Question What TV to choose within budget 700 eur / 800 usd

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by sweetohmygod, Sep 16, 2016.

1. sweetohmygod

sweetohmygod
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,

Finally moved and with moving comes great responsability so i need to buy a new TV within Budget. To be honest, the research that i and some friends have made point that i can get a Samsung 49KU6400 or Samsung 50KU6000. The size has to be 49 to 51 inch , 55 seems to big and anything below 49 seems well...a bit too small.

So my questions is, in this budget, can i get a better option then the above Samsungs within the recommended specs? Those are 4K entry levels as far as i've seen, but im open to suggestions. Maybe 4K isnt even for me?

My former TV was a 40H6400 from Samsung, seemed nice, the ocassional lag or boot error but nobody's perfect.

TV will be used for gaming Xbox 360/One and Ps4, Digital Cable, Fire Stick streaming, and laptop connecting (Asus Rog).

Budget is 700 euro/800usd/600gbp

Please note that Vizio And Roku TVs are not available in my country.

Im open to any suggestions or extra questions.

Thanks in advance and cheers!

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    To step up from the KU series in quality you are looking at the Panasonic DX-700, there isn't any models that sit between the two price wise that I can recommend more than the KU Samsung TVs. Most of all other TV's at that price have IPS panels unless you want to go the route of a 2015 like a Sony X80/83/85 or Samsung J series TV, but those have problems with android TV.

3. sweetohmygod

sweetohmygod
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the answer. So the bestbpick fornmy money is the ku6400 or ku6000. Tbh i was wondering if there is an improvement between the 2 models, around 90 euro difference and what i saw is lower power consumtion and the 1400 instead of 1500 pqi. Maybe i can find a deal at the dx 700. Wqs wondering about lgs or sharp tvs...

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    LGs usually use IPS panels so tend to have inferior contrast and blacks. Not sure about Sharp but it's likely they are built by vestel as budget TVs so probably not the best choice. The main flaw with the KU Samsung's are judder with films if you notice judder it's worth saving for the Panasonic in my opinion.

Btw there's no difference between KU models in picture quality. Just features and design.

5. sweetohmygod

sweetohmygod
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have no ideea if i can see judder. I have the h6400 and it was fine. On this model the judder is that bad? Heard that i can be edited out of settings?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    Judder and motion are different things. Your old TVs plays films correctly at 24hz without judder whilst the new KU Samsung's don't.

This is only applicable to films either from Blu-ray or online. It doesn't stand for watching films on TV.

See Judder-free 24p on TVs

You might not notice it.

Your old H6400 is a great TV and a hard act to follow at your budget.

7. sweetohmygod

sweetohmygod
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Damn... Should i consider to sticking at a1080ptv? Or maybe go down to ju6000/6400? Is it unfixable?

8. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    If you don't want judder I would save to afford Panasonic DX-700 or Sony XD80 to get a decent upgrade. Any less and you start to see TVs which have IPS panels so worse contrast and blacks than the H6400.In lots of cases people still look to buy your TV. It's only 2 years old 2014 model. Do you still have that TV?

Otherwise there's also last year's Sony x80c series but they have problems with android TV. If you can find a last year's Panasonic CX-680 or 700 it would also be good or even Samsung JS TV if discounted.

At 1080p you could look for Sony w80c series TVs or curved Samsung J6300.

JU6000 and JU6400 also have judder. - doesn't make sense I know.

Judder isn't fixable. It's just what happens when a TV can't adjust to 24hz or a multiple of to be smooth during films. It's not a fault it's just some TVs do it some don't. Most people won't even notice judder.

9. sweetohmygod

sweetohmygod
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, i still have that H6400 at my parents home, it's 40inch. really enjoyed. Before i started searching for the 4k option, i was taking into consideration bringing that one in and buying some entry level for my parents.

I found a CX-680E within budget, like 30 euro cheaper then KU6400. At sony are you talking about
    SONY KD-49X8005C? thats withinbudget also as i saw it. Also i found within budget the 50H6400...

And also the TX-49DX600E within budget. Myabe ill just keep searching for a good offer. If any of the models i posted are any good, they should be fine.

Im doing this for the sake of my money tbh, searching for the best outcome within budget. Because you can imagine the level of frustration if someone buys a TV that is worse compared to his last one haha

10. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    Yes those are the models I was talking about. Not sure about the DX-600E I think it may have an IPS panel which makes it inferior.

11. sweetohmygod

sweetohmygod
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For the dx600 says LED Backlit panel. 49X8005C has no HDR as i found out and any opinions on XD7005?

12. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    At your budget HDR isn't worth thinking about. Any tv's at that price that advertise it will accept a HDR signal but not display it correctly. XD7005 uses a IPS panel, you want to be going for a TV with a VA panel for better blacks and contrast.

13. sweetohmygod

sweetohmygod
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Still searching for the best option now, was actually considering thr cx680 and now i see a promo for the lg uh635v. Any opinions? It has mva panel (or so i read on display spec wrbsite) dont know what to make of it. What do you think?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  14. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    Not entirely sure what panel it has. I wouldn't trust that website myself.

Flatpanelshd.com state LG told them that the 630v series didn't have an IPS panel (unlike the entire rest of there LCDs) yet they also didn't tell them what type it is. I would guess it's a VA, after all that's the only other different panel type but I'm not 100% sure. If it is the LG is likely a great buy.

Have you considered the Phillips 6401? It's a good value UHD TV for the money. Just be sure to calibrate it. Another alternative is the Phillips 6501. Yes it's an IPS panel but it has ambilight to defer this and also has perfect out of the box calibration.

15. sweetohmygod

sweetohmygod
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers yet again for your answer!! Really appreciate your time to answer.

I tend to overthink things like these and sadly the new 4k boom and my limited budget (which sadly won't increase any time soon) are killing me slowly.

Just to put you in my state of mind, my worst nightmare is to buy the a TV and not be fully convinced that i have made the best option within budget. All the rage is now about Samsung, Sony and LG, but in the back of my mind, no facts or anything, LG doesnt seem like a good option unless you get the OLED, which i'm no where close to. Heard Panasonic is ok, but not Phillips. Again, this is just things you just hear or is a general consensus.

Yesterday evening i was seriously considering to buy a FHD tv instead of 4k. The amount of details, of extra options, display types, ratios and what not tend to be overwhelming. I think my best bet is to get something that ticks all the boxes. Low gaming MS, no judder, great picture quality and maybe HDR (hell i dont even know how to differentiate that or EVEN IF I NEED IT).

The deal with this TV is that reagarding LG i can't make up my mind if its ok (they go for really low prices on 4k tvs and have a TON of models), Samsung seems great but it has judder (or so i've read as you said yourself), Sony i don't know what to say, probably ok (XD80 but it is overbudget), i havent even taken into consideration Phillips (although that ambilight seems sweet).

The PUS6501 is within budget, right at the upper edge.

But do these fit int he same mid range class? Like the Samsung ku6400 similar to Panasonic DX700 similar to XD80 similar to what LG or what Phillips or whatnot.

Long post, i know, sorry :(

Edit: also reading tv reviews, like the ones on 4k.com or rtings or similar, when i check the score ( say 7.5 out of 10), i think that it might be crappy and that im paying 40% more than i spend on the 40h6400 2 years ago and not getting quality out of it (or i might be crazy ). Thanks again

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  16. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    It's difficult to decide. The Phillips 6501 was recently reviewed on here as being a great budget TV. It has one of the best out of the box settings of a TV. It does however seem to be a IPS panel which means you will have worse black levels than say your older H6400 which uses a VA panel. HOWEVER it has ambilight and any form of lightning at the rear of the TV will make black's look dark so effectively this doesn't really matter. Because of this to it looks like the Phillips is a great TV.

I would suggest you see in that link on rtings I sent to if you notice movie judder first, most people don't. It's just a few repeated frames when watching movies.

If you don't then get the Samsung, if you do you're looking at the Panasonic DX-700/Phillips 6501 and if you can afford it the Sony XD80. None of these have judder and they all have decent input lag. (Not as good as the Samsung but still decent). I don't think the LG you mentioned has judder either but since there are no reviews and we don't know what panel it has its a risk.

17. sweetohmygod

sweetohmygod
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, still waiting for the prices to go down a bit. Got hold of a discounted CX700 that is around 625 euros, new. Also wanted to ask you, Amazon used section, is it worth it? cause i found a 600 quid 49KS7000 but it says used, like new and im quite excited about that one... ever used that?

Cheers

18. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    I don't have a clue about amazon used. If you do buy just make sure you get a good return policy.

19. sweetohmygod

sweetohmygod
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm back! Today is the big day, found a real nice discount on 2 options that we discussed. Its the Philips 49PUS6561 vs Panasonic TX-50DXU701.

Televizor LED Smart Ultra HD, Android, 123cm, PHILIPS 49PUS6561/12
    Televizor LED Smart Ultra HD, 127cm, PANASONIC VIERA TX-50DXU701

Those are the links. As i see it the PUS6561 has 3 sided Ambilight (compared to 2 sided for PUS6501) and i was aware only of DX700 (dunno if dxu701 is the same thing) and i was wondering which is the better options between these 2. Today is the day i will decide haha. Are they the same considering specs? (missed a massive deal on the XD83 sadly, altought even the XD83 has no dedicated processor for HDR, and i didnt have the money then).

As a small sidenote, i'm thinking the pus6561 is nice due to the ambilight gimmick, seeing that there a 110 euro difference between the 2 (the philips being the cheaper option)

So what do you think?

PS: i have 49PUS7101 as an option, it is like 200 euro more then the pus6561, but as i see it the only difference is the sound, which really isn't the point for this..

Thanks again!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  20. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051