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't the VGA (HD-15) have three rows of holes?
    All mine do...

I would suggest that it is a RS-232 port...

/David

5. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    its the RGB Input and yes it is 3 rows of lines. My ondigital has the same connection which I presume is RGB so can I connect them both. Im sure my setup menu has an RGB option in the signal section on my ondigital box.

The connection at the back of the ondigital box is laballed seriel.

Can this be done.

6. larsan

larsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That I do not know...

7. void

void

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please ignore this post

8. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    No the port is labelled "seriel" on the pioneer ondigital box and its RGB on the Panasonic PTAE100 projector.

9. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    From memory, I believe the VGA port on the AE100E is a 15-way High Density D-type connector.

But I believe the connector on the back of the digiox is a 9-way RS-232 D-type serial connector for use possibly for technical purposes. Similar to having a telnet session with the box. Not a video output!!

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

10. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Yep! It's a RS232 connector that's on the back of the digibox. Nowt to do with picture at all.
    The worlds most under used connection (imo).
    Has anyone ever seen one of these being used on their digibox or any other box that has one?

11. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have a Telewest Cable TV Box (PACE), Im not exactly sure what the RS232 was designed for but I do know you can control the thing from it...

I chatted to some guy about a year ago who programmed his to change channels from his PC connected via a serial lead.

James

12. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The RS232 port is most often used to connect bits of test gear that "talk" to the electronics inside the box. Seleco use is on the Sim2 projectors to update the software. The satellite companies do something similar. Its a quick and convenient way of changing software without opening the case and removing chips.

Higher up the food chain some of the better processors, projectors and the like also allow control commands via RS232. This is basically a wired remote control method with two way communication. It means you can change inputs or settings and have the device you are controlling confirm that it has carried out the instruction. Top end touch screen remote control systems from Crestron, AMX/Panja etc use RS232 in preference to the less reliable InfraRed.

Your PC also uses RS232. Most laptops and desk top PCs have this socket type. Prontos & RC5000s use an RS232 connection for programming the remote from the PC.

Regards