Quantcast

What TV

TomJohn

Standard Member
I have about £550 to spend on my first flat screen. I will have Sky HD and Blue Ray plus XBOX to use on it. I also like sports and have read about some TVs not so good with fast moving sports images. I'm thinking 37-42 inch screen. Anyone any suggestions?

J

mjbtin

I have about £550 to spend on my first flat screen. I will have Sky HD and Blue Ray plus XBOX to use on it. I also like sports and have read about some TVs not so good with fast moving sports images. I'm thinking 37-42 inch screen. Anyone any suggestions?

J
Whats your viewing distance?
Room conditions bright/dim?
Do you want a 3Dtv?

Regards Martin

fatmarley

Banned
When I was looking at tvs about a year ago, I asked here and on other forums for advice. I also looked at tvs in the shops (waste of time) and read all the online reviews.

To my eyes the LCD/LED tvs looked brighter, more colourful and more detailed than any of the plasmas, so I bought one - Big mistake ! I found the judder and motion blur really annoying.
In the end I bought an LG 50PK590 plasma and a year later I still love my tv. If I had a bright room, i'd still get the plasma and some curtains, blinds or whatever to make it darker. If I couldn't make the room darker, i'd still get a plasma because I can't stand LCD...

Last edited:

fatmarley

Banned
My girlfriends sister just bought one of these: Click

I've only seen cartoons on it, but from what i've seen it looks great.

Oh, and when I was asking about plasma tvs the large majority were saying "get a Panasonic" After loads of google searching I found a couple of guys that had moved from pany to the LG PK590, and they prefered the LG.

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member

TomJohn

Standard Member
Whats your viewing distance?
Room conditions bright/dim?
Do you want a 3Dtv?

Regards Martin
Thanks for your reply.
Viewing distance about 9ft, the sun doesn't shine on the windows of the room, I have no plans to get Sky 3D or a 3D DVD player. I'm not a big fan of 3D at the cinema and haven't seen anything on Sky 3D.

J

TomJohn

Standard Member
When I was looking at tvs about a year ago, I asked here and on other forums for advice. I also looked at tvs in the shops (waste of time) and read all the online reviews.

To my eyes the LCD/LED tvs looked brighter, more colourful and more detailed than any of the plasmas, so I bought one - Big mistake ! I found the judder and motion blur really annoying.
In the end I bought an LG 50PK590 plasma and a year later I still love my tv. If I had a bright room, i'd still get the plasma and some curtains, blinds or whatever to make it darker. If I couldn't make the room darker, i'd still get a plasma because I can't stand LCD...
Thanks.
I would be concerned about judder and motion blur. I've seen a few football matches when in Currys and I've seen the problem with motion blur. There aren't many choices of plasma at 40-42 inch but maybe thats a good thing, make it easier to choose. What numbers should I be looking for in a plasma screen, 600mhz seems good.

J

fatmarley

Banned
Thanks.
I would be concerned about judder and motion blur. I've seen a few football matches when in Currys and I've seen the problem with motion blur. There aren't many choices of plasma at 40-42 inch but maybe thats a good thing, make it easier to choose. What numbers should I be looking for in a plasma screen, 600mhz seems good.

J
I'd probably go for Vicksters choice to be honest. That 5 year guarantee would be nice (assuming it's worth the paper it's written on) and it's full HD - Not sure how much difference that makes in reality though.

vickster

Distinguished Member
JL warranty is pretty good - do a search for positive outcomes

My parents had their LCD fixed at 3 years old, no hassles

mjbtin

Top Bottom