What TV to replace my FHD grandpa?

IHaveNoIdea897

Novice Member
Hi,
I believe that I have already asked this a half or even a year ago, but I have become Unempolyed so I didn´t buy anything.
Curious what you would recommend me now.

Which external devices do you plan to connect to the TV?

• A soundbar
    • Either a Soundbar or gonna buy a 2/3.1 system
  • Amazon Fire Stick 4k?
    • yes
  • UHD Blu-Ray Player?
    • most likely
  • HD Blu-Ray Player?
    • yes
  • Games console
    • PS4 Pro, Switch, PS3... will add PS5 when they are available
  • A computer
    • RX 580
What content will you watch on the TV?

• What streaming services do you plan to use?
    • Netflix, amazon, disney
      • If so, which apps?
        • ?
  • Broadcast TV
    • mostly as background noise...
SD90%
HD10%
UHD0%
  • FHD Blu-Rays?
    • yes
  • UHD Blu-Rays?
    • most likely
  • Gaming?
    • If so, HD, UHD/HDR gaming?
    • Don´t know since I only have FHD atm
  • What proportion of your total viewing will be content in SD, HD or UHD?
    • just an estimation...
SD00%
HD80%
UHD20%
  • What proportion of your viewing will be broadcast TV shows, broadcast sport, broadcast movies, streaming TV/movies, DVDs, FHD Blu-Rays, UHD Blu-Rays or games?
Broadcast TV shows10%
Broadcast Sport0%
Broadcast Movies5%
Streaming TV shows or Movies15%
DVDs0
HD Blu-Rays35%
UHD Blu-Rays10%
Games20%

Will you use internal or external apps or tuners for the following? If external, via which device?

• Broadcast TV
    • don´t care
  • Streaming services
    • don´t care
  • Catch up apps
    • ?
Situational questions:

• What TV are you currently using and what are expecting to see upgrading to a new TV?
    • FHD 42", expecting better and bigger picture
  • Are you a tweaker or set and forget kind of person?
    • tweaker
  • What is your viewing distance?
    • currently 3m for Movies and Shows I actually want to wantch and ~1,5m for background noise shows
  • If you place yourself in the position of your TV facing towards where you watch, at what angle from the centre is each integral seating position? (Tip, use a protractor to measure angles).
    • urgh, I just move the angle of my TV when I am properly watching vs background noise ...~10°
  • When will you use the TV and what kind of lighting will be in your room? Some examples:
    • Bright conditions during the day.
      • I only have blinds, so some level of light is always there.
    • Dark conditions during the day.
      • I only have blinds, so some level of light is always there.
    • Dark movie nights in the evening.
      • yes
    • Always use a lamp or light in the room, even in the evening.
      • Nope
  • Would your usage of an OLED TV put you at risk of permanent burn in? Please read: OLED Burn In Risk
    • they are too expensive anyway
  • Do you need any legacy connections like composite or component?
    • just buy Adapters?
  • If using planning to use an internal tuner will you use satellite or free to air?
    • DVBTS2

Please rearrange the following, in descending importance:

1. Blacks
  2. SDR Picture quality
  3. Cost
  4. HDR Picture quality. See: What is HDR?.... I hope that I can make use of it.
  5. Picture accuracy out of the box (without pro calibration)
  6. Sound
  7. Viewing angles, dunno
  8. Shadow detail.... what´s that?

9. Value, dunno
  10. Smart TV ease of use, dunno
  11. Smart TV app selection, dunno
Now for bugs, tell us your possible pet hates related to TVs, in descending order:
....I have no idea....
I really dislike it when Black does not look like black and when in movies the colors are... propagating further away than they should???? As if there is an visible line where the color is changed but still visible. I have no idea how to word it.
  1. Motion blur
  2. Motion judder with 24hz movies/TV shows. See: Judder-Free 24p on TVs
  3. Motion stutter
  4. Bad screen uniformity, Dirty Screen Effect, Clouding, Light Bleed, Blooming, Vignetting, Haloing
  5. Loss of detail in dark areas or crushed blacks.
  6. Raised blacks
  7. Reflective screens
  8. Colour banding. See: Gradients on TVs: Color bit depth (warning this is not the same as vertical banding, for vertical banding see bad screen uniformity).
  9. Slow smart TV

Any extra notes you'd like to add/questions not covered here?

My budget is around 800-1000€. I am not sure with what size I should go, but I guess with 3meters it should be safe to go with 65". Although, that adds to the price compared to 55".
I guess that I can expect FALD in this price category...
I guess waiting until Spring will not be very useful considering that the new 2021 models are apparently not that good compared to the 2020s?
I also watch quite a lot of Anime.

What I have found are those:
TV comparision
-> Which means that the Hisense U8QF and Sony XH90 should be my best bet for 900€ and 1000€ in 65"? The 65UQ7F would be available for 700€. Are the 200€ more worth it for the U8?
Or would there be any reason to only take 55"?

Dodgexander

Provided you're okay with narrow viewing angles then the Hisense U8Q is the best you can buy with a limited budget. It's a 2020 model, so is priced decently at the moment.

Yes, it's worth the extra over the U7Q.

The Sony XH90 isn't a bad choice either, but falls short with brightness compared to the U8Q. Its more similar to the U7Q, but with better motion.

Dodgexander

Better motion is mostly for sports and fast games?
Not necessarily, just all-round better motion. Hisense has a red blur issue that can sometimes effect people's faces. It is however a much better TV with HDR than the XH90 as it gets a lot brighter.

IHaveNoIdea897

Novice Member
hmm how visible/often does this face issue appear?

65" should be pretty much the perfect size for my viewing distance + price range? I guess going smaller with a better quality is not advised?

What do you think about the prices? I know that 2 weeks before BF an din Spring the prices should go down. But this is an 2020 model, is it expected that this happens to this one too?
When I am looking at other TVs such as the Sony XH or XG then price is more or less stable or even goes up.

gibbletts

You have blacks as a priority and watching in a darkened room at night I'd only go with an oled, even with fald you get grey bars in a darkened room, I have an xg9505 and an oled cx and the difference is massive in a dark room, that's my own experience anyway maybe it helps you decide.

Dodgexander

hmm how visible/often does this face issue appear?

65" should be pretty much the perfect size for my viewing distance + price range? I guess going smaller with a better quality is not advised?

What do you think about the prices? I know that 2 weeks before BF an din Spring the prices should go down. But this is an 2020 model, is it expected that this happens to this one too?
When I am looking at other TVs such as the Sony XH or XG then price is more or less stable or even goes up.
It can appear multiple times in a film, depending on the film. In darker scenes and scenes with red tones. Some people are bothered by it more than others.
The problem is you're comparing it to a TV that isn't really true HDR, so with the Sony XH90 you are basically buying into something that isn't bright enough to display HDR properly anyway, even if it doesn't share this issue.

So it comes down to your priorities and use case, if you're happy with a dim HDR picture and the SDR version looking better than HDR sometimes the Sony is fine. If you want something that will play back content and wow you more with HDR, the Hisense is better (if you can live with the issue).

These are both 2020 models so have already been on the shelf over a year. I'd expect black friday to have discounts on 2021 stock which usually means deals aren't going to be as good as they are now on older stock.

IHaveNoIdea897

Novice Member
Hi sorry, I was basically already set on getting the U8..

How much does the TV size/viewing distance play into the viewing experience?
Because the LG B19 is currently available for 900€ @ 55".

Dodgexander

It plays a big part:

Dodgexander

thanks...
yeah me again..

What do you think about Samsung QN85A for 1000 or QN90A for 1050€?
Compared to the Hisense?
You have to be careful with Samsung models, since some are using an IPS type panel (ADS). If you go for a model like the QN95A (or QN94A/QN93A etc) it should be a lot more polished all-round than compared to the Hisense U8Q...but I'm not sure its worth downsizing for that.
If you pick a Samsung like the ones above that may be using an IPS type panel, overall they are worse than the Hisense, and are suited more for people searching for a TV with wider viewing angles.
All to do with your own priorities.

IHaveNoIdea897

Novice Member
Do you mean with downsizing the quality or the size?
Both of them are 65".

But when I understand your Link correctly then both of them shold have IPS, so most likely a downgrade for me.

Dodgexander

Do you mean with downsizing the quality or the size?
Both of them are 65".

But when I understand your Link correctly then both of them shold have IPS, so most likely a downgrade for me.
You will want the QN9xA models where X is any digit apart from 0 to compare like for like with the U8Q.
As you say, other Samsung models can use IPS.

You could consider the Samsung Q80A. May be less buggy vs Hisense but also is only 900 vs 1500 nits on the Hisense so a dimmer HDR TV.

IHaveNoIdea897

Novice Member
urgh.
Once again I have waited for too long..
The cheapest is now at 1050€.

What do you think about the U7qf for 650-700€ ?

I will wait until Cyber Monday and if there is nothing better this one will most likely my TV... unless the price will yet again rise seriously again..
And then adjust my budget for OLED in ~3 years.

Dodgexander

urgh.
Once again I have waited for too long..
The cheapest is now at 1050€.

What do you think about the U7qf for 650-700€ ?

I will wait until Cyber Monday and if there is nothing better this one will most likely my TV... unless the price will yet again rise seriously again..
And then adjust my budget for OLED in ~3 years.
You won't find something else with as good HDR for EUR650-700 but it's still not a proper HDR TV, so it's worth waiting for something better imo.

IHaveNoIdea897

Novice Member

Hisense 55A81G​

for 700€
It´s smaller than wanted, but might be worth it...but I am completely unable to find any tests for this one.

oh...
and there is the LG A1 for 850€

Last edited:

Dodgexander

The U8 and U7 are downgrades on last years models are not to be compared. They are for people who are looking for TVs with wider viewing angles, at the cost of poorer picture quality.

The Hisense A81G OLED is a mid tier OLED similar to Philips OLED706, 806, LG C1, Panasonic JZ980, 1000 and Sony A80J.

The LG A1 runs with a 60hz panel so is a tier beneath.

If you are comparing each OLED manufacturer differences are small, but Hisense are a bit behind the others with picture processing, so you may consider spending a bit more for a more polished TV. You cannot argue at that price for the Hisense OLED though.

IHaveNoIdea897

Novice Member
Hi, I have since a few days the A81G here and I have a frew questions, especially regarding calibrating the picture.
Should I ask here or somewhere else?

mikej

The best option would be to post in the Sony forum. If there is no A81G owner's thread, then you'll either need to find an owner's thread for the closest equivalent UK model or start your own.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 26th January 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Huawei begins P50 Pocket and P50 Pro smartphone global rollout
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audioengine launches compact S6 powered subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW UK for February 2022