• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What type of AV amp do I need? Advice pls.

bri160356

Standard Member
Hi Guys, I’ve recently revamped my conservatory and would like to integrate my hi-fi kit (Denon CD/MP3 player, Sony FM receiver, Sony amp & Mission M35 speakers) and TV so I can use my Mission speakers when watching TV then switch back to hi-fi as and when required.
The TV is 40” LCD Samsung and is connected to SKY+HD 1TB (DRX895) box via HDMI cable and also a normal Freeview external TV aerial. I don’t not want to connect any extra speakers –rear, centre, sub-woofer et al – to my potential new set-up; just my original Mission hi-fi speakers.
Not having purchased AV equipment for a while I am a little bamboozled as to how (and if !) I can connect everything together so I can listen to my original Denon CD player etc and hopefully enhance the sound while watching SKY+HD TV through my Mission speakers.
I guess I need to purchase an AV amp (?) which would replace my old Sony amp; but which type will I need to buy?? The amp would need to be remote controlled as I am now very old!
I have a budget of £200’ish and would greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions that you wonderfully knowledgeable people could offer me.
Many thanks in advance.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
TBH, I would stick with what you have got. You would gain very little by adding a budget AV Receiver (AV Amp with a radio tuner). I would just connect the Sky+HD box to the Sony amp using a decent phono cable.

bri160356

Standard Member
Many thanks for your help (and the cash saved!!) ; the TV and SKY box both have the outputs you suggested so I'll try both and see which suits best.
Regards

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom