What TV would have minimal Motion jerking every 3-5 seconds (not judder or stutter). And what is this jerking?

moonslice

Novice Member
My Sony x950G (X950H firmware) has a jerk of the picture about every 3-5 seconds on some recorded shows; like it misses showing some frames - especially older shows on netflix etc. I have Smooth Motion on high.

I used to think that was “judder” but after watching videos on youtube I see that both stutter and judder happen in less than a second.

The 4 second jerk gets worse when CineMotion is also on.

I wonder if it’s related to processor not being able to handle the high processing required for smooth motion and CineMotion? 12 years ago I tried a Samsung TV and it was horrible for the jerking IF I had Smooth Motion on, but no jerking if Smooth Motion was off.

What is the best non OLED TV to buy with no jerking? I always want SmoothMotion to be high
I don’t mind some Soap Opera Effect

Dodgexander

I think what I said previously still stands in you're older thread:

I've heard from people that Samsung TVs have the best interpolation...maybe now Hisense aren't too far behind.

I do worry though, because Sony have probably the best overall motion of any manufacturer, so not sure you'll be taking some steps backwards in other areas of motion going from a Sony to a Samsung.

Sometimes the fault can be with the show itself btw, you won't believe how many shoddy masters there are out there. Especially if it involves frame rate conversion/deinterlacing as it often does with older content.

moonslice

Novice Member
I think what I said previously still stands in you're older thread:

I've heard from people that Samsung TVs have the best interpolation...maybe now Hisense aren't too far behind.

I do worry though, because Sony have probably the best overall motion of any manufacturer, so not sure you'll be taking some steps backwards in other areas of motion going from a Sony to a Samsung.

Sometimes the fault can be with the show itself btw, you won't believe how many shoddy masters there are out there. Especially if it involves frame rate conversion/deinterlacing as it often does with older content.
Thank you very much!

I'm thinking based on what you said that if I'm fine with SOE that I probably would like the Samsung better regarding stutter and judder jerking? Or is there something else that Sony does better (other than minimize SOE better) than the other brands?

Dodgexander

Samsung TVs tend to suffer from microstutter which are intermittent speedups/slowdowns. Motion is very subjective though, so you may not even find this problem. Sony tend to have less 'mistakes' like this, but they are not perfect.

A lot of it is just the source, and unfixable.

Zombie Twin

As Mr Dodgexander will tell you, Panasonic OLEDs are noted for having micro-related issues, but I think I have only seen it happen once in over a year of owning a GZ950. I watch in a pitch-black room, so dark that you honestly expect to run into some gentlemen with their willies out.

I'm rather obsessive about the image on a TV, but I am happy with the Panny - once the Intelligent Frame Creation has had 'Film Smooth' set to "1".

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom